FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dance Dance Revolution! Now the spoiler discussion thread for ADWD (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dance Dance Revolution! Now the spoiler discussion thread for ADWD
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it took me (this is Jake, btw) about a week to get through the first hundred pages, specifically because I was dreading what I knew was to come. That happens to me every time I reread the series, really.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
The thing that gets me the most is the optimism and naivete of the Starks.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I am seriously considering not finishing reading this series. Your "kidding" summing up of the tragedy which falls in these books is truly and utterly depressing and I'm really not sure if I want to go through that again...sheesh!
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by adenam:
The thing that gets me the most is the optimism and naivete of the Starks.

I must be a Stark at heart...I still think that I'll be somewhat happy and satisfied when the series is over.

Damn it all, I still have hope!

(Despite the best efforts of Martin to crush hope and everyone it knows)

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
It'll probably finish. The question is, will it be finished by Martin. He had a stroke last year, didnt he? (lol osc)
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

It'll either be finished by Martin or the Literature Elves. He's already said that he finishes it or no one does.

I think what happened at the end of last year was a bad case of the flu or pneumonia, not a stroke.

Either way, I think the last two will come much quicker than the last two. Far fewer road blocks left in his path.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Either way, I think the last two will come much quicker than the last two.

I get what you meant, but this sentence took a bit of rereading. [Wink]
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
It'll either be finished by Martin or the Literature Elves. He's already said that he finishes it or no one does.

I hope it doesn't come to this, of course, but if he does die before it's been written I hope his estate publishes his notes or something. Or that Martin has a deathbed change of heart and gives Daniel Abraham permission to finish the series.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

quote:
He had a stroke last year, didnt he? (lol osc)
Really?
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

Card did (or was it earlier this year? I can't remember). Martin didn't.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Yes, but why is it funny?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Of course, he's already got a tough row to hoe with me, but this does nothing to endear me to the man or want to invest any more into his series.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, what a terrible inconvenience. Of course, I read the Dune sequels and would have rathered Frank Herbert have that policy.

I'd rather have an incomplete series of excellent novels than a bunch of bad rushed ones. I'd rather nothing than what happened to Dune.

Good for George R. R. Martin. It's his story, after all.

And I don't see anyone here complaining about the last Alvin Maker book. Why does OSC get to get away with going so long? Why did Stephen King get more slack when it came to the Dark Tower?

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:

Ah; I misunderstood your question. I don't see the humor either.

I'm not terribly upset that Martin is taking so long with the story. If book 5 is of the same quality as 1 or 2, I'll be happy. If it's of the same quality as 3, I'll be ecstatic. If it's more like 4 I'm not sure that I'll bother with 6.

I agree with 0, though, that I'd rather see the series left incomplete than see it bungled by a Kevin J. Anderson-type.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd rather have an incomplete series of excellent novels than a bunch of bad rushed ones. I'd rather nothing than what happened to Dune.
While I agree, what has happened to Robert Jordan's story proves this to be a false dichotomy.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

It's his baby, too. It's his thing, and if he feels like he doesn't want to take the risk, isn't that understandable?

Because who's to say he WOULD have a Sanderson, instead of an Anderson?

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

If he had anybody I think it'd be Daniel Abraham, and Abraham is definitely a first rate author.
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Jake is right. And I know that Ty has George's notes and knows "what happens," as well as anyone but George can.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:

Just ironic.

Something happened to George. It might not have been a stroke I guess. It was in like Decemeber or something.

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

And really, why not have someone else complete them. Low risk, high reward.

Especially if Dance is bad.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I have to admit that I've been finding your comments so far to be in fantastically poor taste, umberhulk.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

I get that a lot.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

LoL means laugh out loud, not "I found this ironic" which it isn't by the way.

This has been my *snark of the day*.

The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

Okay.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I thought we could use this thread for spoilerific discussions of dance. No biggie either way. To separate random chatter for those who haven't gotten to dance yet but want to discuss it on the other thread.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Even know what you intended Lyr, I couldn't stay away...bring on the spoilers!
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so happy Davos isn't dead. I mean, yeah, I already knew he wasn't going to die (because I spoilered myself up good, not because I "had a feeling" or anything), but it's still really, really gratifying.

And if I have to wait six more years to see Rickon on Skagos, it had better be freaking worth it.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Okay. I've been looking through my shiny new copy of Dance.

And you know what? What I read makes me root for the Others.

Let the whole of Westeros burn. Nothing the Others do could be worse than what the people already do anyway.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I bet you just hit on it! The Other's only come to wipe out the wicked like Noah's flood...so since the people are so rotten, up come the corpses to wipe the slate clean!
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

I'd only be half surprised if that was true.

And I don't think I'd be all that upset...

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that was the most productive day I've spent in ages - I managed to finish the book! [Smile]

Jon moving the wildlings - right idea? I think yes. I was actually pretty impressed by Jon in the book, for the most part. I was most impressed by his "death," which is in quotes because I'm fairly confident Mel will swoop in and save the day.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

It's called denial, Carrie. Denial. [Big Grin]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.