FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » TV & Movie Volume Levels

Author Topic: TV & Movie Volume Levels
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm watching "Killers" (enjoying it a lot so far) on netflix while folding laundry, and I have turn up the volume to hear what they are saying, and then plunge the volume down for each action sequence.

Why why why do they do this? I don't need to hear the gun fire and squealing tires, pulsing music and inarticulate shouts super clearly to follow the movie, but I sure need to be able to hear the dialog.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
Think of the dialogue as the normal volume level and the explosions as the total opposite, and everything starts to make sense. Still don't get it? Fine, I'll explain, dammit.

Your brain uses sound as an indicator of danger, or, rather, you subconsciously assume if it's louder you should pay more attention to it. It's the same reason (probably) why commercials are louder than the actual programs. If it's louder, you'll focus more on it. Just like we yell when we argue with people.

In other words, explosions are supposed to make you scared and pump that adrinaline, which is why they're louder. And it works, except in your case. You probably need to get some surround sound going in your house, or you need to change the settings on your TV.

Either way, you shouldn't be watching Killers. That movie sucks.

[ June 09, 2011, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: Jeff C. ]

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm the same way -- the explosions are too loud, so I turn it down, and then the dialog is too quiet for me to understand it, so I turn it up.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Well I for one thoroughly enjoyed Killers...Jeff, why did you think it sucked?
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

That's the one with Ashton Kutcher right? If so, then here you go.

It was overly predictable, honestly. I watched it right after it came out on DVD (rented it), and I knew the ending five minutes in. I didn't blame the film for that, but it's just one of those films people will end up forgetting because there was no real substance to it. It was entertaining in the sense that I was too lazy to get up and turn it off or change the channel, and it kept my brain mind-numbingly content (which is, after all, why most of us watch tv), so I didn't complain. In compaison to other good films though, I wouldn't give it much credit.

But that's me. Everyone's different. I've met people who thought Catwoman was amazing (seriously), while I've known others who said Up was stupid (as you can imagine, I was somewhat dissapointed in their lack of awesomeness). Regardless, those movies exist for a reason (obvously, or they wouldn't make them), and people generally like them, even if a month later no one can remember anything about them. But who cares? Movies are movies.

And books are awesome.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
The volume in action sequences usually doesn't bother me. However (possibly due to our lack of good audio equipment/surround sound? Not sure) the balance of some TV shows is such that it's often hard to hear dialogue when that dialogue is being spoken over music. Very frustrating.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
I'm watching "Killers" (enjoying it a lot so far) on netflix while folding laundry, and I have turn up the volume to hear what they are saying, and then plunge the volume down for each action sequence.

Why why why do they do this? I don't need to hear the gun fire and squealing tires, pulsing music and inarticulate shouts super clearly to follow the movie, but I sure need to be able to hear the dialog.

The answer to this depends on your configuration. A common cause of dialog that is substantially lower volume than other sound is that you have a 5.1 surround source being delivered by a 2-channel (stereo) speaker system, such as that found in most TVs.

A 5.1 source has a dedicated center channel that is used primarily for dialog. This channel is often handled poorly in the 5.1- to 2-channel down-mixing.

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
What MattP said. Often times it's the limitation of the audio system, and not something to do with the shows or movies themselves.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't go out of way to recommend Killers, but I enjoyed it and didn't understand the absolutely abysmal ratings it got.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
More than in action scenes, it's more annoying when you're watching TV and the show is a normal volume, but the commercials are about ten times louder.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
I'm the same way -- the explosions are too loud, so I turn it down, and then the dialog is too quiet for me to understand it, so I turn it up.

And you don't have an aging parent slowly going deaf in the kitchen, who sits watching an episode of NCIS or something, and the commercial comes on blaring so loud and with such insistance, that you can hear it all over the house... And by the way, I was visiting my parents recently, and I counted 5 subscription drug commercials in one break, all age-related. We're having a health care crisis, and the tv is screaming at my dad about urinary incontinence.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

quote:
Originally posted by Bella Bee:
More than in action scenes, it's more annoying when you're watching TV and the show is a normal volume, but the commercials are about ten times louder.

Congress tried to pass a law that would make it so the advertisements didn't get louder like that, but it didn't go through.

Yay lobbying!

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I wrote a letter to AMC about their commercials being so loud that I avoid their station (when upstairs on my old tv, my newer tv downstairs seems to take care of the problem by itself) and they didn't write me back.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
The volume in action sequences usually doesn't bother me. However (possibly due to our lack of good audio equipment/surround sound? Not sure) the balance of some TV shows is such that it's often hard to hear dialogue when that dialogue is being spoken over music. Very frustrating.

I agree.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Having trouble making out dialogue over other sounds usually means that you don't have an audio system with a central channel speaker, and the dvd/bluray/spacehologram you're watching the movie on is poorly converting the audio to a traditional left/right output (or has the option somewhere for the player or the dvd, and this hasn't been changed off of dolby)
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you were just irritable because you were watching Killers. I love Katherine Heigl but that movie was atrocious.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I liked it...if I was irritable it was becuase netflix streaming rarely offers the option of subtitles.
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

quote:
Originally posted by AchillesHeel:
I think you were just irritable because you were watching Killers. I love Katherine Heigl but that movie was atrocious.

OMG thank you [Razz]
happymann
Member # 9559

- posted      Profile for happymann   Email happymann         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a subtitles guy myself for this reason.
Posts: 258 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.