FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » For all Muppet fans, the Muppets are making a comeback (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: For all Muppet fans, the Muppets are making a comeback
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
For Muppet fans out there, I'm sure you're excited about the upcoming new Muppet Movie coming out this Thanksgiving, written and starring Jason Segel, also starring Amy Adams, and a massive cast of cameos.

A week from Tuesday, on August 23, there's a new Muppet album being released as well, The Green Album. It's an album of original Muppet songs covered by various modern artists. In particular, I liked Andrew Bird's "Bein' Green," "Rainbow Connection" by Weezer and the lead singer of Paramore, Haley, and "Movin' Right Along" by Alkaline Trio. A lot of the rest are excellent as well.

That link above is to an NPR page where you can preview full versions of all the songs. I think the last Muppet release of any kind was that made for TV version of Wizard of Oz, which was alright, but nothing like the classics. There hasn't been a movie release in a decade and a half. For all those who have been waiting for a big Muppet return, enjoy!

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome!
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

For anyone who did NOT know there was a Muppet Movie coming out, here is the teaser trailer.

And here's the full one.

Obviously there's no way of knowing for sure, but, it looks like they're really capturing the old feel.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh hell yes. The Muppets have been tearing it up on Youtube for a while now, it's about time they made another movie. Jason Segel's the perfect "current" comedian to do it, too - he strikes me as the kind of guy whose favorite movies are all Muppet movies.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been watching some of the original Saturday Night Live stuff, and as someone who grew up with The Muppet's I was pleasantly surprised to find the humor was originally just disturbed as possible. Monster muppets reading The Joys of Sex, Jim Henson was a weird guy.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
The muppets were something I really enjoyed as a kid, but somehow I think if I watched it today I'd probably be really dissapointed.

Still, I'm happy that kids today can see it and hopefully enjoy it just as much as I did.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Kathy Griffin making out with Animal the muppet only increases in comedic value. Proof.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
somehow I think if I watched it today I'd probably be really dissapointed
The first two movies hold up well.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I still watch and enjoy a Muppet Christmas Carol.
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
That is a darn good album! I have listened to it like seven times today, and I am for reals going to buy it when it comes out properly.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

btw...Muppet Movie comes out next week!!
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
IGN's review of The Muppets.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Great review, and SO good to know that the movie is firing on all cylinders. For a newcomer like Segel to take the reins and score a home run on a series that's been in the attic for ten years is a big accomplishment, especially with such a loyal fan base. I'm geeked to see it next week.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Lyr, your comment about Segel saddens me. He has been making movies since before 1998 when he was in SLC Punk.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

In Lyr's defense, I think it could be reasonable to label Segel as a newcomer. Though he was around doing things like Freaks and Geeks earlier on, his career has picked up a lot in the last few years due to his roles in movies like I Love You, Man and Forgetting Sarah Marshall (as well as voice acting in Despicable Me] and the TV show How I Met Your Mother. I think as a "new" celebrity, it's certainly notable he is able to continue a previously established franchise of such notoriety successfully and loyally.

[ November 20, 2011, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: SteveRogers ]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Lyrhawn may have been referring to Segel as a newcomer to the franchise, guys.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Since 'Muppet Christmas Carol' is one of my favourite movies, I'd love to go see the movie this Christmas season. But it doesn't come out in Europe until next year!
Not until February - which seems utterly crazy. Anyone who really wants to see it will have found ways to watch it long before then.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Tarrsk had it. I meant new to the franchise. Frankly I was shocked when I heard that he more or less single handedly resurrected the series and wrote the movie. He's hilarious, and I know he likes muppets, but I'm surprised that Disney, after owning the franchise for a decade with only a direct to TV special as their production, would let him take the reins on something with this fickle a fan base.

Bella -

Muppet Christmas Carol is my favorite Muppet movie. One of my favorites in general.

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the shot of Animal in a tux playing the triangle.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I think the marketing campaign for this movie was pretty genius too.
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

Looks like there might possibly be a new muppet related show coming to a TV near you next year. A family discover that their new neighbours are Muppets.

As long as they're not Jamaican... (sorry).

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I don't have high hopes.

I loved Muppets Tonight, but I don't think it even lasted a season in the 90s.

Bella Bee
Member # 7027

It lasted a couple of years. That's still better than what we've had in the decade since.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Looks like it lasted two half seasons. 22 total episodes. More than Firefly perhaps, but not exactly awe inspiring.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
The two things that we needed to have come back:

- The Muppets
- Beavis and Butthead

I'm happy. Quit complaining, everyone — our complaining years are behind us. Life is good.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

I don't know Samp, Sifl & Ollie and Batman: The Animated Series are still on the shelf. I reserve my non-complaining until I have newly made sock puppet humor and Paul Dini's Batman.
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Sifl & Olly

*Hides his freak flag*

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d90Bpe6nm44&feature=related

i'm fairly certain we knew chester in real life, which is more than a little disturbing

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Chester was just another voice done by Matt Crocco (aka Sifl).

You knew the guy?

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

I mean, there was this kid in my homegroup class in (I think) my freshman year who was pretty much a .. any interaction with him was kind of pretty much like a Chester conversation, like with the fidgety not-all-there nervousness and bizarre gaps in common sense and knowledge, the completely surreal experience of wondering what the hell he's talking about at any given moment and whether it was related to something that really happened, or was only about some sort of hallucinatory delusion, and the on and off days weaving from hypomania to drugged torpor, symbolic of psychotropics and a lifelong struggle with mental disorder. I mean, if I could go back in time and talk with him again and record it you'd think I was doing a dead-on parody skit of A Word With Chester.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

For anyone who doesn't know about Chester this should give you an idea.
Bokonon
Member # 480

Ah. So... Did he have cereal in his pocket to feed them? [Smile]
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
Movie was outstanding. I can't give it higher praise. It was the epitome of a "feel good" movie. Amy Adams really shined.
Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm seeing it tomorrow.

I get the feeling from the previews that Amy Adams is the only possible female lead for this movie. I can't think of anyone else who has her...je ne sais quoi.

AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

If they persist in making more Muppet features I hope they will re-unite Kathy Griffin with The Prawn (does he have a proper name? King Prawn maybe?) the hardest part would be censoring Griffin enough to be in a kids movie.
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

quote:
Originally posted by AchillesHeel:
I hope they will re-unite Kathy Griffin with The Prawn (does he have a proper name? King Prawn maybe?)

You mean Pepé the Prawn? Okay?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Saw the movie earlier tonight, and...

It was DELIGHTFUL. I absolutely loved it. It was hilarious, and it was an emotional roller coaster. I was depressed in parts of the beginning because of how low they played the Muppet breakup, but by the end I was pretty choked up. It was excellent.

I didn't spoil myself on the cameos so most of them came as big, hilarious, surprises. I recommend everyone go see it. I hope this starts a new franchise with Segel at the helm.

Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
We saw it this past weekend and were all smiles and laughs the entire time! I even teared up at the end. If you loved the Muppets back in the day, you will love this movie. Chances are you will enjoy it on a deeper level than those without a Muppet-loving history.

On a related note, back in October I saw Andrew Bird live and he performed "It's Not Easty Being Green" and made mention of the movie. He joked about writing half a dozen songs for the movie folks and the great lyrics he worked into them, and then they went a chose one of him whistling. Let me just tell you, when it got to the part of the movie featuring his song, well, let's just say I had a total fangirl moment, both as a fan of the Muppets and Mr. Bird. The bruise on my husband's arm is proof. Well, okay, I didn't bruise him, but I squeezed pretty hard I was so tickled.

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

To put it shortly, I love this movie. Jason Segel is my hero and they hit every comedic line I would hope to see in a muppets movie.

I would hate to ruin a single minute for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, so just go see it for yourself already.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. I took my kids to see this and they laughed maybe twice. Then I bought "Muppet Treasure Island" and we watched it together, and the movie had to be stopped twice because kids were laughing so hard I thought they might wet themselves. But I don't have a Muppet history, nor do I know a thing about Amy Adams or Jason Segel. (My kids don't, either.) *shrug*

(Side note: after researching this movie some more, I see that there were a lot of celebrity cameos that went right over my head. As in...most of them did. Gotta be honest; if you don't know who the "famous" people are that pop in here and there, there isn't much reward throughout the movie. It's just...Muppets doing stuff. And with only mild funny. Seems like it appeals to people who are current on pop culture.)

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
(Side note: after researching this movie some more, I see that there were a lot of celebrity cameos that went right over my head. As in...most of them did. Gotta be honest; if you don't know who the "famous" people are that pop in here and there, there isn't much reward throughout the movie. It's just...Muppets doing stuff. And with only mild funny. Seems like it appeals to people who are current on pop culture.)

You make a pretty convincing argument. I didn't know who most of the "famous" people were when I watched it and am not very current on pop culture outside of recent movies. You had me going thinking that I didn't like the movie... but then I remembered that I thought it was hilarious even without knowing those cameos. Oh well.
Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

The cameos, by and large, weren't particularly funny, they just were sort of there. I thought James Carville's appearance was so off the wall that I laughed a bit. Jim Parsons was hilarious, but I think that might be more reserved as a joke for lovers of The Big Bang Theory. Dave Grohl's was kind of funny too if you actually caught him.

But really, the funny in that movie was absolutely not in the cameos.

AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

I just read that Jack Black was in the movie, talk about not noticing a cameo. What scene was he in?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

He was in a half dozen scenes. He was introduced with Animal and then "brought back" for the final show where he was in half the scenes with the other Muppets on stage. His was a bit more than just a cameo, he was actually a fairly important plot point.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, oh. You are all in danger of becoming godless commies.

Warning: This link may border on inappropriate for younger or more sensitive viewers.

http://www.screenjunkies.com/video/fox-news-exposes-the-real-great-muppet-caper-braining-washing-your-children/

Right. 'Cuz Disney is an anti-corporation shill. [Roll Eyes]

ETA: Less funny but more SFW link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/05/fox-news-the-muppets-are-communist_n_1129173.html

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It is to laugh.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Or cry. Or throw up. Or slap people. I haven't decided yet.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Whether it was 'Captain Planet' or Nickelodeon's 'Big Green Help,' or 'The Day After Tomorrow,'
All three of those are required viewing in my household. Who can deny the impact those three things have had on the zeitgeist!?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
Or cry. Or throw up. Or slap people. I haven't decided yet.

I'm not familiar with that Miss Piggy quote. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
"Whether it was 'Captain Planet' or Nickelodeon's 'Big Green Help,' or 'The Day After Tomorrow,'
All three of those are required viewing in my household. Who can deny the impact those three things have had on the zeitgeist!?
*facepalm*

The problem with those isn't that they have a message I disagree with, it's that said message is all they are. A show like Captain Planet is terrible and smacks you in the face with a simplistic message. Contrast this to a show like Gargoyles, which had several episodes with "messages" ... gun safety, illiteracy, etc... but which never felt like messages because the episodes were still great and stood on their own.

I haven't seen the Muppet movie, but I have no trouble believing there is an undercurrent of "big businessmen are villains" since that's a common theme in our fiction. But I really, really doubt that it's dominated by that message. In fact, though I've never seen it, I'd happily bet money against that likelihood.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.