FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Can you guess the food based on the ingredients list?

Author Topic: Can you guess the food based on the ingredients list?
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Slate's Ingredient quiz

I didn't do great. In my defense, I have never eaten 90% of those "foods".

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I scored 9 out of 11. I don't eat any of foods in the quiz but I read the labels on all my food. (I have too, because I'm gluten intolerant).

I've pretty much reached the point where if there are more than ~5 ingredients listed on the package, I don't eat it. It's too easy to miss something and poison myself.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
That was fun. Thanks, kat!

[Edited to add: I don't eat any of the things on the list regularly, and have never had most of them.]

I got 6 of 11 right. My thoughts on each one (which you shouldn't read until after you've taken the test, as I list the correct answer for each of the items in the quiz:

Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing: I got this one right. Oil as a first ingredient and egg yolk as the second just screamed "salad dressing" to me.

Chex Mix: I got this one right. I knew that it wasn't Fritos, since those have surprisingly few ingredients (just corn, oil, and salt, if I recall correctly), there were too many grains and too little sugar involved for it to be Corn Pops, and too many types of grain and not enough citric acid to be lime flavor chips. Process of elimination dictated that it had to be the Chex Mix.

Betty Crocker Bac-Os: I got this one wrong. My first guess was the soy crisps.

Fresca: got this one right, but only because I knew that Fresca contained glycerol ester of wood rosin. Until I got to that ingredient I was leaning toward Hansen's.

Canada Dry Ginger Ale: got this one wrong. It was clearly pop, but I had no idea which kind.

Roast Beef Flavor Ramen: got this one wrong. I was certain that it wsn't the chicken soup, since the ingredients didn't include chicken or anything likely to taste chickeny, but my first guess was the spring vegetable Lipton cup-a-soup. This was mostly because I guessed that the person who'd put together the quiz was making a point about meat products being in dishes that one would usually assume were vegetarian.

Boca burgers: I got this one right. There wouldn't be onion in either of the straight tofu options, and the soy that makes up tofu probably wouldn't be described as "soy protein concentrate". That's going to be an ingredient in a more processed, convenience-food type item. There weren't enough ingredients in this one to be the veggie buffalo wings.

Peppermint Dentyne Ice Gum: I got this one right. With gum base as the second ingredient, and there being only one type of gum in the list, this was pretty easy.

Kellogg's Pop Tarts, S'mores flavor: I got this one wrong. It was a bit of a toss up between the pop tarts and the chocolate Cheerios for me.

Purina Dry Cat Chow: I got this one wrong. It was clear that this was pet food, but I had no idea which of the two cat food options was the right answer. I went with the one with "organic" in the title, again because I suspected that the quiz maker was trying to make a point. I need to stop doing that. They clearly aren't being subtle with this.

Vanilla-Flavored Charleston Chew: I got this one right, and was pretty confident that I would. It just seemed obvious from the ingredients list. Three Musketeers don't have quite that much crap in them, I think, and the list just didn't say "peep" to me. I think that the lactose and the milk protein concentrate where what made me certain that it wasn't the tootsie roll.

Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I missed the Vanilla-Flavored Charleston Chew. I've never had one. I don't think I've ever seen one. I was thrown off by cocoa as an ingredient in a vanilla flavored chew. I was expecting it to be a bite sized candy. Turns out its a candy-bar with a chocolate flavored coating.

I also missed the Bac-Os. I picked the Soy Crisps even though I knew Bac-Os are soy based. In retrospect, the red-40 should have been a dead give away.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I recognise more than 20% of the products, let alone the ingredients.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
I missed the Vanilla-Flavored Charleston Chew. I've never had one.

Yeah, I've never had one either, and if it's a candy bar with a chocolate flavored coating I was just completely wrong about what it even was. I though that it was a tootsie-roll type thing with a white, differently flavored core.

quote:
I also missed the Bac-Os. I picked the Soy Crisps even though I knew Bac-Os are soy based. In retrospect, the red-40 should have been a dead give away.

I kicked myself for not picking up on the red-40 with that one.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I scored 9 out of 11. I don't eat any of foods in the quiz but I read the labels on all my food. (I have too, because I'm gluten intolerant).

I've pretty much reached the point where if there are more than ~5 ingredients listed on the package, I don't eat it. It's too easy to miss something and poison myself.

I also read food labels because of allergies and have stopped eating foods with more than a couple ingredients that I can't pronounce. While my allergies can be very annoying, they also help me eat healthy.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
While my allergies can be very annoying, they also help me eat healthy.
I'm not sure if I eat healthier, but I definitely eat a lot less heavily processed food. Reading the ingredients list can be pretty unappetizing even if you aren't allergic to anything.
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm kicking myself for missing the soda one, because it was the only one of the choices that doesn't have caffeine.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
I'm kicking myself for missing the soda one, because it was the only one of the choices that doesn't have caffeine.

I should have picked up on that, too. What caught me was the caramel color.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I got 10/11. Only missed the last one. Once or twice I wasn't 100% positive but was pretty sure.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Which one did you miss?
scifibum
Member # 7625

The candy bar one. I missed it twice before I got it right.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

quote:
Originally posted by dkw:

Yeah, I was kicking myself for that one too. I've finally come to terms with it, though. [Wink]
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:

Has anyone ever even heard of the Vanilla Flavored Charleston Chew before this quiz?
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.

I got 7 out of 11, but on the 4 I got wrong, I knew it was one of two, and thus got the right answer the second time.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Charleston Chews were big when I was a kid. I don't think I've seen one in the last 30 years, though.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

I've heard of them, and there are a couple of grocery stores in my area that sell them. I don't really buy candy bars, though, so I've never been tempted to try one.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I was average - I got 5 and the average was 5.2.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:

Has anyone ever even heard of the Vanilla Flavored Charleston Chew before this quiz?
I've had them. I just couldn't figure out which candy the ingredients matched. I started with Tootsie Rolls and then guessed 3 Musketeers.

I had mentally ruled out 3 Musketeers due to the lack of "chocolate" in the ingredient list, but after missing the question I kind of went there randomly.

dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I like charleston chews. I even have one in my freezer. I like nougat.

I got a 7/11. Got the two sodas wrong, the gum (my 2nd choice), and the pet food (guessed the other pet food).

I felt very sure about the ramen, bac-o's, and charleston chew ones. I read a decent number of labels.

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I got 6 of 11, and on 4 of the 5 I got wrong my second guess was right. I got the first soda question wrong too.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
I got 6/11. I felt sure on the sodas, the ramen, and the Purina, the latter of which I actually recall reading several months ago out of curiosity. All the others were guesses, though on many I was able to narrow the choices down to two.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

- posted      Profile for Mr. Y   Email Mr. Y         Edit/Delete Post 
I got 5 out of 11. Just below the average, but I think it's quite a good score nonetheless. This is because I never read the labels on products and I've never had/bought any of the items in that quiz.
Posts: 1100 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm the same as rivka, almost. 6 right, and the other 5 I got on the second try.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happymann
Member # 9559

- posted      Profile for happymann   Email happymann         Edit/Delete Post 
I got the first four right and was feeling pretty good at myself, until I didn't get any of the others. To be honest, I was actually shocked that I got even four right.
Posts: 258 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.