FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Holiday Loot thread

Author Topic: The Holiday Loot thread
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I figure people will be opening presents soon...so share the loot! What did you get? Who proved they really knew you by getting you that perfect gift? What did you get that made you scratch your head? What awesome, truly cool thing did you get that will make other hatrackers jealous?

Tonight while exchanging gifts with friends, I recived a new set of mixing bowls, spatulas, measuring cups, etc. And everything was pink! Great gift for a hobby baker like myself.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
My niece had asked me what I wanted, and after she said she couldn't find the original request, I suggested Amazon credit. She got me Amazon MP3 credit, which I don't think I can use for books and videos. But, since my younger daughter had asked me to give her money for MP3s for the new MP3 player she got for her birthday, it will still be useful.

We (me, my sister, two nieces, one nephew and one niece's boyfriend) pooled our resources to get my mom a Kindle Fire. I had been wanting to get her a Kindle for months, but when I took her to Office Max to play with and see what they are like, she liked the Fire the best. So we planned to get that but I told her we were getting her the lowest-cost one. She was pleasantly surprised.

My oldest niece already had chosen her ring, but on Christmas Eve the question was asked, so she got her wish.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I got an iphone though that was planned. We are getting rid of the landline and just using cell phones which since I didn't have a cellphone at all should be interesting. My daughter got a cozy coup and she loves it. The older daughter got lite sprites and also loves it though she thinks they should have gotten two cozy coupes- one for each.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaysedai6
Member # 8856

- posted      Profile for jaysedai6   Email jaysedai6         Edit/Delete Post 
Love the Kindle Fire, however, I have to retrain my right hand, after using my right for over 68 years to turn a page, the hand automatic goes to the right side top.
Posts: 28 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
KitchenAid Artisan Stand Mixer for Chanukah.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
KitchenAid Artisan Stand Mixer for Chanukah.

I got one of those for Christmas a few years ago. I hope you love it as much as I love mine!
Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and my big gift was a laptop from my boss.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
Baby clothes. Baby toys. Stroller. Cash. Gift cards. Work clothes. Peanuts.
Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother surprised me with a food processor! I've been using my blender for the last few months and my hummus always comes out really lumpy. She had wanted to get me something nice for Christmas and so, between the food processor and new bedding, I asked for bedding. I've gotten sick of the hodge-podge of quilts and blankets on my bed. I'd picked out some bedding online but when it arrived, we discovered the colors were really wrong. It sucked cause I'd been really excited. So I figured I'd get a few gifts from my brothers and then go back to my bedding hunt after the holidays.

But then they hauled this big box into my lap. It was a HUGE surprise. The year has been so tough for me because of my medical bills and I never have any money to save for nice purchases like this.

I haven't actually gotten to play with it yet because I unwrapped it at my parents house in Houston and there was no way it was fitting in my luggage for the flight home. So hopefully, I'll get it soon and have a chance to play with all the fun slicing and blending features.

My brothers and dad surprised me with some great dvds. Usually, they tend to resist indulging my geeky tastes but not this year. I got Walking Dead Season 1, Community Season 1, and Rise of the Planet of the Apes. My mom had also tried to track down a TARDIS mug (to indulge my love of tea and Doctor Who) but everywhere she looked they were already sold out. But its so sweet that she looked!

Of course, the best gift came from my boss who gave me Dec 23-25th off. Completely unheard of in retail! I literally flew out and flew back but it was so worth it despite dealing with all the stress of packing and body scanners (I always get pulled out by airport security.) And one of my good friends even stopped by twice a day to take care of my parrot, which is quite the feat.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Socks! Sounds awful but where I live is cold and there's no central heating. So thick socks were actually a very thoughtful gift.

And the Discworld calendar, which will keep me smiling all year long.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
I received something that I've been wanting for about 5 years... A Jack Lallane Juicer. Now I hopefully won't get suckered into watching those infomercials late at night and wishing I had one.

I also got a portable jump starter for my car....Which was kind of funny because it was meant for my 1997 Kia Sephia which finally gave up the ghost last Monday. My wife and I have a buddy that is a car dealer and we lucked out on a very nice used car. It is a 2008 Hyundai Tucson with only 20,000 miles on it, and we got it for $13,000. (My friend goes to the auctions, we tell him the max we want to pay, and he just charges $500 for his service no matter how much the vehicle costs.)

The best Christmas present though? I got a promotion with a pretty big pay increase, and it is my dream job. Now instead of being tied to a desk taking calls about payroll, I'll be driving around to our clients as a Human Resources advisor. They gave me a new laptop and iphone to use, and I get paid mileage too! YAY!

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
A 42" TV (we're finally in the 21st century!)

A trampoline.

Oh, and a deep fryer--although this wasn't technically a present. I went out and bought it ostensibly to cook Christmas dinner properly, but I've wanted one for years.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Geraine:
The best Christmas present though? I got a promotion with a pretty big pay increase, and it is my dream job. Now instead of being tied to a desk taking calls about payroll, I'll be driving around to our clients as a Human Resources advisor. They gave me a new laptop and iphone to use, and I get paid mileage too! YAY!

Wow, Geraine, that's fantastic! Congratulations!
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the Amazon credit - it applied to my Amazon account, not just for MP3s. So I used part of it for the Doctor Who Christmas special. Yay!
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I got a fifteen dollar gift card for Subway.

Aside from that any gifts I received made me wonder if any of my family had ever actually met me, or actually looked at me and tried to figure out what size of clothes I wear. I tell them to not worry about getting me anything, and they insist on giving me effeminately patterned pajama pants and puffy jackets from walmart and I quote "its fancy, so you can wear that when you go somewhere nice."

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a plane ticket to visit my relatives out here in Oakland.

I also got a second semester of college. Best Christmas ever > [Big Grin]

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.