FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Spiders: Catch and Release? Or Quick Death?

Author Topic: Spiders: Catch and Release? Or Quick Death?
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
So, just this evening I was told that it was a "lingering, tormented, painful" death to catch and release an indoor spider into the great outdoors, because they are not acclimatized for the outdoor environment. It would be more humane to just swat 'em.

Alright, Hatrack -- do your stuff. True? False? Fact? Fiction? Let'r rip!

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see how anyone could possibly know that unless they're tagging the spiders with radio transmitters and tracking their movements over the next several weeks.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I found a praying mantis once.

It was the happiest day of my life.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
When we had company over Tiffany wigged out over a smallish spider running along our ceiling. My first thought was, "Hey, don't kill it, try helping it."

It ended up crippled and missing limbs after I "helped" it. I ended up crushing it to put it out of its misery.

I suck at helping.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I scoop or 'dust' them up with my bare hands and blow them out a window. I'm sure there's no way the outside world is 100% fatal torment to them like they're some sort of domesticated indoor chicken.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
During the yearly hobo spider invasion I stop being nice to spiders and kill as many as I can find. I also use spider traps, which have to be one of the least humane ways to kill a spider. But I would do the same to prevent any poisonous spider from roaming free in my house.

Otherwise I figure live and let live. I don't mind seeing the occasional spider of the non-threatening variety. I figure it's doing its part in controlling the insect population. Occasionally I'll trap one and release it outside. I will not under any circumstances voluntarily allow a spider to contact my skin. I have a few dedicated insect jars for that purpose, plus a few pieces of junk mail to cover the opening. Many creepy crawly things have found new homes in my backyard this way.

My mom, when she was visiting recently, caught a hobo spider and actually carried it two blocks and across a busy road to release it in a field. She didn't want to let it go outside where it might invade someone else's house. I thought that was sweet of her. I did tell her just to kill the things.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
I scoop or 'dust' them up with my bare hands and blow them out a window. I'm sure there's no way the outside world is 100% fatal torment to them like they're some sort of domesticated indoor chicken.

Agreed 100%.

Except black widows, which are semi-common around here. Those, I squish.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to go on a jihad and mow them down. Then I made peace with them so long as they weren't on me, or swarming. After all, they killed the bugs that annoyed me even more, so we reached a detente of sorts.

Since I've moved to the prairie lands, those ordinary spiders are now these little tiny jumping spiders that I'm at a loss to deal with. They're often too small and fast for me to kill, so I just let them be.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

I love watching the little jumping spiders. They squick me out the least of all arachnids. They seem more like little bulldogs. I like to follow them with my finger and watch them go on the defensive. You can almost hear them growl.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I told my spiders that they are safe on the porch with the hope that they'd be a good line of defense during flying termite season.

But once they move into the house, I will kill them. My 12-foot ceilings seem to be especially popular with daddy long legs. Harmless or not, I will smash them.

Its a better death than the one waiting for the tree roaches. Apparently, death by boric acid is not pleasant.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm sure there's no way the outside world is 100% fatal torment to them like they're some sort of domesticated indoor chicken.

Or the 100% fatal future of running straight INTO the path of some sort of domesticated indoor chicken.

quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:
Otherwise I figure live and let live. I don't mind seeing the occasional spider of the non-threatening variety. I figure it's doing its part in controlling the insect population.

This is my general reaction to spiders as well, but that's largely because I don't see very many in my house.

quote:
Originally posted by Shanna:
Its a better death than the one waiting for the tree roaches. Apparently, death by boric acid is not pleasant.

If the boric acid doesn't work, try this stuff. Those 5-star reviews, they don't lie.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I see them and leave them alone, really spiders are not the most horrible thing. They are very tiny for the most part and not a threat unless you're an insect. I'm running a Refuge House for Spiders.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I love watching the little jumping spiders. They squick me out the least of all arachnids. They seem more like little bulldogs. I like to follow them with my finger and watch them go on the defensive. You can almost hear them growl.

I love that, too! Although, around here the jumping spiders get quite large (compared to the little desert ones I knew in Arizona). I enjoy taking extreme close-up photos of spiders, and it's quite, um, exhilarating to try that with jumping spiders.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My mom, when she was visiting recently, caught a hobo spider and actually carried it two blocks and across a busy road to release it in a field. She didn't want to let it go outside where it might invade someone else's house. I thought that was sweet of her. I did tell her just to kill the things.

I love taking the word 'spider' out of stories about hobo spiders.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I murder spiders. In fact, I murder all bugs, insects, and small animals that find their way inside my home (luckily, my patience has not been tested by a child). I hate bugs with the burning fires of hell, and I am more than willing to squash or poison them to avoid seeing them.

A good friend is exactly the opposite - she hates spiders, but refuses to let them be killed. It pains me to have to catch and release any spiders I find there (though I will here admit to stomping a couple when I'm outside her range of vision).

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I generally try and "catch and release" anything I find in the house. For spiders and beetles this is usually easy enough. The occasional moth I can also catch after some effort. My natural inclination is to just leave them be, but it freaks my wife out to see one.

But I swat house-flies, because there's no way I am going to catch one without injuring it first. I admit I feel a bit sad when I have to kill one.

On the whole, I just don't like killing animals. I am not religious, and not even spiritual, but on some level my lizard brain seems to believe in a sort of primitive karma where taking lives (even insect ones) is discouraged.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
I care not whether it is more humane. I live by one maxim when it comes to spiders: One swat, One kill.
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

quote:
quote:

I love taking the word 'spider' out of stories about hobo spiders.
LOL

Yeah, I had to gather up his bandana on a stick and the cigar he dropped.

Luckily, we found a passing train to throw him on.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I had a spider to eat all the darn fruitflies.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. That's why I keep mine around. And they're cute. You're way more likely to get killed by people than a spider.

I don't get why people are so scared of them.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I went total jehad on my mom's out building and ended up killing upwards of 200 black widows (if you count the egg sacs which burst open and all the little babies which swarmed out) with a lighter and hair spray. Prolly at least 20 big adults with egg sacks.

When it comes to non poisionus spiders, I'll make a decent effort to catch and release if not busy, but my theory is that if you are inside my house without permission, your life is forfeit. My wife is scared to death of 'em, so I tend to get pulled away from whatever I'm doing by screams and demands of dealing death.

We have a squirt bottle with rubbing alcohol for sterilizing the baby toys and if you put it on stream instead of mist and hit a spider with it two or three time they tend to roll up in a ball and fall down...and get smushed.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

[Frown] Poor spiders. Folks keep smashing and tormenting them. I'm mega fond of them.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, can you get that locally or do you need to order online? When we built our house, we put boric acid in the walls and for almost ten years never saw roaches in the house.

Now, we are seeing them, especially around the pantry where the dog food is stored. I put the dog food in a sealed container, but I'm still seeing them occasionally. And of course, if I see some every now and then, there are many more I can't see!

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
I fear spiders, but live and let live I say. I have some biggies in the garage that are doing a fine job of keeping down the stray elephant population.

Flys on the other hand meet the vicious tea-towel of death. Grrr.

In fact most creepy crawlies get a fair deal in our house, unless they meet with the Littlest Maven, who will smush first and ask questions later.

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
rivka, can you get that locally or do you need to order online?

It's not sold regularly to the public (it's sold to professional exterminators wholesale), but Amazon and some other online places have it. In smaller packs than the 4-pack also, FYI.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Swat.

Especially the brown recluses.

(Although, I've occasionally trapped them and shipped them to the biology teacher at work. If anyone wants one, I can arrange to hunt one down this weekend. They are endemic around here and this building is infested with them.)

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
That makes me shudder, Tstorm. *brr* No recluses, thank you.

Although the whole thread was good for a sigh of relief and some chuckles.

I still want to know how this lady came to believe that catch and release is worse than swatting and quick death . . . on the other hand, if it's not a daddy longlegs, I don't let it live in my house. And that goes for bees, flies, and other creepy crawlies.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Probably because some spiders actually are house spiders, so you're putting them outside of their environment.
http://spiderbabble.com/toons/15 This is cute.
Most spiders that look like brown recluses in fact are not.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.