FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Attn: Tom Davidson, Porter, and maybe some others (mayfly)

Author Topic: Attn: Tom Davidson, Porter, and maybe some others (mayfly)
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys,

I've been offered a freelance gig for writing for a web development company, in Czr. If you're willing, I'd like to run some details past you, as this is not my field of expertise. I'd like some advice on the type of business, the field in general, rates to expect, and other such stuff. I want to be sure this is a good idea. I can send you specifics by email, but won't post them up here. If you'd like to give ke some friendly pointers and advice, send me an email at my username, on gmail.

Anybody with experience in web development, marketing, and freelance writing can contact me.

Thanks guys.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that an acronym for Czechoslovakia, or a programming language? Anyway, if you take the job, I hope it's lucrative and enjoyable.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
Is that an acronym for Czechoslovakia, or a programming language? Anyway, if you take the job, I hope it's lucrative and enjoyable.

It's the Czech Republic, dude. ;)
Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

CZ as in Czech, and R as in Republic.

It's funny, I did a radio interview in California was I was debuting some new works last week, and the interviewer referred to it as Czechoslovakia, and I tactfully corrected him by referring to it myself as Czech Republic (typically locals drop the definite article for convenience, and because it isn't used when speaking Czech).

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:

Thanks, I am concerned on both counts that it be lucrative and enjoyable. I've been talking a bit to my future brother in law about it (this is exactly the business he is also in, but in management) and he tells me there's money in it.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew the official name was the Czech Republic, but I guess I thought Czecheslovaki was to Czech Republic as America was to United States of America (though there are, depending on how it's meant, problems with that too). Is that not the case? I'm quite ignorant here, of course, able to find the Czr. on a map but little else.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
When Czechoslovakia split into two states after the Cold War ended, Slovakia got the second half of the name in the divorce.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Czechoslovakia used to be a country. It split into Czech Republic and Slovakia in 1993.

edit: beaten to it, and much more wittily

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

The former Czechoslovak republic consists of a number of smaller historical regions, each with differing linguistic and cultural histories that are closely related, including a few which are less related to the others. The regions are conveniently super divided into two major groups, comprising two distinct cultures and languages, which are closely related and mutually intelligible to most speakers. Bohemia, Moravia and part of Silesia tovthe west are predominantly the domain of the Czech people, while the Slovak people live to the east. They formed a common republic in 1920, which was dissolved in 1939 by the nazis, and reformed the second republic in 1989, which dissolved amicably in 1993 over issues of wealth distribution, taxation, and political representation. Any citizen of the 2nd republic could choose his new nationality, and up to today, both languages are co-official in both republics, and citizens have the right to reside and work in either nation without additional documentation.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.