Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why write it down? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why write it down?
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:
You don't reveal what you paid for your house because you're afraid someone else will think you got taken to the cleaners.

I've always revealed what I've paid for my houses. If for no other reason than anyone who cares can go to the county tax web site and find out anyway. It's a matter of public record.

I wish talking about salary wasn't as taboo as it is. I know I make less than everyone else in my department, but I think I wouldn't be as irritated about it if I knew how much less.

Posts: 7891 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One reason not yet pointed out is that it detracts from the story. The audience will take a moment to consider the amount. Leaving it as an abstract lets the audience accept the emotional quantity and move on.

As for social discussion of money, I never quite know when I should or shouldn't be talking about specific numbers. But since I'm at a career decision point, I have been asking about salaries from people who speak to us about their careers. Apparently it's illegal to tell another doctor how much they charge for various services, though, which is pretty frustrating.

I'm a numbers person. I like talking about specific finances with my bf though he's not as comfortable with it. Only in the last year has he let me tell him what my full savings are, after 5 years of dating.

Posts: 1260 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As an employer, I love the stigma against discussing employee salary. The plebes keep themselves in the dark for me, and it's ever so difficult for people to realize the little things, like how I'm paying women 10-20% less on average than male workers in equivalent positions.

Welp, back to hunting pheasants via my yacht artillery

Posts: 13341 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_   Email Stone_Wolf_         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
One reason not yet pointed out is that it detracts from the story. The audience will take a moment to consider the amount. Leaving it as an abstract lets the audience accept the emotional quantity and move on.
Agree.
Posts: 5035 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I've always revealed what I've paid for my houses. If for no other reason than anyone who cares can go to the county tax web site and find out anyway. It's a matter of public record.

I wish talking about salary wasn't as taboo as it is. I know I make less than everyone else in my department, but I think I wouldn't be as irritated about it if I knew how much less.

I'm not zip-lipped about it either--although I might be if I didn't think we got a very good deal. But we did get a good deal in a nice neighborhood where prices were nice and low, just after selling our previous home at about the highest the prices were going to get in that area.

We have quite a nice, stable department at work. One of the most close-knit in the company. Everyone gets along quite well. There is a marked lack of toe-mashing as people work to advance their careers. One reason is that we all consider each other as more or less equals. (Another is that there aren't a lot of higher positions to vie for.) Now, it's no big secret that we don't all make the same amount, but it's easier to pretend that we do. I wish revealing salaries wouldn't change that close-knit feeling, but it would. Maybe not like a bomb going off, but more like a slow creep of discontent.

Posts: 5792 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_   Email Stone_Wolf_         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if this is a good (or an original) idea or not but...

What if there was a "formula" to calculating everyone's wage. Example (for concept not actual numbers):

Years of reliant experience: +1$/hr up to $10 max
Years of higher education: +1$/hr up to $4 max
Years of reliant higher education: +2$/hr up to $8 max
Years of work with current employer: +1$/hr up to $10 max
Job is physically strenuous: +3/hr
Job is dangerous: +$4/hr
Job is very dangerous: +$8/hr
Job operates "off" hours: +$1/hr
Job requires high level of skill: +$4/hour

...etc...

Posts: 5035 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! You just described federal jobs!
Posts: 36839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Heh, I didn't know.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.