FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ayn Rand is Rolling -- Atlas Shrugged Movie (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ayn Rand is Rolling -- Atlas Shrugged Movie
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
My biggest objection was the principle of ripping somebody apart emotionally and even somewhat physically then building them up again from scratch.

No quibble from me there.
Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to interrupt the thread drift (yes, landmark sucks) but the official title for the drinking game is going to be "atlas chugged"
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who went to Landmark. She called me up one day and said "so, Ray, I joined a cult!" She explained the structure of the weekend. She identified the "cult-like" qualities, but did so in a value-neutral way.

She said some people in the audience got completely transformed. She just walked away with some new tools, but she found it a very powerful experience that was worth having at least once in her life.

One thing I've been wondering about is the power that comes from communal experiences. They can be extremely dangerous, but they also seem to offer things that can't really be found elsewhere.

From what I can tell, the only thing that makes Landmark ethically questionable is that they do their sales pitch AFTER breaking you down psychologically and rebuilding you in their image. I don't know if there's a way to actually legislate this, but I think transactions should require consent and at the end of a Landmark weekend, you aren't able to give it.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CT:

***Edited to add: Egads, the last bit sounds snotty/condescending. Just now noticed you have been around a few years -- my apologies! I thought you were new, and that is why I was going into detailed explanation, which I now see you doubtlessly already knew.

You are in good company. I just explained to my husband a piece of information that he has, in fact, covered in his teaching to classes at university. Oops. Sorry, sweetheart.

It has been a stellar night.

You are not alone either.
I once introduced someone to his own roommate. [Wink]

"Atlas Chugged" is brilliant.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
from inbetween a lot of the obviously turfed reviews

quote:
Is the actor's portrayal of Dagny wooden? Dagny is the embodiment of Rand's ideal, an inhuman creature without compromise or compassion. Wooden yes! But that is not a defect in the acting or script! She is RANDs character, accurately realized on the screen.
ok well then good job objectivism
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/3089-Atlas-Shrugged
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Movie is a flop, exercise equipment CEO bows before Power Of The Market and vows to quit, currently out $16+ million, schadenfreude shockafella, or whatever.

quote:
Despite the objective fact that Ayn Rand is the finest philosopher in history and the greatest novelist ever born, "Atlas Shrugged," the film version of her magnum opus, is not doing very well at the box office. After a very good opening weekend in limited release, "Atlas Shrugged: Part 1" quickly sank upon opening in more theaters.

And so its producer, an exercise equipment company CEO (I mean a DYNAMIC PRIME MOVER) who spent $20 million of his own money to finally put Rand's vision on the big screen, is giving up. The film will not expand to 1,000 screens. The second part of the trilogy will not be produced. (That is the real shame, here: The second part is where hundreds of people die horrifically of asphyxiation. And the best part is that they all totally deserve it for being "looters.") (No one will miss part three, which would've just been a three-hour-long speech.)

And so John Aglialoro, the film's producer, will "go Galt" and retire to the desert, where his ability to manage a company that produces exercise equipment will allow him to create the perfect society:

Back in that first wonderful weekend, when the film briefly looked like a success, the Randians were all convinced that the disdain of critics -- the ultimate looters -- meant nothing. The combined forces of liberal Hollywood, which conspired to keep the film from being made because of their insane devotion to collectivism, were no match for the truth of Rand's words made animate!

Now, though, those stupid critics ruined everything. Damn those all-powerful film critics! Even America's hedge fund managers are no match for their wizardry!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.