FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » getting rid of mouse(mice) in garage

Author Topic: getting rid of mouse(mice) in garage
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
what is the fastest most efficient way to rid myself of these vermin? I don't mind if its lethal or not, I just want them gone.

I tried the green blocks of poison from Lowes, but they were useless, they'd eat them, but I still hear/see the buggers.

I am guessing just the standard mouse trap? What is a good bait?

I must know quickly, because my wife is freaking out.... thanks you for any help!

Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
The standard mouse trap and a bit of peanut butter has worked for me, in the past.

Or you can get a cat. Sometimes they work. [Smile]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Peanut butter with chocolate chips stuck in it.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd eat peanut butter with chocolate chips stuck in it.

[Smile]

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
The "green blocks of poison" are intentionally slow acting. The mouse will become dehydrated and search for water. This prevents the mouse from dying in the wall and smelling. If they've eaten some of it, it is only a matter of time.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

The trap is set... (went with peanut butter in standard spring trap)
Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tstorm:

Yeah, but then you're stuck with a cat.

Unless you get something that likes to eat cats.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Get one of those massive rat-killer hotels they put along the walls in warehouses. Many mice will die in there. Or use tip traps with peanut butter if you love the mice!
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't get a cat if the mice have already eaten poison.
Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Glue traps have always worked best for me.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
quote:
Originally posted by Tstorm:

She swallowed a dog to catch the cat to catch the mouse...
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom bought some new kind of plastic reusable trap that was supposed to be easier to set that kills the mouse instantly. I went over to her house the other day and she was asking my dad to clear out the trap, only to find the hammer had snapped down, but left the mouse alive. My parents' plan was to let it die, then clean it out. Now, I'm perfectly fine with traps that kill mice, so long as they die in relatively short order (instantly, really), but I have a problem with letting any living thing suffer needlessly, especially because it's too icky to actually kill it yourself when your trap doesn't do it.

So after my parents steadfastly refused to kill the mouse, I took it outside and tried to free it, but it was clearly too maimed even after I released it and prodded it a little. So I killed it. Then I forbade my parents from using anything but the spring loaded old-fashioned traps that have never failed to kill them in the past.

Was kind of a surreal evening, but, I think I did the mouse a favor.

PS. Peanut butter ALWAYS worked for us growing up. We used to have terrible mice problems because our neighbor has this huge wood pile that they'd breed in. I think our record one year was something like 40 or 50 mice.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrain
Member # 12414

- posted      Profile for Rawrain   Email Rawrain         Edit/Delete Post 
Get a nice fluffy slipper and insert a set mouse trap with peanut butter on it ._.
Posts: 461 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:

That reminds me of The Simpsons:
quote:
SKINNER
Well, I was wrong. The lizards are a godsend.

LISA
But isn't that a bit short-sighted? What happens when we're overrun by lizards?

SKINNER
No problem. We simply unleash wave after wave of Chinese needle snakes. They'll wipe out the lizards.

LISA
But aren't the snakes even worse?

SKINNER
Yes, but we're prepared for that. We've lined up a fabulous type of gorilla that thrives on snake meat.

LISA
But then we're stuck with gorillas!

SKINNER
No, that's the beautiful part. When wintertime rolls around, the gorillas simply freeze to death.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
We have a possum living in our (open) garage. We just spray it with vinegar water when we catch it eating the cat's food. Works pretty well. [Smile]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
We have a possum living in our (open) garage. We just spray it with vinegar water when we catch it eating the cat's food. Works pretty well. [Smile]

But not so well that the possum has... y'know... left? He's still there?
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

one mouse down, the next trap is set

the peanut butter worked like a charm

RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

two down as of this morning

it would be different if they chipped in to the mortgage...

dem
Member # 2512

- posted      Profile for dem   Email dem         Edit/Delete Post 
My dogs loved to scoop up the field mice...bop them on the head.
Posts: 317 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrain
Member # 12414

Not sure about dogs, but cats can hear mice talking .___.
Posts: 461 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Buy a mongoose.

They're a much better conversational piece than a boring ol' cat.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrain
Member # 12414

Yes.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.