FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » LXD has gotten pretty good

Author Topic: LXD has gotten pretty good
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
A while ago I posted about the Legion of Extraordinary Dancers, an experimental webseries on hulu that's basically a cross between Heroes and "Step Up II: The Streets". Have you spent your whole life wishing someone had created a cross between "Heroes" and "Step Up II: The Streets?" No? Well, neither did I. But as it turns out, it's pretty cool.

The "plot" is... well, pretty silly. Basically a bunch of people have superpowers - levitation, spacetime manipulation, etc - and all those superpowers translate to "and that means he can dance really well." Levitation? He can do awesome backflips. Spacetime Manipulation? He can pop an' lock like nobody's business. (It's a little unclear who exactly has what power if you don't go to the website and find out there).

Why does it matter that they can dance awesome? Eventually we find out the dancing awesome gives you awesome magic psychic blast powers. (For some reason you need this in addition to your ability to manipulate the fabric of spacetime).

And there are good people with dance powers and bad people with dance powers. And they keep trying to get new recruits and do various good and/or evil things. I guess.

Whatever.

The point is not the story, which is laughable, but the cinematography and overall feel, which is pretty awesome. The first bunch of webisodes (each about 10 minutes long) just show individual people discovering their powers and hinting at some future story. But at the end of season 2, we finally get an awesome showdown.

All the good guys and bad guys face off against each other in a Wild Wild West town, with a few of the main characters dueling each other individually. It's really amazing dance and fight choreography, with a combination of psychic "blast" attacks and physical punches and gunplay.

Frankly, it's not terribly important to watch the entire series to check out the last two episodes. But if you haven't seen it, I'd recommend at least checking out Robot Love Story, one of the earlier episodes that was particularly artistic and showcases the best parts of the show pretty well.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrain
Member # 12414

- posted      Profile for Rawrain   Email Rawrain         Edit/Delete Post 
No.

- Disagrees strongly with the concept of this show.

Posts: 461 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't like dance mixed with your sci fi shows, or you don't like sci-fi mixed with your dance?

If I were judging this as a sci-fi show, it'd fail terribly. But I'm judging it as experimental dance videos, at which I think it succeeds tremendously.

[ December 15, 2010, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: Raymond Arnold ]

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Also, have you actually seen it or just judged reflexively from my description.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
I misread the title of this topic.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Depending on what you misread it as, they probably did that on purpose.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.