FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bipartisan Seating at the State of the Union

Author Topic: Bipartisan Seating at the State of the Union
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a somewhat amusing take on Sen. Udall's inspired move for Legislators to voluntarily desegregate their seating for the SotU.

Some might dismiss this as empty symbolism but I think it's a really positive move. I think increasing the sociality among legislators, particularly across party lines, would go a long way toward improving the ability of House and Senate members in doing their job as representatives of the people.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
So how many Americans need to die to get Senate to have lunch together.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, but can we nominate people for the job?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iglee
Member # 12455

- posted      Profile for iglee   Email iglee         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, I was hoping to see some fist fights. Oh well. I guess you can’t have everything.

Seriously though, this is a nice move and I’m glad to hear about it.

Posts: 71 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
I don't know, but can we nominate people for the job?

Scott, I'm sorry but I'm now going to have to hold you responsible for all the people who get shot in the United States. This is the sort of climitizing of hatredness up with which we cannot put.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Are you accepting volunteers to do the massacring or the massacred?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Sorry, I've already got a date. Pelosi turns down Cantor's invitation to sit together at the SotU.

From the blog post:
quote:
[T]his morning, NBC's Luke Russert reported that Cantor's chief of staff had invited Pelosi to sit next to the Leader. Hours later, Pelosi tweeted:
quote:
I thank @GOPLeader for his #SOTU offer, but I invited my friend Rep. Bartlett from MD yesterday & am pleased he accepted.

FWIW, Rep. Bartlett (Pelosi's 'date') is a Republican.

Poor Cantor; what's a Majority Leader gonna do?

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
My stars, this is turning into prom. What about the poor Republicans left over after all the Democrats are taken?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
That would be awesome if Cantor did the big stretch and ended up with his arm around Pelosi's shoulders. And later they went to Dairy Queen.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
My stars, this is turning into prom. What about the poor Republicans left over after all the Democrats are taken?

Honestly, I think it's kind of nice anyway. Of course everybody is going to get all cynical about it, but I think something like a traditional bi-partisan "date" complete with the congresspeople having dinner together beforehand with their spouses would probably be a good thing.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:

Ha! I imagine they will have to go together or stag, perhaps have their photo taken at the booth as well.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
I cannot escape the strong feeling that this is just a stunt. I hope no fist-fights break out.

SenojRetep--cute Churchillian evocation. "up with which I must put" has long been one of my favorite Churchill quotes. (Actually, he did not say it, it was something he wrote angrily onto the margin of a speech some copy editor had tried to "correct.")

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, of course it's a stunt.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
AFR: *laugh*
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.