FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Believing whilst knowing He doesn't exist (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Believing whilst knowing He doesn't exist
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Standard "God"

quote:
God is the English name given to a singular being in theistic and deistic religions (and other belief systems) who is either the sole deity in monotheism, or a single deity in polytheism.[1]

God is most often conceived of as the supernatural creator and overseer of the universe. Theologians have ascribed a variety of attributes to the many different conceptions of God. The most common among these include omniscience (infinite knowledge), omnipotence (unlimited power), omnipresence (present everywhere), omnibenevolence (perfect goodness), divine simplicity, and eternal and necessary existence.

God has also been conceived as being incorporeal (immaterial), a personal being, the source of all moral obligation, and the "greatest conceivable existent".[1] These attributes were all supported to varying degrees by the early Jewish, Christian and Muslim theologian philosophers, including Maimonides,[2] Augustine of Hippo,[2] and Al-Ghazali,[3] respectively.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. Not at all a good definition.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

What's wrong with it?
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Not big enough. Honestly, I doubt any definition of God is going to be all that good. Hard to define the infinite.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Then why ask for one?
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Sorry I wasn't clear. I was disputing that there was a "standard" God. And that if there were, your God is at least as "standard" as the one in wiki.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I'm okay with that, I was just responding to King 'o Men's suggestion that I invent a new word for my concept of God.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

He keeps trying that.
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
That's the point afr, the way I see it, if you love your children, you love God, if you love Private Selection Caramel Sea Salt Truffle Ice Cream, you love God, if your heart is filled with joy when you see the sun set over the pacific ocean, then you are worshiping God.

Fine, fine, but then what is the purpose of referring to this as 'God', with all the associated historical context? I feel you are really misusing the word; you should invent a different one, to clarify that you mean something that's not the usual English sense of 'God'.
Deja vu

quote:
Originally posted by Parkour:
Wow. This whole thread was amazing to read.

And now I will finish posting on my hatrack religion and then go play some of my call of duty religion, get paid for my employment religion, then go drink at a fundamentally religious party with my friend-religions.

http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=056701;p=4&r=nfx
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew someone who defined God as "a large version of me giving me instructions about what is the right thing to do."

"So, really, you just come to a well-considered decision?"

"Um... yeah."

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrain
Member # 12414

- posted      Profile for Rawrain   Email Rawrain         Edit/Delete Post 
No one has said 'it' yet....

Can't we all get along. ):

Posts: 461 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

You are not emphasizing the most important part of it Teshi...your friend has a giant twin! That would be so nifty. You got a problem with me, take it up with Mondo.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.