FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I wrote an essay! (Exam question) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I wrote an essay! (Exam question)
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dobbie:
I just looked up "snotty". It means "spitefully unpleasant", so it came out right.

Oh good, so I'm justified in thinking your post was overtly douchey. See in the back of my head I was thinking "Hm, maybe I should give him the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps he was just making a little joke and wasn't making a rather stupid false equivalence between a forum post and a college exam essay using dubious criteria."

But nope, you were intentionally being an ass. Good to know.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I always find it wryly amusing when someone finally figures out that Dobbie is a troll.

They always seem so surprised.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't speak for Lyrhawn, and I don't claim to. And perhaps I'm a little biased here, but you *really* seem to be taking his reception of your essay as more favorable than it is.

I suspect if you asked him, "Please give me your thoughts on my post absent any considerations for how I might react, and how I've reacted in the past," there's a decent chance you'd get a reaction you didn't like. That probably has something to do with why you put up a bunch of conditions on what criticism you'll respond to before saying, "OK, tell me what you think!"

You don't want to know what people think. You want to know what they think if it's good, neutral, or at most 'needs improvement but your analysis is really interesting.' Or maybe I'm wrong. But if I'm wrong, I'm in a very non-exclusive club, and you should probably - for your own good - consider the notion that people around you are right about something for a change.

Or, you know, get angry and use that as an excuse to hurl very personal insults. Because that's how adults behave, right? Around a philosophy of 'what justifies a temper tantrum'.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hedwig
Member # 2315

- posted      Profile for Hedwig           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
'Why not' is not the samething as spam.

Spam would be purely noise, an essay even if a badly written one I stubbornly refuse criticism on isn't spam because even 1 person (and arguably Lyrhawn) could read it and find it interesting.

Posts: 127 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
quote:
Originally posted by Dobbie:
I just looked up "snotty". It means "spitefully unpleasant", so it came out right.

Oh good, so I'm justified in thinking your post was overtly douchey. See in the back of my head I was thinking "Hm, maybe I should give him the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps he was just making a little joke and wasn't making a rather stupid false equivalence between a forum post and a college exam essay using dubious criteria."

But nope, you were intentionally being an ass. Good to know.

Great success, Dobie.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedwig:
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
'Why not' is not the samething as spam.

Spam would be purely noise, an essay even if a badly written one I stubbornly refuse criticism on isn't spam because even 1 person (and arguably Lyrhawn) could read it and find it interesting.

I aha, didn't *chuckle* didn't mean it that way, I meant that the one person was arguably Lyrhawn in this case.

quote:

You are correct, it's not exactly the same thing. But it is similar in an important manner; they both decrease the signal-to-noise ratio of the board for most members.

And that is a pretty darn good reason "why not".

I don't see it that way. It's a living room not some formal thing, that I can't think of a name for right now.

So long as it isn't spam or break the ToS.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
:shrug: You asked for reasons why you shouldn't have posted it.

I gave you one.

Even if you don't agree with the reason, a lot of people do.

Do with it what you will with the information, but be aware that there are people on the board who view that sort of behavior the same way they do spam, and no amount of disagreeing is going to change that.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.