FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ebert vs. Margera (R.I.P. Ryan Dunn) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ebert vs. Margera (R.I.P. Ryan Dunn)
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Good question...so, the person decides to play, puts one bullet into the gun, points it at their own head, click, then at the sleeper, boom...I don't know if that meets the criteria of deliberate murder.
quote:
The law generally differentiates between levels of criminal culpability based on the mens rea, or state of mind. This is particularly true within the law of homicide, where murder requires either the intent to kill – a state of mind called malice, or malice aforethought – or the knowledge that one's actions are likely to result in death; manslaughter, on the other hand, requires a lack of any prior intention to kill or create a deadly situation.

Manslaughter is usually broken down into two distinct categories: voluntary manslaughter and involuntary manslaughter.

Source. (emphasis mine)

Seems like murder to me.

I'm not sure at all if drinking and driving is likely to cause the death of others.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
That depends entirely in circumstances outside the drunk driver's control, at least as far as others are concerned. It's likely to result in death if one is drunk while driving through a school zone, for example, when school is getting out. Lots of small, unwary pedestrians. Less likely driving through an industrial district late at night. Much less likely when driving a rural road very late at night.

But if one is driving many thousands of pounds of metal at even moderate speeds while drunk...well, the likelihood of death becomes much more a matter of luck.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
I'm not sure at all if drinking and driving is likely to cause the death of others.

And this attitude is EXACTLY why Ebert said what he did.

quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
but come on...we are not exactly ignorant of the concept that drinking and driving is bad

Not nearly aware enough. Case in point.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Does likely mean greater than 50% chance, or something less restrictive? I imagine driving drunk through a school zone when school lets out still would result in death less than 50% of the time, yet I would personally label it as 'likely' anyways.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

rivka, those two statements live harmoniously. Something can be bad, and dangerous and not have a high statistical likely hood of causing deaths. Not only that, you are quoting me saying I'm not sure...as in, don't know for certain.

Sheesh.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
you can be sure that drinking and driving is likely to cause scores of messy and preventable deaths. there doesn't need to be any ambiguity in the matter.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Drinking and driving ≠ deliberate murder.

Drinking and driving = illegal, immoral, evil, dangerous, stupid, preventable.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to point out that the writers of the second Freakonomics book looked at accidents involving drunk driving and accidents involving walking home drunk and found that you are at greater risk walking home, than you are driving. They summed it up with, "Friends don't let friends walk home drunk."

That's more an argument for having a designated driver, than drunk driving, but I was surprised to read that that was the case.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowland
Member # 12366

- posted      Profile for shadowland   Email shadowland         Edit/Delete Post 
In 2008 there were 11,773 alcohol-impaired fatalities, and there were 1,171,935 DUI arrests throughout the US. (Unknown is how many of those arrests prevented a fatality, and how many drunk drivers were never stopped) From those statistics, we know that no more than 1% of drunk drivers caused a death in 2008. With that said, there were 11,773 deaths (and countless more injuries) that should have been avoided. That in itself is a good enough of a reason to treat drunk driving very seriously and very harshly. And there are additional valid reasons as well. I don't think there is any need to rely on 'likeliness to cause death' as a reason to shun drunk driving.
Posts: 161 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
I don't care what people do to themselves when they are adults, but getting in a car drunk is a deliberate murder just waiting to happen

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
You can be sure that drinking and driving is likely to cause scores of messy and preventable deaths.

+1
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Those are very nearly the same statements. In another situation, with comparable risks and uncertainties, few would hesitate to call it deliberate murder waiting to happen-if I fired a gun into a house at 2 in the afternoon thinking no one would be at home, and someone *was* there and I killed 'em, well...

If I drive a huge hunk of fast moving metal while my reflexes, judgment, and senses are impaired and just didn't realize I might've killed someone...

Drunk driving isn't something people are in the dark about. In order to get a license, even, you are required to learn something of how dangerous it is. There isn't anyone who hasn't been taught-just people who don't believe it.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.