FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 3D movie industry implosion

Author Topic: 3D movie industry implosion
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Linka de link link link.

In short, studios have been paying for 3D glasses until now and in May they will stop. The cost of the glasses will be the consumers responsibility and the choice between 3D and 2D versions will be much much easier.

I know there has been some grumbling about 3D around here, and I for one look forward to the end of less than Avatar 3D movies.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Er... what? The last two times I went to the cinema for a 3D movie I had to buy the 3D glasses.
They cost, respectively, first time: 1 euro and second time: £1. The only reason I had to buy another pair was because I was in a different country from my first pair of glasses.

You know that once you buy them, you get to take them home and just bring them back to the theatre with you when you go, right?

I don't think paying a one off charge of, lets face it, at this rate it's going to be $1, will really put anyone off.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Shouldn't the price of the movie drop by a dollar then?

Oh right, that would mean passing the savings on to the customer. Mhm.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I've only been to one 3D movie, and the glasses were included.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always had to pay an extra dollar or so for the 3D option.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but that's because the movies are more expensive to make, you aren't paying directly for the glasses. This just means that the price won't change at all, you'll have to buy a pair of glasses for keeps, and the studios just saved a boatload of cash.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
The implosion of the 3d industry will be dictated by the quality of the output, not having to buy the glasses for an extra buck.

So, as long as you keep seeing post-conversion cash-ins and bandwagon schlock, you'll get your implosion!

Otherwise than that, it can easily keep going.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still holding out for the "My Dinner with Andre" 3d remaster.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Hah. I was just watching a few scenes from "My Dinner with Andre" on youtube last night. I really think that 3D would bring out how much electric blankets take away our humanity.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
The only movie I saw in 3D was Avatar. Every other movie I've wanted to see I just couldn't bring myself to fork over the extra $3-$5. Movies in Vegas are more expensive than most other places, and that 3d fee turns that $12 movie into a $17 movie. There is no option to purchase the glasses or not either. Whether you need the glasses or not, you still pay the fee.

I will say though that if Avatar 2 is released and it is in 3d, I will happily pay the extra fee. Avatar may not have had the best plot, but the experience was worth every penny.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.