FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Risk = Hazard + Outrage

Author Topic: Risk = Hazard + Outrage
stilesbn
Member # 11809

- posted      Profile for stilesbn   Email stilesbn         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this article on Freakonomics was interesting and telling of our political climate (no pun intended) on both sides.

It seems we try to fight outrage with outrage which ends up just polarizing both sides. I think this reasoning applies to much more than just climate change.

I really like the 7 steps he brings up at the end.

Posts: 362 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having trouble understanding his formulation. What does Risk actually mean?

It seems like he's saying that living next door to a Muslim man that you falsely suspect of planing an terrorist attack is the same risk as living next to a terrorist you have no suspicion of.

The example he gives with this, with the meatloaf chemical, doesn't really seem to make sense to me and I think he's mistaking refuting the facts of someone's narrative versus changing that narrative.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.