FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Blayne's 2011 Resolutions (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Blayne's 2011 Resolutions
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
1) An Hour a Day of Learning Japanese.

-My copy of "Genki 1: An integrated guide to Elementary Japanese" has just arrived in the mail.

A minimum goal of an hour a day, still waiting on the workbook portion but I can start with this and as I master it I can move up to Genki II and Genki III, each is like a years worth of courses at college.

2) 1-3 Hours a day at learning College Algebra, Matrix Algebra, and Calculus II. Haven't decided if I'll do about an hour a day of a different math subject each day repeating or just to do all three each day 3 hours.

3) Computer Science related stuff, I'm still figuring an action plan, but at least an hour a day learning C#, I have C# 2008 text book an a few others but start small.

Updates forthcoming.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a "share my resolution" thread for everyone? Or is it just for us to learn about Blayne? If the second, I vote to change the title to "Blayne's Blog". [Wink]
Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrain
Member # 12414

- posted      Profile for Rawrain   Email Rawrain         Edit/Delete Post 
Changing it to a blog would discourage me from reading it, I see the forum as being enthusiastic support for Blayne's resolutions.

Yeah Blayne learn that Japanese!

Posts: 461 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we all get to give Blayne resolutions to keep.

ETA: Also, there will be 2011 of them.

[ March 31, 2011, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: MattP ]

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I see the forum as being enthusiastic support for Blayne's resolutions.

Are you talking about this forum?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MattP:

*like*
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Aros:
Is this a "share my resolution" thread for everyone? Or is it just for us to learn about Blayne? If the second, I vote to change the title to "Blayne's Blog". [Wink]

I take it as a given you can also suggest to yourself resolutions in this thread yes.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. It's Blayne's 2011 resolutions. If I'm gonna be suggesting resolutions, they're gonna be for you.

Wanna guess what one of them is?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

No.
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
quote:
Originally posted by MattP:

*like*
Did Hatrack just become Facebook?
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
No.

One of my resolutions for you is to start guessing what Porter is going to say when he invites you to do so.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Oh, come on, Blayne. I'll bet you can guess if you try.
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
RT @Strider Did Hatrack just become Facebook? #BBRes2011
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Oh, come on, Blayne. I'll bet you can guess if you try.

I imagine he has a good guess, but he doesn't like it.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I'm blocking you from my feed!
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

He doesn't have to like it. [Razz]
Rawrain
Member # 12414

Hatrack like facebook?! If that ever happened I would dissapear, for facebook is thine sweared enemy!
Oh noes I told ya'll how to get rid of me /:
------------------------------
To Blayne, 4. Quit 1 bad habbit, anything from as small as bitting fingernails and sneezing out into the open, or as big as smoking!

Posts: 461 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:

"Stop posting threads"?

quote:

To Blayne, 4. Quit 1 bad habbit, anything from as small as bitting fingernails and sneezing out into the open, or as big as smoking!

But I like biting my nails.
Rawrain
Member # 12414

quote:
But I like biting my nails.
I like to aswell... I just have beef against nail-clippers always cutting my nails too short:x
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I just peel at them with my thumb and fore finger, its just second nature and always the right distance.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
quote:

I'm blocking you from my feed!
Man, that's harsh. Your feed is delicious.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
quote:

"Stop posting threads"?

While I might make some suggestions about where and what you post, no, I wouldn't actually recommend that you stop making new threads.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I bite my nails and I feel absolutely no reason to stop.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrain
Member # 12414

I don't feel like stopping either .__. as long as you wash your nails before you bite into them, it's not really a bad habbit.... but that's why I was inspecific.
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
My concern with these goals are that they are too ambitious. Better to say you'll spend 15 minutes a day studying Japanese and meet that goal for a month, then to say you'll study it for an hour per day, meet it for a week, then give up and stop.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryoko
Member # 4947

- posted      Profile for Ryoko   Email Ryoko         Edit/Delete Post 
がんばってください。

A few helpful links for Nihongo:

jisho.org

http://oldweb.lyon.edu/webdata/users/mpeek/JapanWebpages/GenkiExercises.htm

Popjisyo.com

Posts: 194 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Phanto:
My concern with these goals are that they are too ambitious. Better to say you'll spend 15 minutes a day studying Japanese and meet that goal for a month, then to say you'll study it for an hour per day, meet it for a week, then give up and stop.

Not necessarily. I listen to over an hour of audiobook a day. I've spent months listening to mp3's, learning French with the Michel Thomas Method. I listened on the weekends while I was cleaning the house. And I passed the French CLEP (no easy task).

It's a lot of work. It's as big goal. But it's achievable.

Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Ryoko:
がんばってください。

A few helpful links for Nihongo:

jisho.org

http://oldweb.lyon.edu/webdata/users/mpeek/JapanWebpages/GenkiExercises.htm

Popjisyo.com

Thanks [Smile]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

And when you decide to learn what one in five people these days is speaking,

www.nciku.com

Ryoko
Member # 4947

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
And when you decide to learn what one in five people these days is speaking,

www.nciku.com

BlackBlade,

That is a really nice site. Some day I'd like to tackle Chinese, but I'm still just an "intermediate" in Japanese, so right now it would only confuse me. So many Kanji, so little time. [Smile]

Still, I will bookmark this site for a later date.

Blayne, I used Genki for 1st and 2nd year study. The second link in particular was a lifesaver for vocabulary quiz days.

Best of luck!

Posts: 194 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Biting your nails is bad for you.
quote:
The area beneath the nails harbors a wide variety of bacteria and viruses, and easily picks up more from the environment. Biting your nails is an excellent way to catch every cold, flu strain, and other infection in the area. In addition to that it is hard on your teeth, and your cuticles may become infected due to damage from the biting or from bacteria in your mouth. Finally, you hands look like hell, and mark you as a nervous person with poor hygiene.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrain
Member # 12414

Dawn soap with bleach will clear that bacteria right up.... and your hands will smell good too! ++
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Still can chip the enamel off your teeth.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I've learned my first kanji 本

book, also in the compound word "Japan" and "Japanese".

ま ma and the hiragana for su, but having difficulties pasting it here.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
I've learned my first kanji 本

book, also in the compound word "Japan" and "Japanese".

ま ma and the hiragana for su, but having difficulties pasting it here.

本? So you learned how to write book, simple, fundamental, or Japan?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

book and Japan.

Somewhat worried that I'm not drawing them write with my pencil though I'm told elsewhere that this isn't a big deal.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
book and Japan.

Somewhat worried that I'm not drawing them write with my pencil though I'm told elsewhere that this isn't a big deal.

Stroke order is important so that you get a system down when writing a new character. If you have the stroke order down you only need to memorize the radicals and you can write it down perfectly every time.

Caligraphy is nice, essential if you plan on writing comics, so at least learning to make the characters legible and aesthetically pleasing is a worthwhile investment. People lose patience easily with bad handwriting when it comes to comics.

If you don't plan on hand writing characters, then none of that matters, you can use computers to write Japanese and Chinese extremely effectively. And unfortunately, your ability to read Japanese has zero bearing on your ability to write it out. At least with Japanese though you've got katakana and hiragana so you have a chance of writing proficiently by hand.

Ryoko
Member # 4947

Stroke order (and direction) is very helpful in remembering the Kanji.

If you happen to have an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad, there is a really nice kanji app that I use for drawing kanji.

It is called "Kanji LS Touch".

It is a bit expensive ($12), but I found it to be worth the money.

http://web.me.com/quitscheentchen/KSTen/Kanji_LS_Touch_Handbook.html

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Yes I'm memorizing the stroke order, the difficulty comes that my hand writing with the dang pencil differs with the example shown in the book that used calligraphy :grrr:

Because you know whats going to happen now!? Another hobby!!! Now I *must must must* get a proper calligraphy set and order expensive inks from kazakstan! Low quality ink will NOT be tolerated!

quote:

Calligraphy, at its simplest, is not too expensive. Paper needs to be workable, which is not necessarily expensive. Nibs and/or pens (even reasonably nice ones) can put you out a few bucks a pop, but unless you don't really know what you're doing, they'll last you for a few pages at the least. Ink can cost next to nil, or a whole lot, depending on what your needs are, though getting different colors is something you should hold off on until you need them. But when you get into the nice stuff (e.g. vintage nibs — a single Gillott Principality could put you out around $20, and they aren't getting any more numerous), the price of the hobby can spike from a minimal under-$50 to thousands of dollars depending on what you do.

Orz.

http://richardspooralmanac.blogspot.com/2009/01/more-late-night-nib-talk-my-new.html

Now the book gives me stroke order, but I'm not too sure on stroke direction. Is the end where its 'fatter' where it starts?

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Ryoko:
Stroke order (and direction) is very helpful in remembering the Kanji.

If you happen to have an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad, there is a really nice kanji app that I use for drawing kanji.

It is called "Kanji LS Touch".

It is a bit expensive ($12), but I found it to be worth the money.

http://web.me.com/quitscheentchen/KSTen/Kanji_LS_Touch_Handbook.html

Now I suddenly want to buy an itouch...
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

You don't need expensive calligraphy stuff. Besides without proper instruction you won't be able to replicate the characters you see in the books. If you are left handed you literally have no chance in hell of doing it. They also use special paper with a specific amount of absorbancy to get some of those strokes to come out the way they do.

Just worry about learning the characters, calligraphy can always wait.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:

If you are left handed

WHAT!?
Rawrain
Member # 12414

It's just rice paper.......
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Working on my Hiragana.

I think I got "a" down.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

すみません。
Rawrain
Member # 12414

When squiggles attack....
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
quote:

If you are left handed

WHAT!?
I don't know which hand you are dominant with. I personally write left-handed. All Asian calligraphy assumes the writer is right-handed, and is designed accordingly.
Rawrain
Member # 12414

You can always teach yourself to be right handed!

Aha #5. Learn to use the opposite hand functionably.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I can't even write my own name with my right hand...
Rawrain
Member # 12414

Blayne the first step is positive thinking!

You CAN write your name with your right hand, just very badly... ( I miss italics)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.