FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Southwest Airlines - Not Just Cheap, But Awesome

Author Topic: Southwest Airlines - Not Just Cheap, But Awesome
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Many of you may have already seen this story. Is it my imagination, or does nearly every really nice story of an Airline doing the right thing for people always feature Southwest?

Anyhoo, just a nice story I felt like sharing with people. [Smile]

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw that. Great story.

What I liked the most about it I think was the fact that they realized this was a clear exception to the rule. We often talk about faceless corporate America, but we forget that faceless corporate America often has a problem recognizing customers as humans as well. Here's a case where a Captain exercised his judgment and was backed up on it by the head honchos. I'm pleased and impressed.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

Yeah.

On an unrelated note, Lyrhawn, while I've got you here: Sorry to bail on our conversation in the other thread, I just felt like I needed to take a break from it for a while. Hope it didn't bother you that I never replied.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, this is obviously a terrible situation, but I'm so glad the pilot did the right thing.

Not every experience I've had with Southwest has been great, but for the most part they're pretty good to fly with. I was actually just on a flight with them yesterday, and one of the flight attendants really went above and beyond. The whole crew was funny and tried to make the flight enjoyable for everyone.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

That has been my experience as well, DDDaysh. I almost always fly Southwest. They are far from perfect, but overall it seems like their business model very much encourages their employees to act like human beings, and treat their customers the same way.

I've flown with United once or twice and the experience was consistently much, much worse.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
Yeah.

On an unrelated note, Lyrhawn, while I've got you here: Sorry to bail on our conversation in the other thread, I just felt like I needed to take a break from it for a while. Hope it didn't bother you that I never replied.

I was interested to see what you had to say, but I'm not particularly bothered. If you'd like to respond, or even email me, that's fine. If you want out of the madhouse, that's fine too. No biggie. Plenty of other voices picked up the conversation, though, not in a particularly productive way.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Southwest. Cheap flights, you can check a bag without a fee, change a flight without a fee, and the people just seem genuinely nice. I haven't not flown Southwest in a few years.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
On a related, or perhaps unrelated not, a pilot for the Tunisian airline refused to take off when he discovered that 5 of the recently ousted presidential family were aboard his plane--all wanted by the mob, er--authorities for various crimes.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for Southwest. I've never had an unpleasant experience with their workers, and I've laughed quite a bit. They seem to enjoy having fun.

On one flight a flight attendant used a rubber chicken during the safety presentation instead of a mask. It was pretty funny. I've read that they have done this on other flights as well.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't fly often but when I do, I love flying Southwest. My grandma and I both flew Southwest into Houston to visit my family for Christmas (she came from St. Louis, myself from New Orleans.) My flight crew was quick and on their game. Flying on Christmas Eve should have been a nightmare but we left and arrived exactly on time.

My grandmother said her flight attendant sang the entire safety presentation on her flight.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but if you bend the rules for one guy, you start having to bend them for everyone. What if people start poisoning their grandchildren so they can have flights held for them? Huh? Huh?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.