FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Welcome to Hatrack! You are wrong.

Author Topic: Welcome to Hatrack! You are wrong.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
So I'm putting forth that this phrase be made the official motto of Hatrack, and we have some t-shirts and coffee mugs printed up.

What do you guys think?

(Let me guess, you are going to greet me and inform me of my status?)

[ July 14, 2011, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: Stone_Wolf_ ]

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
The comma is wrong. Some possible alternatives:

Welcome to Hatrack. You are wrong.
Welcome to Hatrack! You are wrong.
Welcome to Hatrack; you are wrong.
Welcome to Hatrack--you are wrong.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I like: Welcome to Hatrack! You are wrong.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
NO. It should be, "Welcome to Hatrack. You are wrong!"
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

I agree with Kate.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

But people are really friendly, so the welcome gets the exclamation. The fact that they are wrong is merely a fact, thus the period. It's the whole point of the motto...we are friendly and disagree with you.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

True. Depends on how you mean it.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, not a fan of the phrase.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Why not RA?
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, for starters, you just used it in an area where there explicitly wasn't a single correct answer, and my instinctive response was not "what a fun way to signal polite disagreement!" it was "Man, this guy goes around announcing his opinions as facts," and it was pretty annoying. ("Welcome to Hatrack..." is annoying in general when I've been here for four years, unless being used in a particularly ironic or funny way.

In general, though, the statement feels confrontational in a way that I don't really want on this forum. There ARE other forums I hang out on where people rib each other more often and I enjoy them, but I like being able to come here for polite conversation. (I know that's been less of a thing hatrack is known for lately, but I still pretend).

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I've never been a huge fan, either. For one thing, it's been blatantly stolen from Ornery, where it's also more likely to be true.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:
I agree with Kate.

You're wrong.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
("Welcome to Hatrack..." is annoying in general when I've been here for four years, unless being used in a particularly ironic or funny way.

*squick*
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

)
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

In other news, I just lost the game.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I think

quote:
Welcome to teh internet. Your wrong.*
Would make a better t-shirt

*typos and misspellings intended.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

The "Your" makes me cringe in agony, no matter how intentional it is.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

+1
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Yeah, I've never been a huge fan, either. For one thing, it's been blatantly stolen from Ornery, where it's also more likely to be true.

This is the first occurrence of the phrase as near as I can tell.

Later, I used it fairly often. I attributed it to Lisa; where she got it from...:shrug:

I haven't read Ornery in a long, long, long time.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's one from a little earlier.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

+1
It'll never stick.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
From Papa, who actually states it was said here, on the wrong forum. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rollainm:
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

+1
It'll never stick.
+1
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Touché, sir.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Well, I signed up on ornery, but apparently they need to approve me...so after that happens, I'll ask them if that is their saying.
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rollainm:
Touché, sir.

[Hat]
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
Well, I signed up on ornery, but apparently they need to approve me...so after that happens, I'll ask them if that is their saying.

Here is the earliest one I could find there, but even that one references an earlier one.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Good golly!
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Since trying to Officially Slogan it would be one of the fastest ways to make people tired of it, I'm all for it.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I haven't even lurked at ornery in forever. But I was still logged in!
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly I always manage to be wrong here, though most people are fairly nice about it, seems apt to me.
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

They mind over at Ornery...so I'm dropping the suggestion.
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
Phrase or no, I'm happy to see that Hatrack has maintained the delightful taupe/gray scheme. It's so easy on the eyes.

I don't know why other forums think that White text/all black background makes them so awesome and tough. I just go half blind and when I look away, I see Darth Vader everywhere.

Teh interwebz, making people act superior since 1970.

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

quote:
They mind over at Ornery...so I'm dropping the suggestion.

Shipmate, the people that mind don't matter, and the people that matter don't mind.

...Unless the people that mind are copyright holders...and own both sites.

Perhaps it's better to play it safe, charlie brown.

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

How about "Hatrack. Yes, we know he's too old to play Ender now."
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

LoL
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by odouls268:
How about "Hatrack. Yes, we know he's too old to play Ender now."

Works for me.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know. I think that Dwayne Johnson could still pull it off.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

"Can you smell what the Ender is cooking?"
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang facebook, I keep looking for a like button on posts
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Marek:

T:man likes this.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happymann
Member # 9559

- posted      Profile for happymann   Email happymann         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by T:man:
quote:

Isn't it +1 now?
Posts: 258 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

quote:
Originally posted by happymann:
quote:
quote:

Isn't it +1 now?
+1
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
RT
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by happymann:
quote:
quote:

Isn't it +1 now?
+1

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.