FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Maccabeats goin to the White House!

Author Topic: Maccabeats goin to the White House!
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
I still don't fully believe it's happening until it happens...

Apparently, May is Jewish Heritage month, and there is gonna be a party - we're invited!

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/05/09/president-obama-hosts-white-house-jewish-american-heritage-month-recepti?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

We got contacted through a .gov address - the deputy social secretary wanted our social security numbers so he could run a secret service check - we know this is protocol since we sang at a DNC event where VP Biden was present. However, we felt this was too good to be true. The Maccabeats have had a bunch of scammers including a guy who wanted to hire us for his son's bar mitzvah to sing with Justin Bieber and Michelle Obama. We realized it was a prank before Biber's people did [Wink]

Anyways - seems pretty legit - but for some reason I can't let myself believe it. Last week we did a concert with Matisyahu and Idan Raichel (two huge Jewish artists) and it was MCed by Zach Braff - we hung out with him at the envent...the whole thing is just so surreal.

Whew - anyway - thought I'd share the news here. We haven't made an official announcement on our FB page about it yet - probably bc I just want to make sure it actually HAPPENS...

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool beans. Congratulations!
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Armoth:
MCed by Zach Braff - we hung out with him at the event

I may be more jealous of this than the White House thing. [Wink]

But both are very cool. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo! Awesome!
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome! Congrats!
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
What a great opportunity! I hope its real!
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! I hope you're enjoying the ride. That is so cool.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa! I just got on my computer and wondered idly "What have the Maccabeats been up to?" Cool to see such an awesome answer right away.
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome Armoth! *high five*
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
Super cool!
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

My thoughts exactly. [Smile]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

My daughter, OTOH, has no idea who Zach Braff is, so she's more impressed by the White House visit. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
That is wonderful! You guys sure deserve it!
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My daughter, OTOH, has no idea who Zach Braff is, so she's more impressed by the White House visit. [Wink]

"You know, the wormy guy from Scrubs who constantly-self narrates and has hallucinations?"
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
i hope this goes well and there's mention of it in the news somewhere.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:

"You know, the wormy guy from Scrubs who constantly-self narrates and has hallucinations?"
Since my daughter has never seen Scrubs (my kids don't watch TV, generally), this won't help her at all.
Armoth
Member # 4752

Thanks guys [Smile] - Hopefully we'll get a photo with the Prez.
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Anyways - seems pretty legit - but for some reason I can't let myself believe it. Last week we did a concert with Matisyahu and Idan Raichel (two huge Jewish artists) and it was MCed by Zach Braff - we hung out with him at the envent...the whole thing is just so surreal.

Please tell me you video tapped this, I must see.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

there's a pic of us with him on facebook
rivka
Member # 4859

*attempts to link*
aeolusdallas
Member # 11455

- posted      Profile for aeolusdallas   Email aeolusdallas         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome. Grats!

BTW I can't listen to Dynamite anymore, your version is just so much better and more fun.

Posts: 305 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

Ditto. That is way cool.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

It Happened. We Sang for Obama and he gave us a shout-out!

http://www.whitehouse.gov/photos-and-video/video/2011/05/17/jewish-american-heritage-month

We actually have a video of us meeting him and singing him the song that he quotes in that clip and his awesome reaction - he really loved it!

Crazies experience and one of the best in my entire life. Also, bonus, I got a pic with Justice Breyer. (All is available to see online if you're a fan of The Maccabeats on FB).

Will post more later - exhausted, going to bed.

CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice - I saw all the pictures on Facebook. Congratulations.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
That was adorable!

In other news, what's with all the cell phone videos? Get your dinky little camera out of the way already!

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

You do a good Washington pose.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
It Happened. We Sang for Obama and he gave us a shout-out!

http://www.whitehouse.gov/photos-and-video/video/2011/05/17/jewish-american-heritage-month

We actually have a video of us meeting him and singing him the song that he quotes in that clip and his awesome reaction - he really loved it!

Crazies experience and one of the best in my entire life. Also, bonus, I got a pic with Justice Breyer. (All is available to see online if you're a fan of The Maccabeats on FB).

Will post more later - exhausted, going to bed.

Liiiiiiiiiink!!! [Smile]
Armoth
Member # 4752

Gahhhh!!! We're not allowed to post our video with Obama [Frown] But it was awesome - and at least I have it for posterity.

We sang a quick song for him, right before he went on and spoke to the crowd - a barbershop tag to the words "four more years" he laughed and said he loved it - and then sang it in the clip I posted above.

You can see a bad quality recording of some of the songs we performed here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e9wK79pCIg&feature=player_embedded

All I have to say is that the White House staff is incredibly nice, and super-impressive. I think we walk a really fine line between commanding respect and not going absurdly overboard. The President is one of us, but he is also our leader - and the decor and presentaton at the White House reflects that.

Also, Obama is larger than life - it was inredibly surreal to meet him.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm only upset I'm at work and therefore unable to go to any of those links.

Way cool though Armoth. [Smile]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

But you are still not yet at the most important place yet.

On the Colbert Report [Mad] What's taking Stephen so long!?

Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I think of y'all every time that commercial plays for Bridemaids.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
That's super-cool!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
That is AMAZINGLY cool!
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.