FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My Need For Stimulating Arguments

Author Topic: My Need For Stimulating Arguments
Ayn Huxley
Member # 12578

- posted      Profile for Ayn Huxley           Edit/Delete Post 
Finally, after 3 years from reading many books in the Ender series, I have gotten back to reading Ender's Game and I completely forgot about Domethenes(I know his name is spelled wrong I'm sorry) and Locke. And I feel like that in today's world we need someone like that. So, this may utterly fail but it will in style. I'm going to try writing though provoking posts and see how people respond to it. If someone want so be my other half, the opposing side to my argument I welcome the challenge. I plan on having something up tomorrow so be ready.

Edit: Okay bad example using l/d. it more just connecting books and such to today and having others put in their input or offer opposing viewpoints.

Ayn Huxley

[ May 25, 2011, 12:35 AM: Message edited by: Ayn Huxley ]

Posts: 5 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
How nice that we're getting advance warning for imminent trolling!
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayn Huxley
Member # 12578

Oh no no no. Not trolling. I hate trolling with a passion, it's stupid and ignorant. The idea is more connecting books and culture and news to today or to OSC books. I have a class where all we do is discuss books and connect them to life. This is more of me putting out the idea to see if anyone else would like to join. I my class we have to argue our points and I like seeing other people's takes on the same thing that I'm looking at. Can I ask why you though it was trolling or an intro to trolling. I guess I could have phrased the topic a bit clearer but still.
Posts: 5 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

Okay. I figured if you were warning us about "though provoking" posts for the purpose of seeing what kind of reaction you can get, you must mean that you are going to purposely play a character that you think will get the maximum reaction. Particularly in the context of Demosthenes and Locke, who weren't at all sincere.

If you're just telling us that you intend to be thoughtful and start interesting (sincere) discussions, my reaction is different:

No need to warn us. Please do take a bit more care with typos (and looking up spellings) if you want to succeed in engaging people. [Smile] And welcome.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

Final thought: there will be no "other half." The Internet has already thoroughly disproven the viability of the hypothetical compelling two person debate through bulletin board postings. [Wink]
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Joke comment: When you rule the world, can I have a pony?

Serious comment: Welcome to Hatrack. Seriously. You'll see that there are many thought provoking topics here. Don't worry about finding someone to oppose you, though, they'll come naturally (like scifi said, the association to Locke/Desmothenes might carry with it a negative impression). Be yourself, be reasonable, and don't open the cupboard in the backroom.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayn Huxley
Member # 12578

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
Final thought: there will be no "other half." The Internet has already thoroughly disproven the viability of the hypothetical compelling two person debate through bulletin board postings. [Wink]

I think there will be another half. But it will be varying people, the same with all other discussions I believe. And don't worry, I don't expect to be like either of them, it's more the idea was spawned by the two people on opposite sides idea, not speaking the idea that would be the most "intruiging" I the word I think I'll use. And sorry for the bad grammar today, it's been a really long day.
Ayn Huxley
Member # 12578

quote:
Originally posted by T_Smith:
Joke comment: When you rule the world, can I have a pony?

Serious comment: Welcome to Hatrack. Seriously. You'll see that there are many thought provoking topics here. Don't worry about finding someone to oppose you, though, they'll come naturally (like scifi said, the association to Locke/Desmothenes might carry with it a negative impression). Be yourself, be reasonable, and don't open the cupboard in the backroom.

Joke Answer: Yes, if you want I can find a unicorn.

Serious Repsonse: Thanks for the welcome. Yeah, the Locke/Desmothenes comparison wasn't the best ideas.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Locke and Demosthenes
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayn Huxley
Member # 12578

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
Locke and Demosthenes

nawwwwwww what a cute little squirrel. Run away squirrel run away.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.