FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help with GRE Scores

Author Topic: Help with GRE Scores
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
So, I'm about to start applying for my second Master's program. I just took the GRE, but I'm having a difficult time interpreting my score. I'm shooting for a top-tier school, but I'm not really sure if I'm a contender.

First, they're changing the scoring system. I'm one of the very first people to use the "revised" GRE. So I don't have an actual score until November -- I have an "equivalent score" until the new system is in place.

Second, my projected score is between 690 and 750 analytical and between 650 and 710 quantitative. Taking the median would give me a 720 analytical and 680 quantitative, or a cumulative 1400. This is pretty much in-line with the scores I received in the GMAT (top percentile in verbal, about the 66th percentile in quant).

At first glance it would seem that a 1400 is good enough for about any school I'd like to attend. On second glance, however, it seems that admissions (at least on average) have a much higher quant score than analytical. I understand that score values for the quant section trended higher anyway (explaining part of the disparity).

Am I a competitive candidate for top-tier schools (looking at Columbia now)? Or would I be better off saving my money on application fees? I'm not really sure if a high analytical can offset a middling quant score.

Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of this depends on the field you're going into. Pardon me, I'm afraid I don't recall your particular venture, what is your degree in?

I was in engineering in which you were expected to get very high in the math section (720+, 800 is really only considered pretty good) but the verbal (yes, I never moved pass SAT descriptors) was less important and anything over around 510 was considered decent. In other fields, that expectation is reversed. Very dependent.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
What scores you need are extremely dependent on program area. If your program isn't a quantitative program, the quantitative score is basically irrelevant to them (unless they have some sort of total score requirement). If your program is a strongly quantitative program, you don't have a 780 to 800, which makes you a very low chance candidate (top programs in highly quantitative fields usually have everyone getting in that range, not because they use it as a cutoff, but because it correlates very strongly with their overall admission criteria).

What graduate programs are you applying for? What's your first Masters in? Why do you feel you need a second?

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
Re: your questions, I have a generic Bachelor of Science that my online college called an "Individualized Studies" degree. To try to balance this and my current career, I am finishing off an MBA from a strong local university (University of Utah). I consider this a fairly generic education, and I'd like to specialize a little. Most people are able to do this with their bachelor's degree, but the most efficient way (that I can reason) for me would be a second master's. Plus my company re-imburses.

I'm looking at online programs in communications (technical focus), information systems, engineering management, organizational behavior, and logistics / supply chain. And I'd like a good school to carry the "brand name" appeal. Right now I'm leaning toward Columbia (outside shot due to breadth requirements), Northwestern, Penn State, and Texas Tech.

[ October 04, 2011, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Aros ]

Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt the sorts of programs you're interested in will have any problem with those scores. Your record in your current graduate program will be much more important.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.