FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Happy New Year Hatrack! (now with resolutions)

Author Topic: Happy New Year Hatrack! (now with resolutions)
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope it's a great one for everyone!

[ January 02, 2012, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
this seems the most appropriate place for this:
[Party]

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's wishing everyone health, wealth, and happiness for 2012!!

My family is planning on running a 5K together...the hubby, me, and all three kids that remain at home. That's our family goal for the year. (I shy away from the word "resolution".)

In addition, I am going to take a class to become certified as an online facilitator for high school students who are completing diploma requirements. I hope that eventually it opens up a way to make some extra money, and perhaps one day work part time from home. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy New Year everybody. [Smile]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

I'm not big on resolutions in general either, but I have decided that I want to actively be better at remembering the names of people I meet. I'm really awful. I've forgotten a name by the time the person is done telling it to me. I don't know why I don't/can't pay attention to names, but I'd really like to not have to awkwardly keep asking (as I tend to not remember the name even on the second or third time being told) or go on pretending I know it when I've forgotten.

[ January 02, 2012, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to write an article titled "how to spot a resolution that will never last" and it's pretty involved.

Well, it doesn't have to be. I could fill it up with halfhearted fluff and 'common wisdom,' but I'm waiting on opinions by actual psychologists as to why we make promises about self improvement the way that we do, and in what ways we sabotage ourselves.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Samp, I just read this earlier today: http://rationallyspeaking.blogspot.com/2012/01/why-new-years-resolutions-have-no-teeth.html
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I've organized my New Years Resolutions around small, easily achievable goals with fixed dates that serve as boosters.

For example, one of my goals is to lose 5lbs. A nice, realistic weight loss goal that shouldn't take a great deal of extra effort. As a part of this goal, I'm going to return to exercising with a moderate amount of weekly exercise, and a slight reduction in my daily caloric intake. I'd like to lose it by my brother's wedding, which is in 5 weeks.

One of my major calorie reducers will be to drastically cut back on my pop intake, which will be buoyed by the start of Lent in late February, where I'll give up pop entirely for the length of Lent. That gets me to early April.

I'd then like to put on 5 lbs of muscle before I go on vacation, which is tentatively planned for mid-May. And if I miss that target, I have a secondary and more important target when I go to Lake Michigan in July.

It's helped by the fact that I used to exercise regularly, which I stopped doing when I moved and now need to return to.

My other goal is to get off my lazy ass and go on some dates. I'm not getting any younger.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not doing resolutions, per se, but more along the lines of 43things. Last year my resolution was to quit playing Zynga games, which was quite successful. I haven't quite replaced the time with more useful activities (more like switched from Zynga to another game, but I'm working on that).
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I quit all Zynga games last year too, Cay Sedai. I now spend the majority of my time on games on the XBox because I can play those with my family. I play MW3 with my husband, and the kids and I have a blast with the Kinect games like Sports and Dance Central.

We are more focused on specific goals this year. Maybe it's just a resolution by another name, but I still think that how you think about it is important. My 14 year old daughter has started running to improve her volleyball game and she loves it. She has inspired me to get off my duff and do something too. That, plus a revelation that cardiovascular fitness is the best thing I can do for my health overall. That seems obvious, but I've spent years focusing on "I need to lose weight" when I should have been focused on "I need to exercise and be healthy."

So I've not made a single weight-loss centered goal at all. Instead I've made it a goal to exercise 30 minutes a day 5 days a week and run a 5K in April. I figure the weight can take care of itself. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I want to lose 10 lbs in the next month. I put on a bit of weight after my MA program started and it'd be nice to drop it. I'll do so by going to the gym every day for an hour again.

Resume taking ritalin. I quit taking it when I was a Freshman but I think I need it. So I guess I'll do so.

Do all the reading for classes.

Finish another semester's worth of Greek by the summer.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Ambitious set of resolutions, half of which I will probably succeed at. I'll be breaking these down further with my self-improvement group into more achievable short-term goals:

1. Figure out what ideal internet habits are, get a friend to help me to stick them (probably exchanging similar help on a similar goal) and then have said friend hold me to them for at least 3 months.

2. Have a serious relationship.

3. Make friends and hang out frequently with artists who are better than me along axis that I care about.

4. Figure out what an ideal (for now) employment situation is and then achieve it.

5. Eat more vegetables.

6. Put an particular amount of away money for retirement and have money left over for philanthropic purposes.

7. Figure out what the optimal philanthropic organization is given my values. (This is a huge problem that will take longer than a year, but I'd settle for "have explored the broad categories of organizations I might care about and have at least picked the most obvious one in the category that seems most relevant)

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, because I was disappointed with my half-hearted, spontaneous solo attempt this year, my goal for next New Years Day:

Get a few people together in Central Park and sing "Seasons of Love," and see how many people we can get to join us.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wendyparker
Member # 12728

- posted      Profile for wendyparker   Email wendyparker         Edit/Delete Post 
(Post removed by Janitor Blade. Play it again Spam)

[ January 06, 2012, 07:08 AM: Message edited by: JanitorBlade ]

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

whistled!
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Wendy, that was a super helpful and informative first post. I look forward to seeing more!

Strider, why would you whistle this poor, innocent girl? Have you no shame, sir?

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

She referenced a "recent poll" but didn't cite it. That kind of stuff doesn't fly here! There are rules man, this isn't Nam.
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
There are rules in Vietnam! Don't be racist.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
THe Vietnamese! The Vietnamese!
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.