FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 3-Point Perspective (art)

Author Topic: 3-Point Perspective (art)
Rawrain
Member # 12414

- posted      Profile for Rawrain   Email Rawrain         Edit/Delete Post 
So I'm on my final art project and it seems it's too difficult for me, and everyone I personally know. I understand the concept, but not the method, I'm having a difficult time 'visualizing' HOW exactly I am supposed to write my name in a 3-pp manner.

I'm looking for advice, tips, tricks, methods, and [Insert] other words that are different but mean close enough to the same thing to bring about understanding for what I am asking.

My exact assignment is this:
http://www.portfolioseries.com/edu/resource/cpencil/letter.cfm

[ December 14, 2010, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: Rawrain ]

Posts: 461 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'll have to withhold my advice and/or sympathy for your plight until I have more information...
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
What are you having trouble with?

You need to pick 3 vanishing points (following the assignment) and write your name in a blocky format, making sure each line or side of the letter goes to one of the vanishing points. Look at the examples, see if you can figure out what's going on.

It'd be easier to help if you had specific questions. What specific points are you stuck on? There's not a lot of motivation to help someone who says "I know how to do this at all. Help"

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrain
Member # 12414

Thanks Human...

As for Whale, you understand what I do, blocky letters all edges going toward a vanishing point.
I have printed all the examples and studied their vanishing points I will let you know that 2 of the examples are incorrect being Lisa Corino and Sarah Sherber.

After many attempts at trying to do this project most my letters turned out to look like a very bad S similar to Sarah Sherber's... which is actually incorrect if you look at it.

Posts: 461 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rawrain:
My exact assignment is this:
hhtp://www.portfolioseries.com/edu/resource/cpencil/letter.cfm

How can you mistype a url? Why would anyone type in a url into a forum post instead of copying and pasting it?
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know much about art perspective, but is it possible that the reason you think the examples are wrong is because you assume they are one type of perspective (3 point or 4 point) when they are the other?

Just a guess. I find it unlikely that the teacher posted badly done examples of the assignment.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Corino's piece does contain a few errors. This could be due to small coloring mistakes. The overall effect still comes through, though.

Sherber's piece looks like it's borrowing a bit from Escher. It's a nice little play on what you can do with this type of drawing system, actually. Her lines are all quite orderly.

Here's a quick S I threw together. I can understand why that letter in particular would be difficult. Try to work on one plane at a time. If you can use really large paper (like 18"x24") that will help also.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
That's lovely and quite illustrative, Juxtapose.
Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

Thanks. [Smile]

Rawrain, if you don't mind sharing your real name, you should post your project. If that's uncomfortable for you, no worries.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrain
Member # 12414

Thanks Juxtapose for your example it will help me alot :D

As for my name, I don't really disclose on forums specially the ones where no one really agrees with me(openly, as I cannot read minds only words) but I will tell you some letters
RAWRAIN has most of my letters in it from both my first and last name, whereas the only missing letters are T U S H E

So all the letters are T U "S" H E W R "A" I N
S is done by you of course and I am working on A reverse enginering your S XD

Rawrain
Member # 12414

U** http://imgur.com/lY5Ql.png
I http://imgur.com/gAXi8.png
A http://imgur.com/P30z5.png
N* http://imgur.com/9pzpi.png

*N needs assistance, the diagonal line has thrown me out of my loop ):

**U feels to me, to be wrong, but I can't put my finger on it ....

Juxtapose thanks for the color scheme too XD the schools printer only does blank and whiteand your colors seem to be the only ones that are distinguishable enough to differentiate sides [Big Grin] [Sleep]

[ December 14, 2010, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: Rawrain ]

Juxtapose
Member # 8837

quote:
As for my name, I don't really disclose on forums...
I understand. No biggie.

quote:
U feels to me, to be wrong, but I can't put my finger on it ....
It has to do with the bottom segment of the U (the segment that would be horizontal if you were looking at it straight on).
Rawrain
Member # 12414

Ah, I am still working on the letters if you can figure out my name just keep it to yourself please XD, I don't mind people knowing my name really, but in any worse case scenario I end up stabbing a stalker or getting shot...

A* http://imgur.com/VvGh9.png
H http://imgur.com/Gte3m.png

*has been corrected

I will review U after what you said XD

N and W are going to be too difficult for me ~_~

CT
Member # 8342

Try to draw the base of both uprights of the N along the same line.

Mike Cheng has a nice example of a blue & red "N" at the bottom of his drawing (see his example at the site you provided above: http://www.portfolioseries.com/edu/resource/cpencil/letter.cfm )

---

edited to add: Juxtapose is pointing out the light blue part of your "U." It should be more like the base of the "G" in the Mike Cheng drawing. That one ["G"] is tilted the other way, but the strategy is the same -- trace out where each of his lines connects at the bottom.

You are doing great!

Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

It looks like you're making all the letters individually, with an eye towards reassembling them at the end. Is that correct?

If so, I'd recommend against it. I think you'll find you're going to have a difficult time getting the letters to "fit" next to each other really well. It might not even technically meet the criteria of the assignment - although each letter will be done in 3 point perspective, the name as a whole will not.

When I was learning how to write, way back in kindergarten, we used really wide-ruled paper, and every rule had a dotted line running down the middle of it, so it looked like a road. We had to match up our letters to different parts of the rule. Capital letters go up to this high, but lower case only go up that high.

If you think about your perspective lines, you can use them the same way, so that you're designing your entire name at once. Pick your vanishing points, then just draw a few lines to use as guides. One line can serve multiple purposes. For example, the same line could be used to form the middle sections of the A and the H.

If what I've said doesn't make any sense at all, you should show the letters you've created to your teacher. [Smile]

(Don't be discouraged. The individual letters look great.)

Rawrain
Member # 12414

:3 I am doing them all individually so I can see how all the lines fall, knowing how they fall and what to do to make all the letters look pretty, makes it easier for me to put them all together ..

my process' are weird, afterall I had to rip apart your S just to make sense of most this ._.

Juxtapose
Member # 8837

OK, awesome.

It definitely seems like you're getting the hang of it.

CT
Member # 8342

I think the fact that you are doing them individually speaks to your motivation to actually learn the techniques underlying the assignment. Bravo!

Like Juxtapose, I think you'll find that doing them together is substantially different, but that step will come. You are making such progress!

CT
Member # 8342

(Also, much credit to Juxtapose for his work above.)
Rawrain
Member # 12414

:D

e http://imgur.com/rZlK2.png

I decided to switch to lower case, it will make my N problem go away but the W is still thine enemy >;o

Juxtapose
Member # 8837

Thanks again, CT. [Smile]

Rawrain, there are many different shapes that people will recognize as a W that don't contain diagonals.

(There are actually rules for dealing with diagonal lines in perspective drawing. If your teacher hasn't gone over them, I'm guessing you won't get dinged for not including them.)

CT
Member # 8342

quote:
[Big Grin]

e http://imgur.com/rZlK2.png

I decided to switch to lower case, it will make my N problem go away but the W is still thine enemy >;o

Your "e" is suffering from some of the same problems as the "U" was. The green parts should each represent a section with some parallel lines. For example, in the top green section, you have a triangle, where it should be a trapezoid.

I will try to mock up something in Paint to isolate that part.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll105/Seatea_2008/ein3d.jpg

---

Okay, I added 4 lines to address that one consistant problem I think you have. (I went ahead and did it, because you are soooo close! Don't stop now!) I think you are missing a step with each slice of that sort -- it needs to be tied to the 3rd perspective point. See if what I did makes sense and if it looks more complete to you.

-------

Edited to add: And, of course, if Juxtapose disagrees, I will defer. It's only an interest of mine, not a trained area.

Juxtapose
Member # 8837

Good catch. [Smile]

And your corrections look spot on to me.

Rawrain
Member # 12414

i can't check photobucket the school blocks it, I'm trying to see the error in my e but I don't XD as for the W my teacher isn't an art teacher and he knows less than I do about perspective.. my expertise is 1pp and 2pp but 3 and 4pp are confusing.... W = 4pp which I have done even less of that than 3 point
CT
Member # 8342

Hmmm. I don't know where else to host it. Can you access any forum where people have pictures posted in the threads, Rawrain? I could also send it as an email attachment.
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

The errors are in the top and bottom green planes. Each has a perspective line running towards the wrong vanishing point.
CT
Member # 8342

I sent it to you via your Hotmail account from my (throwaway) yahoo account, Rawrain. My Norton AntiVirus prescanned it as an attachment, as well, and I believe it is safe to open.
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

CT's corrected e: http://imgur.com/p4Btj.jpg

Edit - beated!

Rawrain
Member # 12414

Au in the same dimension http://imgur.com/3ayN6.png
removed all the gray lines aswell

Ahh noticed a small mistake, there should be just a little green under the 2 bases of A ._.

Thanks guys, School's over for me today, I will let ya'll see the finished Paint version, I still would need to do it on paper, but for all purposes it shows progress >;o

Also, thanks CT for finding and correcting my mistake .. it's unlikely ever to occur again X3

CT
Member # 8342

quote:
Au in the same dimension http://imgur.com/3ayN6.png
removed all the gray lines aswell

Here's the trick: look at the lower green panel on the A. Focus on the leftmost corner. That needs to be connected to the rightmost perspective point.

See this, for example: http://imgur.com/rY47x

Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
Rawrain, for your capital N, you needed one more line for the back of your diagonal to match the front of your diagonal

http://imgur.com/nwvJd.png

edit: also, I just noticed, your left horizaontal is more forward than your right horizontal, in case you didn't realize that.

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

What Sean said. The bottoms of both vertical portions of the N should be created using the same perspective line. As it is now, it looks like the N is walking.
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
Just a quick comment to say that while I know absolutely nothing about what y'all are doing, it has been fascinating to read about it and to look at the pictures. Thanks!
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrain
Member # 12414

S is quite hard when you're cramming it with other letters, the problem with MS Paint is I can't zoom as I am trying to make lines,so this isn't easy ._.
Rawrain
Member # 12414

Aust http://imgur.com/0Xi0p.png

maybe some mistakes I dunno it's hard to tell sometimes ._.

I always use png files because there are no distortions involved when saving in this format with MsPaint unlike Jpeg which messes up all the pixels /:

[ December 15, 2010, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: Rawrain ]

CT
Member # 8342

quote:
Aust http://imgur.com/0Xi0p.png

maybe some mistakes I dunno it's hard to tell sometimes ._.

Oh wow, looks awesome!
Rawrain
Member # 12414

[Big Grin] thanks On my big one, I am making the letters interconnect a little ;o
Currently on the letter t which is going to be supperimposed behind all the other letters ._.

CT
Member # 8342

This has been so cool to watch. You've gotten really good at this technique.
Rawrain
Member # 12414

Done with my real assignment, turned it in got an 88% ( Should have been 90% but he bumped me down 2% for complaining /: ) I am officially done with art now... all I have left is English and I get a fancy diploma .___.

http://imgur.com/9aNtm.png
Finished that, couldn't get the n just right due to how small everything shrinks down XD

Juxtapose
Member # 8837

Looks good there, Rawrain. [Smile]
Rawrain
Member # 12414

Thanks :D, but it's time to let this topic die, unless some other curious wonderer wants to know how to do this then we can provide assistence neh?
CT
Member # 8342

You could help them figure out exactly what to do. [Smile]

"W" was whooping my bum, but I did an interconnected "CT" with points to left, right, and below (instead of above) here.

Juxtapose
Member # 8837

I like the CT. It's a good composition.

W - http://imgur.com/g226M.jpg
X - http://imgur.com/35x2i.jpg

I forgot how much fun I have doing this kind of drawing. [Big Grin]

Rawrain
Member # 12414

Holy crap Juxtapose ): you made me look bad

Good job though the w and x blew my mind .___.

CT
Member # 8342

Awesome!

I think the trick is realizing that the diagonals of the W are not solely determined in relationship to vanishing points.

I really, really like the "X."

Rawrain
Member # 12414

From what I read letter's like M W and X require an additional vanishing point for what I assume would be the diagonals... But Juxtapose didn't use a 4th point and both X and W seem absolutely perfect...

Juxtapose - Master of Artistic Perspective

Thanks to both of you guys all I have left is English to do and I will graduate ;D

Juxtapose
Member # 8837

Basically, the way you do diagonals is to determine the start and end point of each diagonal line using two different vanishing points.

If either of you would be interested, I can draw up a quick tutorial.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.