FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Erdős numbers?

Author Topic: Hatrack Erdős numbers?
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
I was just looking up my Erdős number, and it occurs to me that there are a lot of brainy types on Hatrack. Does anyone else have an Erdős number?

Mine is 6, which I'm quite proud of.

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
On a totally unrelated note, I just discovered I have a Morphy number of 6, which is better than I would have thought. [Razz]
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I am pretty confident I have an Erdos number, but I am way too lazy to figure it out. [Smile]
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I might liberally be given an Erdos number of 4, as I was advised on several music theory papers by a mathematician with a number of 3. That's putting it very loosely- he was never my formal advisor. More like we had coffee together and he gave me pointers.

On a more impressive note, as a composer I have a Stravinsky number of 3, and as a guitarist, a Segovia number of 2. These days, there few people with higher numbers than that. [Big Grin] The interesting thing about the Segovia number is that basically, I am aware that when my teacher gave me advice, he was surely sometimes imparting the exact words of his own (and that teacher's) teacher. That person being Andres Segovia, among other people.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! Well, my Bacon number is 1.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
My Bacon number is 0. I invented Kevin Bacon.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I am aware, I have no numbers. :-(
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
My Erdős number is 4 (Jones-Mitter-Zeitouni-Diaconis-Erdős).

I've also been looking at my Academic Genealogy. One line currently stops at Purdue in the 60s, but my other line goes back to Germany and then Italy in the 1400s. That line includes Norbert Wiener, Immanuel Kant, Gottfried Liebniz, and Copernicus.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
natural_mystic
Member # 11760

- posted      Profile for natural_mystic           Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming my adviser co-authored a paper with his adviser, I have an Erdos number of 6.
Posts: 644 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice, guys! I knew someone would have me beat.

quote:
Ha! Well, my Bacon number is 1.
What movie?
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
I have no numbers. Does that mean I'm a 0?

sadface.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Since someone brought up Morphy numbers, as far as wins are concerned, my Kasparov number is 3 and I think my Morphy number is 5 (assuming simuls count).

No publications in science or math.

Edit: Nevermind, my Morphy number is 4. I forgot that I beat Bisguier during an online simul.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
http://xkcd.com/599/
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
"Curiously, the most connected person in acting is not Kevin Bacon. Research by people who found it important enough to do so discovered that the centre of the Hollywood universe is actually Christopher Lee."
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
"Curiously, the most connected person in acting is not Kevin Bacon. Research by people who found it important enough to do so discovered that the centre of the Hollywood universe is actually Christopher Lee."

But what's his Bacon number?
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
According to the Oracle of Bacon, Christopher Lee has a Bacon number of 2, but using "try another link" I got about a dozen different connections with that number before I stopped trying.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
If high school musicals counted, my Bacon number would be 4:

I
was in
Fiddler on the roof
with:
Scott Buckwald (I)
was in
Sensations (1987)
with
Gary Warner (I)
was in
Godzilla (1998)
with
Glenn Morshower
was in
The River Wild (1994)
with
Kevin Bacon

If personal relations counted, my mother was Kevin Bacon's first cousin's roomate at Oakwood School (Boarding prep school)

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
If personal relationships counted, one of my missionary companions was an extra in Footloose, giving me a Bacon number of 2.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an Erdos number of 5.

I remember discussing this when the XKCD comic first appeared.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
On a more impressive note, as a composer I have a Stravinsky number of 3, and as a guitarist, a Segovia number of 2. These days, there few people with higher numbers than that. [Big Grin]
Perhaps you meant lower rather than higher. I suspect that the number of people with infinite Stravinsky and Segovia numbers is more than just a few.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Would it be infinite or undefined? I always confuse the two.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
Would it be infinite or undefined? I always confuse the two.

That's a matter of contention. I've seen it defined both ways.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Either works.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Destineer:
What movie?

picture perfect, a dumb romcom I can't even show my friends

I've had it threatened since that I'm starting to look more and more like kevin bacon, that my destiny is to become the Sam of that movie

oh god

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.