FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What to do with old computers?

Author Topic: What to do with old computers?
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Long story short, I recently came into possession of a large quantity of old office equipment. I'd say most of it is around 10 years old. This includes three desktops, three laptops, a copy machine, and various other smaller things (external floppy drives, label makers, etc). Does anyone know of any way I could make some money off of the old parts? If not, is it best just to toss them at the dump or is that not a good idea?
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Recycle them. Do the copier and label makers work?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Re-use them, otherwise dump them unless you can make sure that the recycler is properly certified. Apparently, there are still hundreds of fake recyclers in the States. http://www.emtworldwide.com/article/45165/Toxic-e-waste-dumping-exposed.aspx
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I think the label makers do, but if I had to guess I'd say the copier needs some repairs.

So there's not likely to be anyone who will say "Sweet! Cheap old computer parts that I can make a robotic girlfriend out of!" or anything like that?

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
10 years ... so I'm guessing that would be like 1GHz Athlons or the equivalent.

It's possible that you'll find the occasional place that would reassemble them for the needy or for training purposes, but I doubt you'll be able to sell them for anything significant. Maybe Blayne could use them for home heating.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Office Max will assess laptops and give you a credit toward the purchase of a new computer. If the laptops have no value, they will recycle them for free.

Dell Reconnect takes any old computer equipment, including printers, but it depends on if they have a site in your area. They have a partnership with Goodwill.

You might find a small computer shop that refurbishes computers that might pay you something. I got $75 for an old Dell last year - it was at least 5 years old and virus-ridden (my Mom had used it). They were going to reformat it and resell it. I used the money toward a computer they had already refurbished, which is what I'm using right now.

As far as the dump goes, in my neck of the woods, there's a fee for dumping appliances and electronics. There are people who will take them off your hands, and they turn around and strip the copper out and so on, but they will still charge for picking up.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
A year or two ago I checked out one of those programs that will give you a little money towards a new purchase if you trade in an old computer. It said my wife's old HP Pavilion (with a Celeron 1.6 GHz and 256 MB RAM) had no value. I ended up selling it on eBay for $135.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.