FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A question about my song of ice and fire thread! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A question about my song of ice and fire thread!
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Now that you've jinxed him, he doesn't stand a chance. I actually like that there's no single protagonist. One of the most unique things about the series is that he sets up a protagonist pretty early on...but kills him. After that, anyone becomes a potential protagonist, and many characters shift between loathsome and anti-hero, or hero and fallen hero, that you never really know what's going to happen.

And to me, that's also a heck of a lot more realistic than stories where a character has to stay inside his archetypal box the whole time.

Yet, it's also very, very annoying at times.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I remain hopeful that Tyrion will become a villain.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Halfway through Dance, it seems possible that he's headed in that direction...

One of the things I'm most afraid to see is his eventual confrontation with Jaime.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, try not to discuss spoilers. I'd hate to be locked out of both my threads!

(You might not consider them spoilers, but given that I just started Feast, I already have insight into the fact that certain characters are definitely not dead in the next book still, and where you think certain plot narratives may be going)

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Oh, and Xavier, definitely read Cryptonomicon, it's extremely awesome.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Sorry Strider. Forgot for a moment that this was specifically intended to be a spoiler-free thread. No more from me!
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
Now that I'm done with Dance, I'm at a loss for what to read next. Before Dance I discovered Rothfus and Sanderson (thanks to all you hatrackers) and exhausted their stuff. Now what?
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Now that you've jinxed him, he doesn't stand a chance. I actually like that there's no single protagonist. One of the most unique things about the series is that he sets up a protagonist pretty early on...but kills him. After that, anyone becomes a potential protagonist, and many characters shift between loathsome and anti-hero, or hero and fallen hero, that you never really know what's going to happen.

And to me, that's also a heck of a lot more realistic than stories where a character has to stay inside his archetypal box the whole time.

Yet, it's also very, very annoying at times.

So it's like The Office.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I've seen all of the office...I don't see the connection. It's not at all uncommon for a sitcom to not have a single protagonist. I think by far though, the office only has two real contenders.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Connection = very, very annoying at times = The Office = Song of Icey Hot
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
I just started reading A Game of Thrones, but since the POV switches every chapter, it becomes a little jarring. I'm having trouble following the narrative because of it.

Can I ask a question about something near the beginning of the first book..?

SLIGHT SPOILERS

Do the direwolves they find play a significant role in the story at all? Don't tell me the details. I just want a yes/no kind of answer. I really liked the scene and the way it unfolded, with the albino wolf and so on.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff C.:
Do the direwolves they find play a significant role in the story at all? Don't tell me the details. I just want a yes/no kind of answer. I really liked the scene and the way it unfolded, with the albino wolf and so on.

Yes.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff C.:
I just started reading A Game of Thrones, but since the POV switches every chapter, it becomes a little jarring. I'm having trouble following the narrative because of it.

Can I ask a question about something near the beginning of the first book..?

SLIGHT SPOILERS

I think they definitely will play a significant role. So far they have been pretty minor with only a few important scenes.
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes AND no...
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

lol yeah. There's a lot of wishy-washiness to that answer, unfortunately.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Dogbreath:
BTW, it's been like a week since you updated The Westeros Files. Are you still doing it?

Just a note. I've put up a couple of posts recently that bring me up to page 700. Will probably do another one tonight, possibly two, to get me to page 782, where I actually am in the reading.

For anyone who is still reading along with me...

Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been reading along, and greatly enjoying it. If you can tolerate me guessing about the next Dunk and Egg story, I think the tall man and woman [someone] saw by the Weirwood in the God's Wood kissing are Dunk and maybe Old Nan. (Not so old back then, of course) Hodor is Old Nan's grandson, and I've always been fond of the idea that perhaps she and Dunk were lovers. It'd explain the 7 foot tall grandchild at any rate.

([someone] not mentioned so as not to provide any spoilers)

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

So, the end of Storm of Swords was pretty crazy! I'm now pretty far into book 4.

*Spoilers for Feast For Crows*

I just got to the part where Brienne and Podrick are hanged by the Outlaws. I don't know for sure if they're dead, but if they are, I'd be infuriated.

The book had been pretty calm so far too.

Interestingly, before I read it, everyone had said how they were frustrated with it because it didn't focus on the main characters and brought in a whole new host of characters. But I don't totally get that criticism. I mean, yes, I definitely miss John Snow and Bran and Tyrion. I'm curious as to what Daenerys is up to, but I was never all that invested in her story. But we still have Arya (thank god) and a host of characters who have become important over the last few books, like Jamie and Brienne and Sam. I miss Davos, I liked him, I hope he's not really dead. He keeps killing off relatively significant characters "off screen" so to speak. The Hound...I was pretty bummed that he died actually.

I have a question for those that have read Dance. And this is the only spoiler I'm asking for, but can someone please tell me whether any of the Stark kids (and this would include John) are reunited in Dance? I don't want to know who or how or anything. Just a yes or no. I'm dying of curiosity.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Not as such, no.
And you may have missed a few textual clues about the Hound's death that would put a different spin on that...

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I could think of an interpretation of the Stark kids that would suggest a possible reunion. But nothing explicit, no.

I'm still confused as to what is going on with the Hound, and I'm through book 5.

Strider
Member # 1807

hmmm...well I don't think I've missed anything in particular, but obviously I'm wrong. [Smile] That one dude said he buried the Hound himself, and it doesn't seem that he would have been resurrected. But that's okay, I'll see what happens.

No other spoilers for 5 please!

Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Strider, here is the other interpretation for the Hound. Spoilers for the section of FEAST you already read here but none at all for Dance. Avoid this only if you dislike other people pointing out text you may have skimmed. [Smile]

The dude who said he buried the Hound explicitly refused to say that Sandor Clegane was dead. He said "The Hound" was dead, and when someone called him Sandor the priest immediately switched to "He is at rest."

Furthermore, that same priest in that very chapter gives Brienne a lengthy discussion of how he himself "died," during a battle after which he became a silent brother.

Add to this the fact that there is a new acolyte digging graves at the Quiet Isle who stands a head above everyone else, walks with a limp, keeps his face covered and only seems fond of the temple's dog... well, The Hound may be dead, but Sandor is almost certainly not.

I, for one, am extremely happy for this, as Sandor is one of my favorite characters.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.