FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Megatokyo & My Fandub Project (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Megatokyo & My Fandub Project
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tarrsk:
Samp, one of these days, I want you to write a history of the internet... or at least the parts you know a lot about - which seems like most of it. It'd make for some pretty fantastic (not to mention juicy) reading, I bet.

I also have to admit that I'm kind of impressed that Blayne managed to go from never having heard of Megatokyo to personally pissing off its creator in the space of about a month. That's some primo internet fail/win right there.

I have alot of charisma, in the forceful personality definition.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Alot of charisma.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I believe that is grammarnazi level of anality.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
There's that charisma!
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
quote:
Originally posted by Dogbreath:
Just out of curiosity, have you ever been to Japan, Blayne?

I regularly hangout with JETs and other expats, and read various blogs (mostly JET related like Gaijin Smash, but some others like Gaijin Mama) so I have no 'illusions' about Japan nor would Megatokyo give me any.
So I'll take that as a "no"?
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Usually by physically rolling my eyes and then complaining on teamspeak to some of the other channel folks. Who try to assure me "The man I ate dinner with isn't really like that!"
you also, at least in that small snipped, rolled your eyes at him.

I guarantee that if you showed us the rest of the iceberg we've only been shown the tip of, we'd have plenty to show you about what you don't realize about your own behavior, but tom's already gone into that.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a no, but it's irrelevant. After all, secondhand knowledge is the way to have no illusions about a subject as wide and varied as an entire culture, and to be emphatically sure about it.

In comparison, I wouldn't say I've no illusions about *American* culture, and I've been a US citizen in the US for over ten adult years. I wouldnt even say I have no illusions about *Floridian* culture.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

Um, read my only two posts in this thread again. I'm really not feeling up to being attacked for an opinion I never stated. I even attached the disclaimer "just out of curiosity" to my question precisely so it wouldn't be misinterpreted.

In fact, I've never read Megatokyo, and don't know what it's about. Since I suppose my motives will be questioned shortly: Blayne seems to have a great love of the Japanese culture and language, and I was wondering if he had ever visited here before. I assure you, whatever cruel barb or devious slander was implied by my comment is entirely unintentional.

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

In fact I meant no cruel barb nor devious slander myself (more importantly, I didn't mean to suggest you did). I did mean to bust a little balls about degrees of assumed knowledge based on flimsy evidence, but the intent wasn't cruel and not crafty enough to be devious.

How it'll be received, on the other hand, well...time will tell.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
I completely forgot about megatokyo.

Is piro still terrible at writing and scheduling?

Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
at one point he was making more money on a bad schedule than on a good one because people would keep revisiting/refreshing the page waiting for it to finally show up, in the hopes it wouldn't be another 'i am so sad/sick/internet broke' No Comic Today filler pic
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
In fact I meant no cruel barb nor devious slander myself (more importantly, I didn't mean to suggest you did). I did mean to bust a little balls about degrees of assumed knowledge based on flimsy evidence, but the intent wasn't cruel and not crafty enough to be devious.

How it'll be received, on the other hand, well...time will tell.

I dunno, I do think personal experience adds a little something that can't be replaced by all the anime and blogs in the world. I know there are many, many people in the world who have never visited Japan, yet know far more about Japanese culture, food, and entertainment than I ever will. I'm sure Blayne is one of those people. And yet... I feel that residing in Japan, and getting to know and work with people and see and walk through places that will probably never be visited by a tourist, I understand Japan in certain ways they never will. Which isn't to say I have a more objective opinion, or that I know more than they do, it's just different.

Regardless, my intention in asking Blayne was in hopes that maybe he'd been to some of the same places I'd been. He seems more interested in proving he's cooler than anyone else than actually discussing the culture, though.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:

Regardless, my intention in asking Blayne was in hopes that maybe he'd been to some of the same places I'd been. He seems more interested in proving he's cooler than anyone else than actually discussing the culture, though.

Has there been even the littlest bit of proof to this?

Also I do regular skype with Japanese people as part of my efforts to learn Japanese, learn something new everyday and do intend to at least visit the place for 1-2 weeks before applying to JET.

I'm not 16, I am in possession of common sense.

quote:

you also, at least in that small snipped, rolled your eyes at him.

I guarantee that if you showed us the rest of the iceberg we've only been shown the tip of, we'd have plenty to show you about what you don't realize about your own behavior, but tom's already gone into that.

And thats ridiculous, I was polite and never resorted to personal insults or attacks, at worst you could claim that I was highly opinionated and self assured in that opinion. That is what fred had a problem with, that I could claim that there was an "objective reality" and a right answer to things.

For example he made a comment regarding dwarves in Lord of the Rings as being a kind of parody of something, I pointed out that no Tolkien based them on Medieval Jewish culture and sourced the books and the evidence to back this up and he threw and then insinuated I was being "a touch" anti Semitic.

Then he said "Doctor Who doesn't have a story anyways." I assured him that yes it does, he said "its not like its numbered" I then said yes it is and linked him to wikipedia and explained that each season is its own story arc etc.

He went passive aggressive saying "...and I got a wall of text, whatever doctor who fan."

I have the logs but everything would be out of context from each other and their interrelation and since I'm still trying to get along I don't see much point.

But trust me when I say that what I posted here in terms of my anger is not what I posted there, the most disrespectful thing I've typed is "rollseyes" a grand total of twice.

[ August 11, 2011, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Blayne Bradley ]

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
[22:59] <@fredrin> drawrfs are kind of a self-mocking allegory
[22:59] <@fredrin> elves are a self-creaming fantasy allegory
[22:59] <@fredrin> the real humans in LOtR are the hobbits
01[23:00] <raenirsalazar> to just Humans, Tyrrians (Draconain expires), Dwarves (who are tibetan shaman stand ins), Dark Elves.
01[23:00] <raenirsalazar> Dwarves are actually an allegory towards the Jews.
01[23:00] <raenirsalazar> in Tolkiens work anyways
[23:01] <karencasey> oh look http://www.deviantart.com/#/d41jv87
[23:01] <chemiclord> trmeson; sci fi writers are afraid to rock the boat because otherwise, publishers won't publish them.
[23:01] <@fredrin> first time i ever heard that
03[23:01] * sonicfan2d91 (sonicfan2d91@sonicfan2d91.irc.justin.tv) has joined #fredrin
03[23:01] * project_mars (project_mars@project_mars.irc.justin.tv) has joined #fredrin
[23:01] <@fredrin> might be true, but damn i sure dont see it
[23:01] <project_mars> someone got shot near my work
[23:01] <@fredrin> eh?
[23:01] <karencasey> Damn o.o
[23:02] <@fredrin> wtf is with this week?
[23:02] <@fredrin> goddamn nutjobs are shooting the shit out of things this week
[23:02] <project_mars> Across the street
01[23:02] <raenirsalazar> you dont see the parallels betweent he Dwarven nostalgia and single minded determination to reclaim Moria with Jewish Zionism?
[23:02] <chemiclord> The sci-fi genre has stagnated to the point to the point where publishers won't accept anything that isn't of a very narrow range of interests.
[23:02] <project_mars> can't recall if it was fatal
[23:02] <project_mars> because i didn't know until hours later
[23:02] <project_mars> also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzq2O54LLIw (warning: Parody of a song everyone hates)
01[23:03] <raenirsalazar> Tolkien was now influenced by his own selective reading of medieval texts regarding the Jewish people and their history.[5] The dwarves' characteristics of being dispossessed of their homeland (the Lonely Mountain, their ancestral home, is the goal the exiled Dwarves seek to reclaim), and living among other groups whilst retaining their own culture are all derived from the medieval image of Jews,[5][6] whilst their warlike nature stems from accounts in the Hebrew Bible.[5] Medieval views of Jews also saw them as having a propensity for making well-crafted and beautiful things,[5] a trait shared with Norse dwarve
[23:03] <project_mars> They're Void Rays Void Rays, Gotta Mass up my Void Rays.
[23:03] <project_mars> but yeah
01[23:04] <raenirsalazar> okay what part was sent
[23:04] <project_mars> the crazy thing: afaik, he hasn't been caught
[23:04] <project_mars> but given that the guy is said to be 55+
01[23:04] <raenirsalazar> apparantly i sent the message too fast
[23:04] <@fredrin> raenirsalazar: that thing about Moria is a total stretch
[23:04] <project_mars> it cut off at "the goal t..."
[23:04] <@fredrin> sorry
01[23:04] <raenirsalazar> Tolkien was now influenced by his own selective reading of medieval texts regarding the Jewish people and their history.[5] The dwarves' characteristics of being dispossessed of their homeland (the Lonely Mountain
01[23:04] <raenirsalazar> their ancestral home, is the goal the exiled Dwarves seek to reclaim), and living among other groups whilst retaining their own culture are all derived from the medieval image of Jews,[5][6]
01[23:04] <raenirsalazar> whilst their warlike nature stems from accounts in the Hebrew Bible.[5] Medieval views of Jews also saw them as having a propensity for making well-crafted and beautiful things,[5] a trait shared with Norse dwarve
[23:04] <@fredrin> thats like saying that Jewish people are the only obsessive people in the world
[23:05] <project_mars> Considering his age, i get, and hope i'm right, that he isn't planning on other murders
[23:05] <project_mars> or shootings
[23:05] <project_mars> idk if it's fatal
[23:05] <@fredrin> post analysis i assume. And is this Tolkien who said this or some dumbshit analyist?
[23:05] <@fredrin> i dont buy it
01[23:05] <raenirsalazar> The Dwarven calendar invented for The Hobbit reflects the Jewish calendar in beginning in late autumn
01[23:05] <raenirsalazar> the kazdul language is actually based on ancient hebrew
06[23:05] * @fredrin points out that you are bordering on being a smidge anti-semetic here dude
01[23:06] <raenirsalazar> When writing The Lord of the Rings Tolkien continued many of the themes he had set up in The Hobbit. When giving Dwarves their own language (Khuzdûl) Tolkien decided to create an analogue of a Semitic language influenced by Hebrew phonology. Like medieval Jewish groups, the Dwarves use their own language only amongst themselves
[23:06] <@fredrin> so i say maybe its time to just drop it
01[23:06] <raenirsalazar> I have jewish ancestry, and I'm quoting from wikipedia
[23:06] <@fredrin> i still think thats total bullshit
[23:06] <yamaryu> Someone get the jew on fire!
[23:06] <@fredrin> no offence
[23:06] <@fredrin> yam
[23:06] <@fredrin> shut it or ill set ping on you
[23:06] <lulolwen> (He's talking about firekeeper)
[23:06] <yamaryu> I'm talking about firekeeler
01[23:06] <raenirsalazar> "The Jews"/"Jews" isn't politically incorrect.
[23:07] <project_mars> question: what is this about?
[23:07] <yamaryu> Keeper*
[23:07] <project_mars> The Fire Keebler Elf?
[23:07] <trmeson> Fire Elves, when you want your cookies HOT
[23:07] <@fredrin> talking about any ethnicity is politically incorrect
[23:07] <@fredrin> imho
03[23:08] * villx (villx@villx.irc.justin.tv) has joined #fredrin
[23:08] <@fredrin> AGH
[23:08] <@fredrin> oh god, yam, i almost made an inadvertantly bad bad joke
01[23:08] <raenirsalazar> It's all sourced from "The History of the Hobbit" which I believe is all taken from Tolkiens research notes, if not from interviews with the man himself when he was alive
[23:08] <@fredrin> cripes
[23:08] <lulolwen> do eet
[23:08] <project_mars> political correctness is... ergh.
[23:09] <@fredrin> quote to me where he said he was an anti-jewish conspirist and i still wont believe it

I'ld consider this consistent reflection of my behavior there.
manji
Member # 11600

- posted      Profile for manji           Edit/Delete Post 
The sources cited from your quotes of wikipedia come from 3rd parties. You would have been better off quoting Tolkien's own words:

"I do think of the 'Dwarves' like Jews: at once native and alien in their habitations, speaking the languages of the country, but with an accent due to their own private tongue."

"I didn't intend it, but when you've got these people on your hands you've got to make them different, haven't you? The dwarves of course are quite obviously -- wouldn't you say that in many ways they remind you of the Jews? Their words are Semitic, obviously, constructed to be Semitic. The Hobbits are just rustic English people."

Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I have to wonder whether Blayne will eventually resort to complaining about his Hatrack conversations on his IRC conversations on Facebook ... and then complaining about his Facebook conversations on his Hatrack conversations on his IRC conversations back on IRC [Wink]
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by manji:
The sources cited from your quotes of wikipedia come from 3rd parties. You would have been better off quoting Tolkien's own words:

"I do think of the 'Dwarves' like Jews: at once native and alien in their habitations, speaking the languages of the country, but with an accent due to their own private tongue."

"I didn't intend it, but when you've got these people on your hands you've got to make them different, haven't you? The dwarves of course are quite obviously -- wouldn't you say that in many ways they remind you of the Jews? Their words are Semitic, obviously, constructed to be Semitic. The Hobbits are just rustic English people."

IRC being a real time thing I didnt have much time to find the quotes, but maybe I'll invent time travel...

quote:

I have to wonder whether Blayne will eventually resort to complaining about his Hatrack conversations on his IRC conversations on Facebook ... and then complaining about his Facebook conversations on his Hatrack conversations on his IRC conversations back on IRC

I wonder if the universe would explode.
manji
Member # 11600

- posted      Profile for manji           Edit/Delete Post 
Curious. That first quote was on the very wiki page you quoted from.
Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Strange, I didn't see it at the time.
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
I have to wonder whether Blayne will eventually resort to complaining about his Hatrack conversations on his IRC conversations on Facebook ... and then complaining about his Facebook conversations on his Hatrack conversations on his IRC conversations back on IRC [Wink]

The internet is merely a canvas for Blayne to meta-spam the spam he already spammed at other places.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

That's quite enough now, no need to be all disrespectful or in bad taste in someone's thread now. Mucus's was at least in joke form, yours doesn't seem to be so.
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

quote:

Have you ever read your own posts? I can't seem to find one where you're not either trying to start an argument or prove something. For example, in response to a single sentence question you posted 4 paragraphs trying to prove you're not something I didn't even come close to saying you were.

quote:

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Dogbreath:
quote:

Have you ever read your own posts? I can't seem to find one where you're not either trying to start an argument or prove something. For example, in response to a single sentence question you posted 4 paragraphs trying to prove you're not something I didn't even come close to saying you were.

quote:

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

So no, there is no proof that I've ever been "more interested in being cooler than anyone else then having a substantial discussion about Japanese culture".

I am an adult and a university student, that is all you need to know.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Something like that cannot be proven, so there's no surprise in its not being proven here.

There can be *evidence* for it, of course, which is a different thing.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Semantics, you know proof and evidence are interchangeable in colloquial english. What is meant is obvious.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

What you meant is that there's no evidence for it? Yes, that's what I thought you meant. That's why I mentioned the difference between proof and evidence. There's lots of evidence (almost all of which is promptly rejected, no matter who mentions it), but because there is no *proof*, it's simple to reject the evidence.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

What I mean is aside from the occassional anime thread I never ever at any point actually recall anyone wanting to discuss Japan or Japanese culture or the Japanese language, I had a thread where I updated my progress learning Hiragana and I certainly don't recall Dogbreath posting interest.

On that note, I'm at about 200 or so Kanji using the James Hesig method and know more or less my hiragana and my katakana.

Dogbreath
Member # 11879

quote:
So no, there is no proof that I've ever been "more interested in being cooler than anyone else then having a substantial discussion about Japanese culture".

How to you explain your rediculously defensive replies to my posts, then? Chill out, I'm not out to get you.

quote:
I am an adult and a university student, that is all you need to know.
I am 22, and used to be a University student. [Smile] I probably will be again in a few years, but presently my work keeps me otherwise occupied.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.