FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Tennessee passes a law making password sharing illegal

Author Topic: Tennessee passes a law making password sharing illegal
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Tennessee passes a law making it illegal to use a friend's Rhapsody login even WITH permission.

Hell, if they're going to make everything illegal, people might as well go with torrents. They're faster.

And no, much as it looks like it, this is real; not The Onion.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see how this is enforceable.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe by tracking which IP address someone logs in from? But even then, you could just say you were at a friend's house. I don't see how they could enforce this unless they forced you to only log in from a single computer.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, the article dealt with exactly that.
quote:
Those who share their subscriptions with a spouse or other family members under the same roof 'almost certainly' have nothing to fear.

Blatant offenders - say, college students who give their logins to everyone on their dormitory floor - could get in trouble, however.

'What becomes not legal is if you send your user name and password to all your friends so they can get free subscriptions,' said the bill's House sponsor, Rep. Gerald McCormick.

Under the measure, download services that believe they are getting ripped off can go to law enforcement authorities and press charges.

I suspect they would track both the actual IP addresses and WHEN they are being used. After all, you can only be one place at a time, but if you have given out your password to 19 other people, 20 different locations could be using that same password at once.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like it would be easy to set up the service so as not to allow that.
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
That was my first thought - I think anyone who allows multiple people to use the same password at once is just an idiot. I don't have a problem with the idea behind the law, I just have a problem with this particular thing being the govnerment's responsibility.

You could hypothetically still have a few different people using a particular account at different times, but that's harder to coordinate.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like they should just disallow multiple logins using the same password using software. And then time out the login after a reasonable timeframe, so someone who accidentally left themselves logged in at a hotel could still get their account back from home.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Maybe by tracking which IP address someone logs in from? But even then, you could just say you were at a friend's house. I don't see how they could enforce this unless they forced you to only log in from a single computer.

My IP address changes almost daily due to my switching between Wi-Fi hotspots and Verizon broadband.

If they do go by IP, I assume they check for concurrent users in the same manner that Steam does, for example.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.