FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why did the chicken cross the road?

Author Topic: Why did the chicken cross the road?
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
The truth, at last.

warning: f-word carelessly used therein

Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm, huh?

You might want to include an offensive language alert.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:
Ummm, huh?

quote:
They don't mean the other side of the road. They mean death--the after life. What the *&%$!

Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

That's what I don't get.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

The chicken is suicidal.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Or she thought hen heaven was just a better deal than Ol' McDonald's factory farm.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
See, in the joke, the chicken isn't a chicken, and the road isn't a road, well it is a road, but it's not a physical road, it's a metaphorical road, and he's not crossing, he's walking down it. Why is he doing this? Why do we do anything? It's all part of the journey to the "other side". With each step on his path, the chicken is getting closer to his end, so why doesn't he stop walking? Or go back? Because then he's not making any new experiences, he's prolonging the journey, but he's not gaining anything from it. The joke teaches us not to dwell on the finite nature of life, but to enjoy it while it lasts.

Wait, no, that's retarded. The joke is a play on the expectation for a humorous punchline.

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
That link is incredibly stupid. I agree with jebus202; the joke is a play on the expectation for a humorous punchline. Anyone reading more into it needs to get a life.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
That link is incredibly stupid.

I could have told you that just by seeing the word "4chan" in the URL... [Razz]
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I always read it how it's presented in the link. I don't get why it's a big deal.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually thought it was pretty funny. It doesn't matter what the original intent of the joke was. The fact that you can invert it and have it make perfect sense tickles me. The road is still a regular road. She just walked across it into an oncoming car.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Q: Why did the monkey fall out of the tree?
A: It was dead.

Q: Why did the chicken fall out of the tree?
A: It was stapled to the monkey.

Q: Why did the squirrel fall out of the tree?
A: Peer pressure.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

I still find it kind of meaningless. Not just the "joke" itself, but the whole posting of it.

Lisa's jokes are lining up differently for me. I chuckled, despite the anti-funny punchlines.

jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
I actually thought it was pretty funny. It doesn't matter what the original intent of the joke was. The fact that you can invert it and have it make perfect sense tickles me. The road is still a regular road. She just walked across it into an oncoming car.

lol, the joke sounds like it's saying something it's not.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Well, yeah. That's why it was funny.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

>I still find it kind of meaningless.

Yeah, the other side is pretty meaningless.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
I still find it kind of meaningless. Not just the "joke" itself, but the whole posting of it.

Lisa's jokes are lining up differently for me. I chuckled, despite the anti-funny punchlines.

I think that's only because they're new to you. Trust me, if you hear them as often as the chicken crossing the road, they become just as meaningless. The chicken crossing the road is just the archetype of the "too obvious punchline", and we've all gotten over it being funny long ago, when we were kids.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Exactly! It astonishes me that that joke managed to still surprise me yet again after all these years.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I actually thought it was pretty funny. It doesn't matter what the original intent of the joke was. The fact that you can invert it and have it make perfect sense tickles me.

Not to mention the metacontext of channers purposefully inflating it into a sarcastic ~MIND BLOWN~ moment, but that's two levels deeper into internet humor than I expect to be succinctly explainable.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Raymond.

quote:
Originally posted by jebus202:
See, in the joke, the chicken isn't a chicken, and the road isn't a road, well it is a road, but it's not a physical road, it's a metaphorical road, and he's not crossing, he's walking down it. Why is he doing this? Why do we do anything? It's all part of the journey to the "other side". With each step on his path, the chicken is getting closer to his end, so why doesn't he stop walking? Or go back? Because then he's not making any new experiences, he's prolonging the journey, but he's not gaining anything from it. The joke teaches us not to dwell on the finite nature of life, but to enjoy it while it lasts.

Wait, no, that's retarded. The joke is a play on the expectation for a humorous punchline.

That's pretty funny, too, though.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I think the "Why did the chicken" joke is such a metajoke to begin with that any analysis/criticism of it (and meta analysis of the meta analysis) is inherently at least as funny as the joke is to begin with.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Why did the chicken cross the playground?

To get to the other slide.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Heh.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:

I think that's only because they're new to you. Trust me, if you hear them as often as the chicken crossing the road, they become just as meaningless. The chicken crossing the road is just the archetype of the "too obvious punchline", and we've all gotten over it being funny long ago, when we were kids.
Yeah, I've been living under a rock for the past 37 years and have never heard jokes like that. Just the other day I heard this great new one about an elephant in the peanut butter.

I clicked the link Sa-eed posted and was unimpressed with what I found. It didn't resonate with me. I didn't find that version of the chicken joke especially clever, nor the discussion surrounding it.

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

quote:
I clicked the link Sa-eed posted and was unimpressed with what I found. It didn't resonate with me. I didn't find that version of the chicken joke especially clever, nor the discussion surrounding it.
Did you find it less clever than the joke itself? I don't think that the joke was ever all that funny. But to whatever extent that the chicken joke was funny or clever, it seems to me that metadiscussion of the chicken joke should be approximately as funny or clever.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Not by those two.
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KKYKE1isCQ#t=01m40s
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

dear advice for robots,

I acknowledge that you don't like this thread.

Sincerely,

Saeed

ps: perhaps you should post in the threads you do like rather than continue being so sour about this one?

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

quote:
Not by those two.

I'm genuinely curious: how much of your opinion is swayed by the cursing?
advice for robots
Member # 2544

quote:
Originally posted by Sa'eed:
dear advice for robots,

Sincerely,

Saeed

ps: perhaps you should post in the threads you do like rather than continue being so sour about this one?

Dear Sa'eed,

Welcome to Hatrack.

Sincerely,

advice for robots

You start a thread, people post in it. Sorry if I sounded sour. Surely I'm not the snarkiest poster who's ever responded to one of your threads. I genuinely didn't see the point of the joke you linked to. From the looks of it, the funny has gone right over my head.

Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Well, he is being engaged in conversation, so it doesn't seem like it would be fair to ask him to leave... [Wink]
Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

quote:
quote:
Not by those two.

I'm genuinely curious: how much of your opinion is swayed by the cursing?
*shrug* The way the cursing is used brings to mind 15-year-old boys. I'm not sure I'm ready for a discussion on the philosophical nuances of the chicken crossing the road joke conducted by 15-year-old boys. Is all.

But yeah, my initial reaction to the link was "That's some gratuitous usage of the f-word. He should probably post a warning."

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
quote:
dear advice for robots,

Sincerely,

Saeed

Dear Sa'eed,

Welcome to Hatrack.

Sincerely,

advice for robots

You start a thread, people post in it. Sorry if I sounded sour. Surely I'm not the snarkiest poster who's ever responded to one of your threads. I genuinely didn't see the point of the joke you linked to. From the looks of it, the funny has gone right over my head.

Sa'eed doesn't think like other people. He honestly found it fascinating.
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

I did.

*shrugs*

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.