FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So I read my first 'Great' book

Author Topic: So I read my first 'Great' book
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Late last week I had a discussion on whether or not video games could ever become 'Great', leading us to define 'Great' as: A piece of art or literature that can profoundly change your worldview.

Now today was our Social Sciences' last day on the book in a different voice by Carol Gilligan. I have never thought harder about a book, ever. I'm still thinking about it. Never before has a book changed the way I viewed the world.

Will probably have more coherent things to say tomorrow, brain is fried due to lack of sleep.

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
Les Miserables met this criterion for me.
Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by T:man:
Late last week I had a discussion on whether or not video games could ever become 'Great', leading us to define 'Great' as: A piece of art or literature that can profoundly change your worldview.

If that's the definition of 'great,' then even very small games like Braid have already done this.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Profundity just ain't what it used to be.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
I've mentioned this before but Albert Camus' The Stranger had quite the impact on my mental balance, almost as if it created a place for my catharsis and dry apathy. Meursault was an avatar for my unwillingness to join the world in a proactive manner and the unhappy story that played out helped me in resolving that a bit.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
Originally posted by T:man:

If that's the definition of 'great,' then even very small games like Braid have already done this.
I personally have never played a game that has profoundly changed my worldview.

*continuing to deprive myself of sleep~*

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
"Germinal" by Zola did that to me back in middle school.

I'm sure other things have too, I just can't think of any of them right now.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
Dalton Trumbo's Johnny Got His Gun did this for me in 7th grade.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The first game I can recall playing that really gave me a different perspective was Suspended, by Infocom.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
I know it's trite to say this, but Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead really did change my life when I first read them.

Les Miserables strongly resonated with me, but it didn't change my worldview so much as affirm it.

Heck, Calvin and Hobbes had as much an impact on me as almost any piece of literature.

Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
The books The Autobiography of Malcolm X, As Told to Alex Hailey and I Am Legendby Richard Matheson both did this for me.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
The only video game that truly met that criteria for me is Xenogears.

The main character had killed billions of people, and the villain didn't have bad intentions. In fact, at the end the villain realized that he had gone about it all wrong and says "Now I go to meet God unprepared."

The religious overtones got to me, as did the philosophy in the game. Xenosaga also had quite a bit of philosophy, but Xenogears contained the best writing of any Squaresoft game. It was Takahashi's best work. A little known fact, Xenogears' was originally an early concept for FFVII.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how I'd prepare to meet God.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

God in Xenogears wasn't a deity, it was more of an existence from another dimension. It was sucked here and trapped in our dimension. It was made of pure energy and was extremely powerful. It was a pretty interesting take on God and religion.
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

quote:

Bake a cake?
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but if God wants pie instead...well, showing up with cake is going to be problematic.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Be different, be special, show up with an order of the best pickle-chips this side of St. Louis.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

See you in hell, AchillesHeel.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

You obviously have never had pickle-chips, if I'm correct you are already in hell.
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
By the standard put forth for a great book, I've never read one. I've read a lot of books that have changed my views about particular things, but never has a change been fundamental. I'd go so far as to say that not only am I essentially the same person I was when I was 5, the way I perceive the world has remained static.

Maybe I'm just deprived. Then again, maybe it's the right way to view the world. Just sayin'.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The first game I can recall playing that really gave me a different perspective was Suspended, by Infocom.

I see what you did there.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly I don't think a game has fundamentally changed me - I'd consider Braid, the Void, Marathon and a few others to be fairly deep but not life changing.

There's a game called Home, which plays sort of like the Sims, except you are an elderly person, moving is sluggish, and the game is rigged so that it is not possible to continuously replenish your sleep-energy, bladder, social exercise and food. One by one, you fail to accomplish your basic needs, and they are replaced by diapers, drugs, IV feed and catheter.

The game ends when you are trapped in bed. (You don't die)

It wasn't life changing exactly, but my grandmother was dying at the time and it drove home a lot of powerful and terrifying understandings.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.