FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Whig advice

Author Topic: Whig advice
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Better it were for Whigs and Whiggery, meetin' the Deil, than Donald McGillavry!
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mean the Devil? [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I mean the Deil, pronounced DEE-ill. The song is in Laland Scots, which is superficially similar to English but not the same language:

quote:
Donald's the callant that brooks nae tangledness;
Whigging and prigging and a'newfangledness,
They maun be gane: he winna be baukit, man:
He maun hae justice, or faith he'll tak it, man.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking about making such a Dobie.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
Ehh, my google-fu only brings up the Devil.

I guess I'm the one bringing up the Devil, then. [Evil]

Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if the people who are amused by this dobie actually read the content of the other thread.

If so, then my mistake. Please carry on.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

I didn't, actually. Why?
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
um.....

(for the record, I DID think it was funny and I'd read the other thread, but if MattP was offended it'd be pretty justified)

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Matt isn't offended. I'm not sure it's worth potentially offending him given the situation, but I'm not the forum police, so... [Smile]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Ok look, I'm not saying I'm above taking a bit of Schadenfreude in posting something I think will piss people off, but I do think you're being truly hypersensitive here - and on someone else's behalf, at that. Dobies are a well-established form of humour on this forum, and they are not taken as mocking the subject matter of the original thread. Wordplay is not mockery.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Nah, I'm not being that sensitive. I'm not saying you should delete it or anything. I was just curious.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.