FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Academic Proofreading Help--Thanks! It was accepted (forthcoming)

Author Topic: Academic Proofreading Help--Thanks! It was accepted (forthcoming)
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Hatrack, you loveable, friendly, smart, and very attractive group of people!

As some of you may know, a while ago I submitted a paper to a journal. I received a R&R. I fixed the problems and sent it back. I then received a second R&R that had no issues with my content or argument but wanted me to trim some fat on the footnotes (which I did), to convert the citations to house style (which I did), and then go through the paper very carefully to make sure everything is as clear as possible and eliminate repetitiveness.

I've been doing the final step, but you know what I realized? It's really hard to tell whether I'm being clear when I understand what I'm saying! So that's why I'm asking you, yes you (!!), if you would like to help me get this paper published by reading the paper and telling me where it seems unclear/repetitive to you and perhaps including suggestions for how to fix it.

I can't offer much in exchange for your help aside from my gratitude, but you will certainly have that!

Thanks,

Jonathan

[ May 08, 2011, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: JonHecht ]

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Umm... depends on the length. Not all journal papers number the same, can you give us an insight into that? If it's pretty short I'd be up for it. Oh, also, what file format?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

Thanks for the interest. It's on Plato's Crito, ~25 pages double spaced 12 pt Times + 5 pages of footnotes (which you need not read, as they're mostly just lists of sources). And it's very exciting and interesting, according to the editor!
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Hah, well I'll give it a shot. E-mail's in the profile. Let me know how soon you need it by.

Just readability, right? I'm not someone you want working on your grammar.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to read it, if you don't mind. I actually recommended Plato's Crito to a friend of mine a couple weeks ago.

My e-mail is not in my profile, but it's Rob(With an at sign)Hays.org.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

Thanks! The package has been delivered.
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon, I'll give it a go as well if you'd like a third. email's in my profile.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

I know it hasn't been much time since I sent it back but I wanted to make sure you got it and it has all my edits in it. Do all the revisions show up (which you can determine based on: are there revisions on every page? I imagine if there are it means some didn't just get randomly erased).

Hobbes [Smile]

Itsame
Member # 9712

Thank you to those who have helped so far. You've provided wonderful comments that have improved the quality of the writing significantly.
Itsame
Member # 9712

Thank you again. My paper has now been accepted for publication. I have you guys marked as "my non-academic friends" in my acknowledgments; I hope that's OK. This is my first publication and I am excited.
Hobbes
Member # 433

Hey! I'm an academic! Ohh, I wasn't listed under 'friend' was I? [Wink]

Congratulations!

Hobbes [Smile]

Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! [Smile]
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.