FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Netflix Streaming Recommendations (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Netflix Streaming Recommendations
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I wish they would add the animated show Dougto Netflix.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Doug isn't as good as I remember it, judging from episodes available on youtube.

I posted this on Facebook already, but thought I'd share here: Harold and Maude begat Rushmore and Rushmore begat Submarine.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
I retract my statement about Redwall. 10 year old me misled present me.

I'm really jealous of kids who watched Avatar: The Last Airbender when they were 10. Their nostalgia is going to be so awesome.
Likewise! I had never been jealous of my peers with access to cable television as a kid, but I retroactively became so when I streamed Avatar: The Last Airbender through Netflix. I can't believe I never got to appreciate the show as a kid; instead, I have to settle for appreciating it as an artist and a nerd.

The guys who grew up with A:TLA must be thinking of Korra as the Second Coming.

Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
quote:
I retract my statement about Redwall. 10 year old me misled present me.

I'm really jealous of kids who watched Avatar: The Last Airbender when they were 10. Their nostalgia is going to be so awesome.
I had Gargoyles when I was 10 years old. Sometimes when I'm house-sitting for my friend who has a million channels, I'll see is showing at 1am. Still an awesome show fifteen years later.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Gargoyles was a surprisingly sophisticated show.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I should look up WildC.A.T.s and see if it holds up.

Wildcats Wildcats
Wildcats Wildcats
Wildcats We're Good Against Evil

Wildcats Wildcats
Wildcats Wildcats
Wildcats We Got Invincible Powers

Wildcats Wildcats
Wildcats Wildcats
Yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

The One And Only Wildcats

We're Heroes Not Zeros
We got what they Fearo
Here's The Facts
So We Got Power To The Max
You Know We're Tough As Nails
When All Else Fails Call

Wildcats Wildcats
Wildcats Wildcats
Wildcats Better Watch Out

Yeah

Wildcats Wildcats
Wildcats Wildcats
Wildcats We're Good Against Evil

Wildcats Wildcats
Wildcats Wildcats
Wildcats We Got Invincible Powers

Wildcats Wildcats
Wildcats Wildcats
Yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

The One And Only Wildcats

Not kidding.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
Some new stuff I noticed on Netflix today:

Jumanji
Drive
Lots of Marvel cartoon movies
Ghostbusters
The Thirteenth Floor

I'm sure they've added others since I checked last, but these stood out the most. I'm getting ready to watch the 13th Floor right now. Might check out Drive later.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Drive is BAD...in that it is almost great, but the choices they make make you want to pull out your hair...and the horrible music and typeface...just god awful.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

The typeface? Of the poster?
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

The credits... Pink cursive.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at that title shot... this was my honest reaction.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

What does the typeface have to do with the actual movie?
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Nothing beyond the credits hurt your eyes and let you know that those who have creative control make poor choices from the get go.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

In your opinion. Doesn't hurt my eyes any, and it seems pretty obvious it's a visual homage to other films.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Go for it Steve...maybe you will appreciate the movie more than I.
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

From what I've read, Drive is a critical success. I'm surprised you didn't find it good. I hope the same doesn't hold true for myself.
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I really enjoyed 75% of it, and hated 25% with a passion that burns.

So, yea, it sux.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Since your primary complaint is about the typeface used in the credits (but most famously on the poster), I'm having a hard time believeing you even watched the movie.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

That isn't my primary complaint, and you can feel free to believe anything you like.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

The only things you mentioned above were the typeface and music; otherwise, you said it was 75% enjoyable. Based on what you said and without knowing what "choices. . . make you want to pull out your hair", I can only draw the conclusion the music and typeface constitute the 25% which "sux."

You haven't made a very compelling argument for what about the actual movie "sux" other than elements which are entirely subjective (and likely intentional choices made by the filmmaker) and don't even require one to see the movie.

It'd be comparable to saying you thought Star Wars sucked because you didn't like the blaster/laser special effects. It's something you could see in the previews which doesn't have any real effect on the quality of the movie overall.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I was attempting to avoid spoilers, but I can go into to detail if you would like.

Non detail version is: The end of the movie is painfully bad. The characters choices are illogical and difficult to stomach, and the director chooses to show them in a deliberately annoying way.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

That's much easier to digest as a critique for the movie. I was just having a hard time approaching, what has been an otherwise acclaimed film, with any resolve based on complaints about font and music. That clears it up nicely.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Sorry for not communicating clearly earlier.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Oh, and they managed to make Christiana Hendricks look completely unattractive. Another reason to dislike the movie.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

That's certainly a very valid complaint in my opinion.
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby's World was all the rage back in the day, but I never understood the appeal. Then I watched an episode later and found that there was a lot of hidden adult humor in there that kids just wouldn't get.
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
Non detail version is: The end of the movie is painfully bad. The characters choices are illogical and difficult to stomach, and the director chooses to show them in a deliberately annoying way.

Are you familiar with the fable of The Scorpion and the Frog?
Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Because it is their nature?
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Hunt for Red October holds up so well...definitely deserves to be top 50 movies of all time.
Itsame
Member # 9712

No.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

You think it's top 5 material then Jon?
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
How is Breaking Bad not on this list already? Hands down, one of the best shows ever on TV. There are 4 seasons so far, but only seasons 1-3 are on Netflix at the moment. The 5th and final season starts this July, though I hear they are going to delay the second half of the final season until next year.

The acting is amazing, the story is amazing, the cinematography is unique and creative...there are no bad episodes.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I guess Breaking Bad is on the old thread. But if you haven't read that one, then now you know to check it out!
Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Foyle's War is now on instant streaming! If you're not familiar with it - it's a BBC series crime/mystery drama set in WWII England. It's fantastic!
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

As long as you don't mind extremely dirty humor tossed in with your extremely witty humor, the British sitcom Peep Show is fantastic. It's like Arrested Development in that it builds on itself and gets better and better.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I'm watching Rescue Me...I enjoy the show, but hesitate to recommend it, as it is DIRTY. For a show on network tv, it doesn't pull it's punches.
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Marlozhan:
How is Breaking Bad not on this list already? Hands down, one of the best shows ever on TV. There are 4 seasons so far, but only seasons 1-3 are on Netflix at the moment. The 5th and final season starts this July, though I hear they are going to delay the second half of the final season until next year.

The acting is amazing, the story is amazing, the cinematography is unique and creative...there are no bad episodes.

As long as you're fond of irredeemably despicable characters, anyway.

Because there isn't any other kind, on that show.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

What about the brother? He's not such a bad guy.
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
The cop?

Forewarning, I wasn't able to even finish the first season.

From what I remember of him, he was a relatively minor character, and kind of a blustery meathead, but yeah, he seemed to be decent.

Man, I think it's a horrible sign when the best example of a not-despicable character on a show is the guy who, on any other show, would be an obnoxious jerky side character who annoyed you 50% of the time he was on screen.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

He gets better.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

quote:
He gets better.

+1
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Thor is on netflix now.

Maybe other Avenger films too.

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

Speaking of Breaking Bad, I think the characters are all flawed, realistic, and human, much more so than some of the other shows you see out there. A lot of heroes are really stereotypical in most stories, but every character in Breaking Bad has both good and bad sides to them, just like real people. You can at least understand their reasoning, even if you don't agree with it. Even Hank has his flaws (he's unappreciative of his wife, so much so that she feels neglected). Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't recommend this to my parents or anyone that's easily offended, but the acting and dialogue on this show is some of the best I've ever seen.

Right up there with Game of Thrones, imho.

Jeff C.
Member # 12496

quote:
Originally posted by T:man:
Thor is on netflix now.

Maybe other Avenger films too.

I think I saw Iron Man 2 up, but I don't know about the others. The cartoon movies are all up, too.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
I've watched almost all four seasons Eureka, when marathoning the show the formula starts to wear thin but the cast has an evident humor to their work, it helps to keep me watching.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

What's Eating Gilbert Grape is streaming.

It is easily the first dramatic movie that I can remember being touched by, it is so strange to watch it now and see Leo in that role.

Jeff C.
Member # 12496

What's that one about?

Anyway, lately I've been rewatching How I Met Your Mother and various other shows on Netflix. It's a good time, but I wish they'd add the newest season.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

What's Eating Gilbert Grape = classic.

It's a movie about a young man (Johny Depp, before he was only freak bad movies) feeling trapped in a small town, finding love, dealing with his mentally retarded younger brother (Leonardo diCaprio) and other family woes.

Great cast, great acting, great...movie.

AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Neverland was better than I thought it would be, it was extremely grown-up story-telling in a world crafted for children. To go any darker than they did would have been a true deviation of the original content in my opinion, and they hit that sweet spot far more accurately than I could have thought possible. Plus Bob Haskins is immortal apparently.

And Special which I don't how to endorse despite my fervent appreciation of the flick. I found it more heartwarming than the trailer would make you believe.

Edit to add.
Boy Wonder really surprised me, I love the pacing and the fight scenes are very honest. The ending is something special.

[ July 17, 2012, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: AchillesHeel ]

Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
The Red Balloon.

I remember watching this masterpiece of a short film in school, and was shocked to see it pop up on my screen. Even more beautiful than I remember.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.