FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Secret of Kells (also, game design)

Author Topic: Secret of Kells (also, game design)
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I finally saw Secret of Kells the other day, and then again last night. It's an independent animated movie about the writing of the Book of Kells (with some rather extensive artistic license). It is a gorgeous movie. Check out the trailer here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMPhHTtKZ8Q

The first time through, I was simply enamored with the movie. It has some good characters and great animation, and while it (ironically) has to employ some flashy FX to make the Book of Kells look cool, it does a good job of capturing the fact that, during the time period it was written, the Illuminated Manuscripts were like blockbuster CGI special effects.

It also just so happens that the day prior to watching Kells I played a game called Chalk which could best be described as a scrolling-shoot-puzzle-drawing game. It utilizes some of the ideas that I'd like to see in a Secret-of-Kells-inspired game, and when I watched the movie a second time I found that each scene was (pun not intended) chalk-full of ideas to analyze and exploit.

[ November 21, 2010, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: Raymond Arnold ]

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
(All puns aside, the term is "chock full," not "chalk full.")

P.S. I enjoyed Secret of Kells a great deal, but man was it more depressing than I expected.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to see it, and it is on my netflix instant queue.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you can watch in on Netflix streaming.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Secret of Kells, though at first I almost wished the animation style borrowed more from the Celtic illumination style. Not to say the animation was bad, I got over it and fully enjoyed the film. My husband says it's like Irish Samurai Jack.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Yeah, several people made the Samurai Jack comparison.

Spoilertalk-ish:

I didn't think it was actually that depressing, but I definitely did not expect things to get as grim as it did.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.