FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New Camcorder

Author Topic: New Camcorder
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone have any recent experience in purchasing a new handheld video camcorder?

Our purpose is to shoot family videos, with the ability to make small movie files and/or dvds.

Does this bundle seem worthwhile?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasonic+HDC-TM80K+16GB+HD+Flash+Memory+Camcorder%2C+Bag%2C+Tripod+and+Memory+Card/9999173500050006.p?id=pcmprd173200050006&skuId=9999173500050006&chil dSku=2009315&count=1#productdetail

I guess we are in the $300 to $500 range.
Thanks for any help!

Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Rival, my Dad found that, in fact, a good mid-to-high-range digital camera (not an SLR) with video capabilities and a stock of 16GB and 32GB cards was actually better in terms of HD picture quality and sound quality than the "camcorders" out there, at least the ones he was willing to purchase. It has the added bonus of also taking photos! He can even take photos while filming, although it does interrupt the movie with a click sound and a still.

He has a Canon.

Of course, he simply uploads videos to his computer like photographs and then strings them together and burns a DVD in order to send them off.

The only downside seems to be that we never know if he's photographing us or filming us. As a result, we have a lot of videos that begin with us pausing and smiling, then asking if he is filming!

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a lot of experience with camcorders. But I would quickly plug HD SLR video shooting as presented at something like http://www.dslrnewsshooter.com/

With the release of the T3i, the T2i will be approaching the $500 range and you won't need a separate camera and camcorder (and thus can combine your budgets for the two). That said, you can quickly blow a big hole in most people's budgets with accessories so this is just a low probability suggestion.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
One caution against using a digicam for video is that many/most cannot adjust autofocus while recording video. This makes them poor devices for recording video where the distance between you and the subject you are recording can change substantially as is the case with a lot of sporting events.

We do most of our video recording with a Canon T2i DSLR and the quality is amazing, but the focus issue is occasionally an issue. If we recording a lot of sports I'd probably get a dedicated camcorder.

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
The other problem with digicams is that they're constantly adjusting lighting / tone / hue. If you use them in video mode, most of them will experience color-shifting when the light changes (and sometimes just randomly).
Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of high end point and shoots, in the $300 range, do zoom and autofocus even while in use.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.