FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Obama's Libya Speech (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Obama's Libya Speech
capaxinfiniti
Member # 12181

- posted      Profile for capaxinfiniti           Edit/Delete Post 
Rawrain: If you have trouble with spelling I recommended you use a browser with a built in spell-check function like google chrome. It won't better your spelling but such a crutch is useful at times, especially when your spelling errors reach the point that they become distracting. But your posting style really isn't my issue here.

I' not going to defend Morris and say he is a marine, because i don't honestly know. Google his name and you'll see he has more than just a blog, and there's even a good deal of information you can find about Mr. Morris. Now, this could be an elaborate farce but i believe that it's more delusional to believe this guy is a shady imposter than to consider the chance of his name not appearing - yet, perhaps - on the list you're referring to.

The second part of you comment is stereotyping, not just some baseless assumption like before. Saying marines are X is a 'standardized and simplified conception of a group based on some prior assumptions' The way Morris writes doesn't reveal his claim - or the falsehood of his claim - to be a marine any more that it would his skin color, religion, or sexual preference. Even the content of what he says doesn't produce a guarantee.

Posts: 570 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrain
Member # 12414

- posted      Profile for Rawrain   Email Rawrain         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer firefox, but it seems to disagree with dial-up and crashes randomly....

How a person speaks and writes, tells you a lot about them... The marine core is very hard on the people that go through it, there's no way you can go 6 years in there and not pick up any of the speaking or writing habits.

It's pretty much the same effect that going through highschool or even middle school has on kids, going through they pick up things, that forever shape their life.

Posts: 461 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rawrain:
How a person speaks and writes, tells you a lot about them.

The IRONY.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrain
Member # 12414

I know, tell me a little about myself rivka 8D
Posts: 461 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I suspect you don't really want me to do that.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrain
Member # 12414

Then you would be wrong, I am very open to opinions and you will even be rewared with a congrats if you're correct, though if you're wrong you only get a no.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
I know, tell me a little about myself rivka 8D

Remember, you asked for this. And you were given ample opportunity to change your mind.

You are young, extremely irresponsible, and uncaring about the needs or wants of others. The world doesn't actually revolve around you, but you have not yet figured this out.

Which is rather a shame, as I suspect you have the intelligence to do well in life . . . if only you gave a crap.

Rawrain
Member # 12414

Not quite, I am young, and as much as I want to care about others, it's not within my power, and I do try.
I know the world doesn't revolve around me, this is just a forum, I don't give 2 hoots whether someone answers my post or not, but it does mean a bit to me that some people take time to read my words and respond, I appreciate it.

I'm really just looking for someone who understands me, so I can get some help, so far my tally is on 1, 1 person understands me fully, but he isn't capable of helping me.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
as much as I want to care about others, it's not within my power

What utter rubbish.
Rawrain
Member # 12414

Just because it's hard to image doesn't mean it's untrue, I went to a psychiatrist to get help with my lack of emotion he was going to try anti-depressants, having tried a few different types, they do nothing for me, so I requested a double treatment, get a fix for my adhd and 'possibly' my emotions, answer, adderall, and I am trying to be hopeful that it will fix both problems, but only trying will tell.

The pharmacy should be done resolving their issues soon enough, hope you will brace yourself for the real me, because I am much smarter than this, and I will be up for challenges.

rivka
Member # 4859

Ever heard the expression "fake it till you make it"? Whether or not you can empathize should not determine how you act towards other people.
Rawrain
Member # 12414

I've never heard the expression, and how I act towards people is roughly dependant on what they say, and how they say it, and in the real world expressions and gestures are added to that list aswell.

My assesment of people has never been far off, but the people of hatrack are very hard to pin down mostly I think due to how intelligent the people are here, warning I am studying you.
------------------------------------------------
Austin attempts to save the topic after killing it /:

Anyone else think Obama overplayed his speach a bit, he gave a lot of talk but didn't give specific reasons, I would've like to have heard the full reasons for both entering Libya's rebellions , and how it would benifit this country in the long run.

rivka
Member # 4859

More excuses for your poor behavior.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just because it's hard to image doesn't mean it's untrue, I went to a psychiatrist to get help with my lack of emotion he was going to try anti-depressants, having tried a few different types, they do nothing for me, so I requested a double treatment, get a fix for my adhd and 'possibly' my emotions, answer, adderall, and I am trying to be hopeful that it will fix both problems, but only trying will tell.

The pharmacy should be done resolving their issues soon enough, hope you will brace yourself for the real me, because I am much smarter than this, and I will be up for challenges.

You desperately need to mature enough as a person to understand why you are so easily pegged as an oblivious teenager. I sincerely hope that your psychiatrist hasn't provided you too much of a further roadblock to your own emotional and sympathetic maturity by giving you a lure to convince yourself that the 'real you' is just over yonder on the amphetamine train.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrain
Member # 12414

I wasn't always this way.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
What, were things different when you were 14?
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrain
Member # 12414

Things were different in my head before age 10. I give up with you two, I'm being honest and open and you take it as lies or jokes.

Don't worry about it though, you two aren't the first to not get it.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

Not sufficiently explaining anything that's going on makes it unsurprising that we aren't the first not to get 'it.' whatever it is.
rivka
Member # 4859

I don't think you are lying or joking. I think you are making excuses for lousy behavior that actually excuse nothing.

But keep on lumping me with all the people who "don't get it". It gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Apologize and get over yourself, Rawrain.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Rawrain -

When I first became a teenager, I had some anxiety problems. We went to a a psychiatrist who prescribed me anti-schizophrenic medication. They didn't work for me. Where I used to be able to focus and catch every minute detail, I just dazed in and out. We got me off the meds pretty quick, and while I no longer had anxiety problems there was a permanent change in my personality. I became withdrawn, timid, and seemingly incapable of empathizing with the needs or feelings of others. It was also around this time that I also had my standard teenage phase of questioning my identity, authority, and social norms. I became bitter with the world and had trouble feeling appropriate emotions if I felt anything at all. It sounds like your typical teenage angst, and a lot of it was.

But I learned to adapt to my problems. Even now that I'm in college, I still struggle with naturally adhering to social protocol. I have to deliberately think about the consequences of my actions and how they will affect others. I still have trouble focusing, but I force myself to deal with the issues. (I refuse to take psyche meds if I can avoid it.)

The best resource for me to learn these skills was to join my high school's speech and debate team. The activity gets a lot of flack for being filled with nerds, and it is. But you do learn how to adapt to others as a practice if it doesn't come naturally to you. You're given an environment in which you can express yourself without being criticized for having controversial opinions. (You're criticized if you can't defend them.) But most importantly, it forced me to deal with fellow team members and learn how to work with others and understand at a rational level why others play a significant role in my life.

I'm not saying you need to run out and join your local speech and debate team. It certainly doesn't work for everyone. But I would say that using your issues as an excuse for poor behavior is not acceptable. I didn't do it, I learned to adapt and continue to adapt today.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that is great advice Vadon. Giving yourself a creative outlet by joining a debate team would probably help him out quite a bit.

I think part of the reason so many kids get bored at school or hate it is because they are forced to stick to a certain schedule. They aren't given enough time to work on their creativity.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.