FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » First Edition of Ender's Game

Author Topic: First Edition of Ender's Game
Fubeca
Member # 12662

- posted      Profile for Fubeca           Edit/Delete Post 
Soooooo, I have a friend who knows that i am a big "Ender's Game" fan and he (actual his cousin) has a first edition of Ender's Game he is willing to sell at a pretty good price but I only am interested if it is a first edition first run. Anyone know how to tell if it is or not????
[Hat]

Posts: 5 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Give me your friend's cousin's info, and I'll "look in to it" for you [Wink]
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
You would think the copyright information on the inside cover would nail it.

But I'm not sure how that works for more recent trade presses. The easiest way might just be to go online and search Ender's Game first edition to find an online retailer that sells it, then look at the cover and see what it looks like.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
You would think the copyright information on the inside cover would nail it.

Not by itself. I have a (completely different book) that might look like a first edition from the copyright info alone . . . unless you continued down the page and saw that it was a 30th printing. You can tell that because near the bottom of the page it says

40 39 38 37 36 35 34 33 32 31 30

I believe that at the time EG was first published, that system was already in place. It was by the time my edition -- a 13th printing of the Tor MMP -- was printed a few years later.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Good point. I thought the information was on that page somewhere, but I've never known how to parse it.

Edit to add: Thanks for posting that. Now you have me looking at all my old books to see what printing they are or if they're even first editions. [Smile]

[ December 02, 2011, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious, does anyone else have an edition old enough to still have Ender calling Alai a n*****?
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
I do.
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, in paperback. In fact, I was going to suggest the OP check for that, but I'm not sure if it's limited to the first edition.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Definitely not. My 13th MMP printing has it, and so does the 1992 printing -- on page 45.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I had no idea about that original scene. I appreciated the point it made, but I can understand why OSC removed it.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Even my SFBC edition of Ender's War has it.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Given that could be from as early as 1986, that's not so surprising.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Foust:
Just curious, does anyone else have an edition old enough to still have Ender calling Alai a n*****?

Yep.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
Many first edition books will actually have "First Edition" printed near the publication date. Not sure if Ender's Game had this though.
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fubeca
Member # 12662

- posted      Profile for Fubeca           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all I'm gonna check the inside...I', pretty sure that it says First Edition but not sure about the numbering system mentioned above I will get a chance to look at it in a few days and see what it says!
Posts: 5 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
I had an original copy of the August 1977 issue of Analog, which contained the original short story Ender's Game, and I got OSC to sign it.

Sadly, it met an untimely demise, and is still a very sore subject for me. Thanks for bringing it up LOL

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gameender
Member # 12951

- posted      Profile for gameender           Edit/Delete Post 
FYI- There's two copies of August 1977 Analog for sale on ebay right now. Here's the cheaper one for $50:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Enders-Game-Orson-Scott-Card-1st-appearance-August-1977-Analog-Science-Fiction-/160973024594?pt=Magazines&hash=item257abd6d52

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thesifer
Member # 12890

- posted      Profile for Thesifer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Geraine:
Many first edition books will actually have "First Edition" printed near the publication date. Not sure if Ender's Game had this though.

Many First Editions DO have this, but it's virtually meaningless as it's a different meaning that non-collectors thing. "First Edition" is 'accurate' but True Collectors want a First Edition - First Printing

You can have a First Edition that's on a later printing.

You have to check the printing line as stated earlier.

10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

If that's there, it's a first edition / first printing.

Posts: 164 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I have one that OSC signed for me at a signing at BYU, but that was in 95.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.