FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Question About Game Development Companies

Author Topic: Question About Game Development Companies
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I figured this would be a good place to ask this since people around here seem to know alot about this kind of stuff.

How can you tell if a game development company is actually real? Is there any way to tell if they're actually developing and marketing real games?

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
It should be pretty obvious with a bit of searching. If it isn't, asking on hatrack will ferret out the answer. Got a particular company in mind?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, what's the full story here?
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

lol... It's Hades Labs.

The full story is that I have an extremely elusive ex who may or may not be showing up to a legal conference next month. He is currently listing that company as his employer (and himself as owner) and I am trying to figure out if this is actually a legitimate business this time or another smoke screen.

It's actually the first "lead" I've had on him in almost 3 years, so I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it supposedly a video game development company? Even the smallest of those tend to have some web presence, which Hades Labs does not. If it's real it's either very small (i.e. a single person's DBA) or hasn't done anything yet (which is also unusual - most "new" studios, even small ones, tend to be created by people from other studios and there's usually at least *some* press about the creation of the new entity).

Also, if he doesn't have any history in game development, it's unlikely that he's founded a game development company.

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

They aren't on http://gamedevmap.com/ , which isn't complete, but is pretty good. I found one woman who has claimed to work for "Hades Labs, LLC" since 2002, as a "creative director/copywriter", but as far as I can tell that's just a name she does occasional contract business as.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Someone has formed an LLC with that name, recently in MA, which you can see info about here, including the name of the registered agent: http://www.ishcc.org/MA/Somerville/hades-labs-llc

It looks like that same person has registered the domain name hadeslabs.net, but with fake information. The contact info is like this:

quote:
Suriel Kriesnal
1111 Nowhere Rd
Nowhere, Texas 78001
United States

But the email clearly matches the name of the registered agent on the LLC.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
No knowledge of game development under that name. There's a "Hades Lab" that produces occasional smartphone apps. Games, not so much.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

Thanks fugu! (Well, actually, thanks EVERYONE!)

I hadn't found the Suriel Kriesnal name. I actually found a different address (still in MA), but it's a Box #, so of limited use in an of itself

He has a history in computers, but mostly (from what I know) in cyber security. I'm assuming it's a game development company only because a couple of searches have pointed that way, and another person who is supposedly "employed" there is listing herself as a game developer.

It's looking like this is a smoke screen. I only paid attention to it because the company seems to be created in January of this year, which is right before I started getting CS payments again, so... I thought it might be legit.

Thanks again! I appreciate it!

Samprimary
Member # 8561

[Big Grin]

Well, if you ever need The Internet's help in tracking him down, I'm sure The Internet will be able to provide somehow.

DDDaysh
Member # 9499

lol... sort of.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.