FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How the media characterizes our political discourse (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: How the media characterizes our political discourse
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
katharina: You are doing a lot of good posting, don't sully the good stuff with posts like your last.
Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
One more interest statistic I gleaned from politifact.com. Comments that they find to be egregious lies, they rank as "pants on fire". I clicked on truthometer and looked at the 8 pages (160 statements) they ranked as "pants on fire". I counted 25 made by democrats or liberals, the remaining 135 came from conservative or republican sources.

I suspect there is all kinds of sampling bias here, but 5+ times as many egregious lies is pretty enormous.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Can you give us an example of what qualifies as "pants on fire"?
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

- posted      Profile for Ace of Spades           Edit/Delete Post 

quote:
Originally posted by JanitorBlade:
katharina: You are doing a lot of good posting,

Posts: 431 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
There all over the map. I think you'd get a better idea if go to their website and browse through.

They have detailed reports of their analysis. They seem to be pretty thorough and put in a good effort to chase down the facts.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ace of Spades:

quote:

Wow, that was helpful.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Ace of Spades:

quote:

I'm not sure whether you are accusing JB of telling an egregious lie, or demonstrating how to tell an egregious lie by strip quoting.
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
What's strip quoting?
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

It involves removing your clothing and taking what people have said out of context...it's all the rage at college parties!
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
It involves...rage...!

Why so angry?
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Because George RR Martin's Russian accent may be as fake as the college transcripts that Jon Stewart is biased about in a tornado which is racist for not making jobs for teaparties.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
All of my posting is excellent. Only some is easier to hear than others.

It's no surprise rage is a consequence. It's hard to hear about the ways you might suck.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

When it comes to choosing excellent sources, starting first with noting the bias guaruntees that you'll fail. Humans are absolutely crap at seeing their own motes. You'll give a pass to whomever agrees with you.

Pick level of detail, method, and lack of kindergarten behavior and navel-gazing. Ignore the slant. You'll be better for it all around.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
When someone says they're always awesome, it's always true.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Humans are absolutely crap at seeing their own motes.

[ April 28, 2011, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Please don't Rabbit.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
It involves removing your clothing and taking what people have said out of context...it's all the rage at college parties!

If Model UN had been more like that, I might have continued with it in college.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

The guilty take the truth to be hard. It's not a surprise people get mad when they hear it. Sometimes really, really mad.
katharina
Member # 827

I would consider the kindergarten baloney promulgated on television to not even be in the realm of political discourse. Political theatre, maybe. Political pantomime, definitely. Deciding which is "better" is just arguing the merits of various clowns.
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
The guilty take the truth to be hard. It's not a surprise people get mad when they hear it. Sometimes really, really mad.

The innocent also take lies to be hard. Distinguishing between the two situations can require some effort.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I don't think I've ever heard that bit from Nephi stated by anybody who wasn't trying to also excuse their bad behavior.

You aren't surrounded by the guilty, please stop assuming that that is the case.

Are there folks who are more liable to turn a blind eye to bad behavior on the left rather than the right, sure, I'll grant that. We certainly have people where the opposite is also true. Why do you keep baiting people into not acting like adults? Why do you want them to get angry and explode? Does it make you feel better to see others stripped down to bare emotion, blathering like animals?

I certainly don't enjoy it, and I don't think deep down you want that either.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's no surprise rage is a consequence. It's hard to hear about the ways you might suck.

Breaking irony-meters everyday~
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.