FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lunar Eclipse

Author Topic: Lunar Eclipse
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a full lunar Eclipse tonight (~3 am EST). Its the first time since 1554 that there has been a a lunar eclipse on the winter solstice and (possibly) only the second time the two events have coincided in the last 2 millenia.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, I'll be working the graveyard shift tonight so I will definatly make sure to watch. Although it will be hard to notice through the ambient lights of Phoenix.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
It's a confluence of ephermal power of the highest magnitude! Mwa-ha-ha-ha!

Prepare the ritual. . . .

Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Or the moon will just turn funny colors, or what you said. Who knows?
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Total eclipse on December 21st, mid-eclipse at 3:17am Eastern Time
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
And, as usual, mother nature has decided to get her freak on for the first time in weeks. We've got ~50% chance of seeing this. I look for that to drop to 0 as the time approaches and I make plans to stay up/wake up for this event. Oh, look, the observatory is open! Nevermind, there's suddenly a chance for snow!

<< mother nature laughing maniacally at me >>

Kansas and astronomy do NOT mix.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Herblay:

Lowest magnitude, I'd think.

It's only been 13 years since there was a full moon on the summer solstice. I guess this is the opposite of that.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aeolusdallas
Member # 11455

- posted      Profile for aeolusdallas   Email aeolusdallas         Edit/Delete Post 
So why did the moon turn red after it was eclipsed? I would have thought it would just be flat out black.
Posts: 305 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aeolusdallas:
So why did the moon turn red after it was eclipsed? I would have thought it would just be flat out black.

It has been steeped in the blood of innocents.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
It's beautiful. I got a couple of decent shots so far.....I REALLY need a tripod for low light shots, my hands are too shaky.

I will upload them tomorrow and post links. [Smile]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Originally posted by Herblay:

Lowest magnitude, I'd think.

It's only been 13 years since there was a full moon on the summer solstice. I guess this is the opposite of that.

I guess that depends on how you view the significance of an eclipse.

The way I see it, the significance of an eclipse occurring on the longest night of the year (in the northern hemisphere) is that it will occur when its dark over the largest possible fraction of the populated portion of the planet. (90% of the human population live in the northern hemisphere). That means more people will have the chance to see it.

An eclipse that occurs on the summer solstice (shortest night of the year in the northern hemisphere, will indeed be the opposite. It will occur when it's dark over the smallest possible fraction of the northern hemisphere, hence fewer people will have the chance to see it.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Boo! I couldnt see a single speck of light in the sky.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

I forgot to say, it was indeed beautiful. I look forwad to seeing your pictures Kwea.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Earth's atmosphere still refracts the Sun's light. Since the atmosphere absorbs the blue light, red remains.

ETA: Or NASA could explain it better...

quote:
The moon takes on this new color because indirect sunlight is still able to pass through Earth's atmosphere and cast a glow on the moon. Our atmosphere filters out most of the blue colored light, leaving the red and orange hues that we see during a lunar eclipse. Extra particles in the atmosphere, from say a recent volcanic eruption, will cause the moon to appear a darker shade of red.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
I forgot to say, it was indeed beautiful. I look forwad to seeing your pictures Kwea.

I am looking forward to your pictures, too. It was too cloudy here to see anything.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
quote:

Earth's atmosphere still refracts the Sun's light. Since the atmosphere absorbs the blue light, red remains.

ETA: Or NASA could explain it better...

quote:
The moon takes on this new color because indirect sunlight is still able to pass through Earth's atmosphere and cast a glow on the moon. Our atmosphere filters out most of the blue colored light, leaving the red and orange hues that we see during a lunar eclipse. Extra particles in the atmosphere, from say a recent volcanic eruption, will cause the moon to appear a darker shade of red.

Fun fact, when the moon is on the horizon, just about to rise or set it's also very red. Of course you need a very low, very clear horizon to see this- I've only noticed this at professional observatories and on airplanes.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Huffington Post has some great photos of the event last night.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw quite a bit of it last night, I believe Niki saw a little more.

Was very cool [Smile] .

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
We couldn't see a thing here. There was pretty thick cloud cover over the whole sky.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
It was really misty here, but I caught some of the end of it. Pretty neat.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Heavy cloud cover here throughout the whole night. I kept going outside to see if there was anything to see, but it was always socked in. Alas, I'll have to wait for the next one.

There's one in June and one in December of 2011, but they don't look so great for viewing from North America.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.