FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hello America. Spotify here.

Author Topic: Hello America. Spotify here.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
So Spotify is now available in the U.S. Has anybody gotten it yet? I've signed up for an invite for the free version and am hoping to get in soon.

I'm curious to know how well it works and what you like best about the service. Seems almost criminal to be able to find and play any song by any artist for free. [Cool]

www.spotify.com

[ July 14, 2011, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: advice for robots ]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Let me know how it works for you and if everything works out, I'll sign up for it too.

Congratulations afr, I just nominated you to be guinea pig.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this ad supported or what? How ISN'T it criminal?
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

It's ad supported for the free service. This is a huge service over in Europe. I guess it's legal the way Pandora is legal. I don't know how all the rights are managed or if any royalties are earned.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

It works really well. Finally got the invite and got Spotify set up. Immediately searched for some obscure indie bands and there they were. Hit play and bam--just like listening to my iPod. I've noticed that some bands, particularly huge names like Pink Floyd, don't seem to have many songs available here. Spotify also searches my iTunes library so Pink Floyd songs show up anyway, but they're grayed out and might not play if I didn't already have them on my computer.

The free version has banner ads that pop up occasionally, and the occasional "commercial" you have to listen to before going on to the next song. You can get paid versions that have none of that, and include other things like a cloud service that allows mobile devices to use it too.

Overall, a Holy Crap-level service. I still can't believe it's possible.

advice for robots
Member # 2544

Mmmmph, time limit. Have to upgrade to the paid service to lose that. This amazing free service is showing its limits pretty quickly. [Smile]

Still pretty amazing, though.

ETA: Looks like the time limit (and other limits) doesn't apply to the Spotify Free service, which is invitation only. Nice.

I'll shut up now. Feel free to post about this if you care.

[ July 20, 2011, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: advice for robots ]

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been trying it out and liking it so far. Adds are slightly more annoying than Pandora, which I guess is fair.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I really like that Pandora helps me find new music I like...but at times I'm like "Just play the song I want!"...guess I need this program.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.