FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help with Gardening

Author Topic: Help with Gardening
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
So for almost ten years my Dad has been growing tomatoes in our garden.

At one point, his tomatoes were so good and bountiful that people in the community would come by to pick up the many extras. They were really something. Past few years, however, they've been not so great.

I'm convinced that there is soil depletion. But we've never gotten round to checking for it.

I want to see my Dad get excited about gardening again as it was one of his true passions. So he's no longer interested in tomatoes, but is thinking about something else, like a peach tree.

We live outside Boston. Might anyone have any suggestions on stuff to grow that might work well, or thoughts on any of this that could be helpful?

Thanks! =)

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother in law has a site called Gardens Green. She often gives free advice. Visit WWW.Gardensgreen.com. Send her an email with the question and mention that her son-in-law Dan sent you. She should give you some good advice.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother sends soil samples to the extension service of the local agricultural university, and they tell him what to add. You might try that.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I second Tatiana's recommendation; if soil depletion is the problem then it's going to need to be addressed no matter what alternative he chooses. Google "agricultural extension" and your state and you should find places that can help. In the meantime, amending with good compost should help any soil if he doesn't already do so.

There are also soilborne diseases that could be affecting your Dad's tomatoes. I have found that giving a location a rest for a couple of years and then trying again there sometimes helps.

Also, is there the same availability to light that he had when he started growing them? If trees have grown and shade has increased, that would be a problem for tomatoes.

Sorry I'm not much help in the alternative crop suggestion department. Peach trees are way out of my realm of experience, but I know my mother had success with them in our backyard garden on Long Island years ago.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.