FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Article Attribution

Author Topic: Article Attribution
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
In both the Ahmadinejad thread and the Kansas lawmaker thread the OP begins with a long block of quoted text without attribution.

I'm wondering if people feel article attribution in discussion fora is good or bad for the purposes of the discussion*? I usually feel like it's polite to signal where the thoughts I'm putting out are coming from so they can more easily judge the credibility of the source. On the other hand, attributions to partisan sources might generate Pavlovian responses, resulting in a thread rapidly degenerating into bickering.

Thoughts?

*I generally feel non-attribution is ethically and morally wrong on grounds of lack of recognition for effort. Kind of a little brother to plagiarism. But here I am wondering particularly what people's thoughts were regarding whether attribution helps or hinders open discussion.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
The Ahmadinejad OP has attribution.

I like attribution, mostly for practical reasons. Without attribution I'm likely to ignore large blocks.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I usually just attribute by default. I can't really recall times I haven't unless the source was extremely obvious or there's a point to be made in not attributing something.

If I'm reading something without attribution, I'l usually just Google a unique looking phrase which works maybe 90% of the time, so on this side its more of an annoyance than a practical difference.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
The Ahmadinejad OP has attribution.

I like attribution, mostly for practical reasons. Without attribution I'm likely to ignore large blocks.

There are two quotes. The first (unattributed) seems to originate with a blog post at examiner.com (based on my Google searches); the second (attributed) comes from The Guardian.

<edit>Here is my best guess of the source of the unattributed quote from the OP of the Ahmadinejad thread.</edit>

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I think unless it's 100% obvious, all quotes should be accompanied by a source link, it just strikes me as dishonest otherwise.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
Like fugu, I'm likely to skip unattributed quote blocks of any great size.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha, sorry — I'm spoiled

I'm used to forum systems that put the attribution in the quote tag. When I crosspost something here, occasionally, I forget that won't transfer here and I have to put a naked link or url tag after the quote.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.