FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Tech support help (data recovery)

Author Topic: Tech support help (data recovery)
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I seem to only come out of the woodwork when I need help (but that's because you have always been so helpful! [Smile] ), but here goes:

My wife's laptop suddenly died last week (motherboard failure). I'm trying to transfer her files from the old HD to her new laptop (an Acer w/ Windows 7) using this cable, but it won't let me.

The old HD (w/ Windows XP) still works and I can see it on the new computer (and on my desktop at home and at work), in fact, I can go so far as to find the files she wants, 'copy' (or 'cut') them, navigate back to the new computer and 'paste' before getting an 'access denied' message.

I tried booting from the old HD (via the USB cable) but couldn't get that to work.

Anyone have any suggestions for getting her files transferred?

Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Could it be a permission thing?
Try going to Properties->Security and try getting Full control or ownership of the files.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
It would be good to know whether this is a problem with read rights or write rights.

Can you open any of these files in their respective editors without copying them?

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Like others are saying, it's probably permissions. I've used that exact adapter/cable/interface before, and it's worked perfectly. In fact, we bought two for the office, after I introduced my boss to them.

I almost recommended using a Linux live CD, but that can introduce you to setting write permissions in an unfamiliar operating system...

Try to take ownership of the files, like Mucus said.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect the problem is with where he is copying to. It's not a common scenario in the Windows world to have files that can be browsed but not copied, particularly on a local drive. Read-only directories, however, are all over the place.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

Yeah it's a permission problem. Part of the problem is I can't seem to change any of the permission settings. It gives me the same 'access denied' message I get when I try to copy files.

When the old computer died, there was only one user account (with administrator privileges) and it was password protected. Could this be part of the problem?

I mentioned booting a computer with the old drive because it seemed like an easy way to get around the permissions problem. On 2 different computers I've tried to change the drive the computer boots from but neither will recognize the USB drive (yes it's plugged in!). I also tried opening up my desktop and swapping the HD's but they have different connectors.

Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

Fourth time's a charm I guess. Tried accessing the old HD using a fourth PC and was in and transferring files in about a minute.

Still don't know what the issue was on the other machines...

Thanks anyway. [Smile]

Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you got it figured out. [Smile]
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.