FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Doctor Who Series 6 (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Doctor Who Series 6
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Does it drive anyone else nuts when people say the box is a phone box? it is a police box, dang it!
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

- posted      Profile for Ace of Spades           Edit/Delete Post 
Does it drive anyone else nuts when people say the Tardis is a police box? It's a time machine/spacecraft disguised as a police box!
Posts: 431 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
Does it bother anyone else when people call the TARDIS a "tardis"? Me neither.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

Here's a specific link that annoys me:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/doctorwho/e78d/

Also, they once asked a question on who wants to be a millionaire about what the tardis was disguised as and the answer was phone booth. I was shouting at the tv that day. [Smile] I watch reruns of millionaire so this is more recent than you might think.

Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
I have now viewed the two-part season opener of Dr. Who in America. Very amusing. The actor they cast as President Nixon didn't really look much like him. It was cute when Nixon at the end observed that the Doctor was from the future, and asked if he would be remembered. The Doctor said "Yes, Tricky Dicky, you will be remembered." Fair enough.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I felt he looked like Nixon based on the trailer.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scholarette:
Here's a specific link that annoys me:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/doctorwho/e78d/

But, but, that's an exact quote from the episode! [Wink]

(Yes, you are still allowed to be annoyed.)

[ June 02, 2011, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: Amilia ]

Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched "Almost People" and admittedly I only watched it once so I probably need to go back and re-watch it.

Spoilers *

However...did the Doctor not say toward the end that the TARDIS had "stabilized the flesh - they're people now."

If so, why was Amy not "stabilized?"

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

Spoilers

My impression was that Amy's ganger was never independent. Amy was in there the whole time so the new flesh wasn't able to become its own person cause it had a person in there already.

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
That makes sense. Thanks!
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Spoilers

Holy cow. I mean, holy fracking cow. I so did not see that coming. God, I don't think anyone did.

I still think the kid in the spacesuit was Melody, but... so River is a Time Lord? And she's in jail for what she did in The Impossible Astronaut? And... she didn't show up at the battle of Demons Run... because she didn't want to risk crossing her own timeline? And gah. Amy is his mother-in-law? That's just funny.

Btw, we still don't know what caused the TARDIS to blow up last season. Also... I'm glad River's death was before we met Amy. And... do we keep calling her River Song now?

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Spoilers

Hah! I've been wondering how they'd make a connection between Amy and River since they first announced that her name would be Pond. And I was making mother-in-law jokes ever since last year (because Amy, with her attitude, is a born mother-in-law). And when they introduced the pregnancy thing - well it was obvious. But nicely done.
I didn't see the fake baby reveal coming, though.

I did wonder how they would make little River regenerate (because that had to be River. That's why she knew she couldn't really shoot herself).

So here we are. Good episode, sufficiently epic and pretty devastating for the Doctor. So funny that it never occurred to him what Amy and Rory might be up to on their wedding night. He was probably assuming they would be playing Scrabble.

Anyone else think that while Melody and Pond are perfectly great names in isolation, together they just sound odd? What tune does a pond sing? It just goes 'sploosh'. I can see why you'd change a name like that to something cooler.

Is it weird that the Doctor and River hooked (will hooken - tenses!) up? I've been trying to decide how I feel about him doing that to her for a while, and I still don't know how I feel about it.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I don't think Melody Pond is any stranger than River Song. Less so, if anything. It's just that we're used to it.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Theyre scottish!
Lisa
Member # 8384

What intrigues me, though, is how River was still around during last year's finale, even after her father had retroactively been removed from history. I suppose it isn't any stranger than Amy still being around after her parents disappeared, but still.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Or how the Tardis translation circuit kicked in after the Doctor left ... ?
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Text/Writing takes a while to kick in and requires some concentration?
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

Doctor Who has been renewed for season/series 7 , with fourteen more episodes with Matt Smith (and, I know nothing, but presumably a new companion).

The fact that they're not sure yet if all the episodes will be airing in 2012 would be worrying, if it wasn't pretty clear that they'll be moving the start of the season to the autumn and winter after this year. So the end of the season might roll over into the New Year.

Not sure what that would mean for the Christmas specials, but watching the show would be more atmospheric in the dark winter evenings, and the ratings would go up. And three years with Smith would be fine. I like the guy, his acting is visibly improving - it was fine before, but he's really got it now, and any fewer would be a pity.

Yay!

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

They would NEVER cancel Doctor Who; I would need to see significant evidence of slipping ratings before I could entertain the possibility.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Theyre scottish!

Who are "they"? Amy is Scottish. Rory is not. The Doctor is not. River is not (at least she doesn't have a Scottish accent).
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

The Doctor has been Scottish at least once!
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

A lot of planets may have a north but to the best of my knowledge, there was never a Scotland on Galifrey.

There is a difference between the characters being Scottish and the actors who play them being Scottish. John Barrowman is Scottish, Captain Jack is definitely not.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:

A lot of planets may have a north but to the best of my knowledge, there was never a Scotland on Galifrey.

There is a difference between the characters being Scottish and the actors who play them being Scottish. John Barrowman is Scottish, Captain Jack is definitely not.

Well, Barrowman was 8 when his family moved to the US, so calling him Scottish may be pushing a point.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:

Well, Barrowman was 8 when his family moved to the US, so calling him Scottish may be pushing a point.
John Barrowman being interviewed in Scotland.
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

That's so funny - a lot of people who have changed their accent do that. Whenever they're exposed to people with their original accent, their former way of speaking comes flooding back.

It can be quite shocking when you think you know someone's voice, only to find that they have another one hidden away.

Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
There are Americans three generations removed from their family's country of origin who still claim to be Scottish or Irish or Italian or Albanian. Which is very odd, I admit. Barrowman is actually a citizen of Scotland, so it doesn't seem a stretch to me to say he's Scottish. (It helped that the first word out of his mouth in Torchwood was not said with an American pronunciation -- we spell it differently, as well. His accent is definitely American most of the time, though.)

I'm the same way. Plink me down in the wilds of Appalachia and my own husband gives me the stank eye. [Big Grin]

I finally talked my boys into watching the mid-series cliffie with me today. Big Boy, who still hasn't come to grips with Matt Smith, said, "It would have been better if it had been Ten." [Razz] My Beloved, who rarely watches Doctor Who, admitted that it was one of the best episodes of teh show he'd ever seen. So I consider it a victory on the basis of that alone.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Bella Bee:
That's so funny - a lot of people who have changed their accent do that. Whenever they're exposed to people with their original accent, their former way of speaking comes flooding back.

It can be quite shocking when you think you know someone's voice, only to find that they have another one hidden away.

I wonder if when he would talk with David Tennant when they weren't filming if he'd drop back into that accent. I wouldn't be surprised.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.