FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Radiohead (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Radiohead
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
What do you guys think of Radiohead?

I am listening to their full albums in chronological order. So far, I've listened to Pablo Honey and The Bends. I think The Bends is much cooler overall, but it was important to hear where they first came from.

Thoughts?

Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never gotten what all the fuss is about. Admittedly I've never tried to go through and listen to ALL of their music, but I've heard enough to know that I don't think it's anything special other than a couple individual songs that are good.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always loved the song Creep, and have nothing negative to say about the band nor their music but I'm with Lyr on this one. There are a surprising amount of people who go nanners over the oddest Radiohead related things.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I think of radiohead, I have an instant mental association of it with:

(1) my friends who listened to radiohead, combined with
(2) what they were like at the time they were most obsessed with radiohead

It is not a pleasant or fair mental association. It makes me think of radiohead as a useless twerpy scorned "visionary" who wears thick black eyeglass frames and ill-fittingly tight turtlenecks with retro-ironic references stamped all over his mac laptop and he spends his days in trendy coffeehouses positioned with his Proust novel stuck way out because he really desperately needs for people to see what he is reading and he really hopes a girl comes up is like 'oh wow proust you are so edgy' soon but they don't so he cuts up his arms real badly in a bathroom while listening to OK Computer because it has been two months since carly left him because he is kind of freaky codependent boyfriend and also because he is manic depressive and has been unmedicated for two years because he doesn't believe in the western medicine diagnosis of bipolar and has insisted through three bombastic job and family bridge-burnings that he is treating himself successfully with herbal remedy and 'new spiritual guidance'

It takes a lot to look past that and realize that, yeah, radiohead is actually good enough to validly be a big deal, musically

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Wow.

There's a lot going on there.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
The solo album from Thomas York is AMAZING...I love almost every single song on that album.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes, you have a long way to go Rival. I have almost zero appreciation for Pablo Honey these days. It's probably been about ten years since I've listened to it. I'm sure it's not actually as bad as I remember it, it's just that if I ever feel like listening to Radiohead, which is often, I'll just always choose Kid A or In Rainbows or OK Computer or The Bends or Hail to the Thief or Amnesiac before I'd ever consider listening to Pablo Honey.

Listening to the albums in order will give you a nice sense of how Radiohead has evolved over time.

Seeing Radiohead live was my favorite concert experience I've ever had. I'm seeing them again this spring, and I can't wait.

I know there are a bunch of other Radiohead fans at Hatrack, we've had various threads pop up over the years.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
The solo album from Thomas York is AMAZING...I love almost every single song on that album.

Yeah, that really is a great album. When I first got it I thought it was mostly a decent album that I'd listen to as background music. But it really grew on me and became a regular staple in my music listening.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
The Bends and OK Computer are two albums I don't think anybody should miss. There's just so much going on there. And rather than just riff on that style until nobody was listening anymore, Radiohead moved on in a completely different direction. I haven't liked everything they've done, and some of it I flat out dislike, but there is amazing talent in that band, even if their music lacks some of the pop sensibility of their earlier music.

Their later stuff isn't instantly accessible but if you are in the right mood and you just keep listening you find things to appreciate.

But I mean seriously, I mean listen to that! If that song can't easily be transformed into a bazillion covers I don't know what can.

Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a pretty casual Radiohead fan. I really prefer The Bends, OK Computer, and In Rainbows then most of their other records; though, I have them all. So, I guess that disqualifies me from being a "casual" fan. In my defense, my music collection is so immense that having a band's discography like that is a flash in the pan of the total collection.

For what it's worth, a friend of mine works as a band director at a community college and teaches a number of music theory classes, and he says Radiohead is a "band for musicians." He believes their compositions and musical choices appeal even more so to the musically "educated" than to a casual radio listener.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

I know Orincoro is really into them.

Also, this thread put me in a Radiohead mood, so I thought I'd share if anyone hasn't seen this yet:

In Rainbows - From The Basement

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Steve. They are amazing live, too. I think In Rainbows is criminally under-rated by the hipster set. I think it is better than OK Computer, musically, if not thematically.
Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
I know Orincoro is really into them.

Yes. And I get haterism backlash whiplash every time they get discussed anywhere because somebody (ahem) has an opinion about them that is based less on their music, than on the other people that listen to their music. Or the band themselves, or the cover art, or whatever. As Sam mentioned, these feelings are more than common- they seem to be practically a rule among informed listeners who aren't out and out fans.

I'm a devotee of the music, and that's it. I studied it rather seriously as an academic pursuit, and probably know as much about their production techniques and compositional style, from a theoretical perspective, as anyone who hasn't worked directly with them. and based on what I know about musicians, I probably know more about some of their music than they do. But that's not uncommon at all.

And if you've heard any of my music, you've heard the results of me spending an uncounted series of sleepless nights listening to stems and 6 second loops of their music, and attempting to achieve every electronic effect I heard. The results were often half-disappointing. I eventually found out how many stock effects Radiohead has employed over the years (a lot). But I Also learned a few things they've never done, do it was still worth it.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Bokonon:
I'm with Steve. They are amazing live, too. I think In Rainbows is criminally under-rated by the hipster set. I think it is better than OK Computer, musically, if not thematically.

It never appealed to hipsters because, I think, it was far less obvious than Ok Computer or HTTF was. The mood was actually very strait forward, but the content was very ethereal and imprecise. so the angsty bits were harder to grab onto. The album is much less quotable, as a result, and hipsters love quotables.

Incidentally, I'm convinced that TY knocked together King of Limbs in a weekender something. It's the most unfocused album in their catalogue. And I include the first.

[ January 30, 2012, 12:44 AM: Message edited by: Orincoro ]

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

I was disappointed with King of Limbs. I think the second half of the album is much stronger than the first half, but it was a lackluster follow up to In Rainbows.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bokonon:
I think In Rainbows is criminally under-rated by the hipster set.

Good. It's ironically a compliment.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
They were my favourite band for a long time. I still enjoy them, but I don't listen to them all that much anymore. I've seen them twice, and both shows were excellent; I like pretty much all of their material more live than on the albums. A lot of bands either don't hold up live at all or sound identical to the albums, but Radiohead change things up while staying tight.

They're certainly a band worth exploring, just don't believe all the hyperbolic praise you'll read about them on sites like Pitchfork.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, surprised at all the lukewarm reviews here.

There are many bands I personally like better than Radiohead, but none still active that I would say are objectively better. Yorke in particular has a very rare talent for a rock singer.

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Not a fan, I'm afraid. They're whiny and morose, even when they aren't trying to be.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

How dare you sir!

:doffs white leather glove:

Take that!

Destineer
Member # 821

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Not a fan, I'm afraid. They're whiny and morose, even when they aren't trying to be.

I can actually see where this criticism is coming from. What I can't understand is a listener who is underwhelmed by the singing, songwriting or execution.
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been an avid Radiohead fan since I first heard/saw the Paranoid Android video on MTV. I don't think I've liked any other band as much as I've liked Radiohead. While in my opinion they're approaching their twilight (if TKOL was any indication) I still haven't found a band that can match their ability to amaze me with just about every song they write.

I'm glad to see a pretty comprehensive library of Radiohead music on Spotify.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Destineer:
quote:

I can actually see where this criticism is coming from. What I can't understand is a listener who is underwhelmed by the singing, songwriting or execution.
Give me five songs to listen to that you really think show off their best, or their essence, and try to change my mind. I'm almost always willing to give something a second listen if a fan wants to point me in the right direction, but I don't really have the time, and there's just too much music out there, to hack away at something I'm not enjoying pretty early into trying.
Strider
Member # 1807

5 songs? That's an incredibly difficult request you've just made.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Yep. Dig deep.

If you can't do it in five, it probably won't happen with more.

Destineer
Member # 821

I guess I'll leave it to the true fan, Orincoro, to meet your challenge. I'd probably just pick five random songs from Kid A (which should be enough to convince anyone, as far as I'm concerned).
Strider
Member # 1807

Lyrhawn, the problem is there is just so much, and so many different types of songs to give you. I can give you 5 amazing songs, and another radiohead fan will give you 5 different amazing songs, and the two sets might sound nothing alike. If I knew what kind of music you like I could at least cater it somewhat.

But here goes, five at random that popped into my head.

Everything in its right place - Kid A
Street Spirit - The Bends
Weird Fishes/Arpeggi - In Rainbows
Nude - In Rainbows
Talk Show Host or True Love Waits (not on studio albums, but you should be able to find them)

Something like Idioteque off of Kid A is one of my favorite Radiohead songs, but I'm not sure it's the best one to recommend. You might hate it.

I'm assuming you've heard songs like Fake Plastic Trees and Paranoid Android, correct? If not, listen to them.

[ January 30, 2012, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: Strider ]

twinky
Member # 693

I'll approach it a little differently. Here's a 5-song Radiohead playlist, to be listened to in order:

1. Planet Telex
2. Talk Show Host
3. Optimistic
4. Lucky
5. Reckoner

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

No way, that list has some deep cuts- we're talking about 5 introductory songs.

1. Everything in It's Right Place (Kid A)
2. Videotape (in Rainbows)
3. Paranoid Android (Ok Computer)
4. Fake Plastic Trees (The Bends)
5. Exit Music (For a Film) (Ok Computer)

But the problem, obviously, is that it's like asking for the top 5 Beetles tracks. There are so many contenders that top 5 has little meaning.

advice for robots
Member # 2544

I'd put No Surprises in there instead of Videotape (although then you have 3 from OK Computer).
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:

I get into the same twilight territory with Muse.

Stop whining, I say, shaking my fist at my kitchen pandora laptop, stop whining god damn it bellamy, you stop whining this instant or so help me I'll put on Boston.

Destineer
Member # 821

Ha. I definitely agree about Muse.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

At least with Muse, they'll break out of it for a sufficient enough quantum of good songs for me to still be very much so a fan.

With radiohead, I don't need to listen to them at all anymore because that breakout quantum does not and will not exist, and, yes, I do not elect for whiny.

Destineer
Member # 821

Really? I feel like the best Muse songs are the ones where they execute their formula especially well. And conversely, when they stray too far from the formula, they don't seem to execute as well.

Undisclosed Desires might be an exception?

Samprimary
Member # 8561

I don't know. I like some of Muse's high-energy version of "whiny" if we're counting songs like Map of the Problematique as whiny. But I see no comparative deficiency in execution for their songs which I cannot fathom a single possible interpretation of whiny for, like this.

Contrast that with Radiohead-whiny which I will pass on, every time.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:
I'd put No Surprises in there instead of Videotape (although then you have 3 from OK Computer).

No reason to put No Surprises and Fake Plastic Trees both in the list. Stylistically their the same song.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Destineer:
quote:

What I don't agree with is a judgement based on mood, over style, technique, and execution.

And if you think Radiohead's music is pervasively "morose," I wonder how much of their catalogue you've actually listened to. I would certainly call a few of their albums moodier than the others, and there are some darker songs, but that just isn't the prevailing mood. I would be hard pressed to describe a prevailing mood, but morose would not be it.

For all that they are better musicians and as evolved as artists as the Beatles ever were, Radiohead *is* almost utterly humorless. And in the rock tradition, humorless music gets a raft of crap it doesn't usually deserve, just for *not* being humorous. But it's understandable that they remain inaccessible to many people, when they have no sense of humor. For this, I mostly blame Yorke, who is a pompous ass by most accounts.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

I actually don't care at all whether or not a band is 'humorless' and like plenty of humorless bands. And while I agree that radiohead is a very talented band, it's very much so not for me precisely because of the mood of its prevalent execution. I checked with those top five lists and quit about halfway through each one, wondering if there was perhaps an yorke-free version.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

You quit halfway through Paranoid Android? Have you no soul?
advice for robots
Member # 2544

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:

No reason to put No Surprises and Fake Plastic Trees both in the list. Stylistically their the same song.
I'm just not seeing Videotape as a good introductory song to Radiohead, even if it does occupy its own style space. But I'm biased. I never liked the song.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

There are no Yorke-free versions of Radiohead songs unless you count the handful of instrumental songs they've done, which probably still have plenty of Yorke's influence in them.

Radiohead is Yorkeful if it is anything.

quote:

He didn't even get to the good part. You know, the part where Thom Yorke sings really pretty about pigskin and vomit.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:

I do, and paranoid android reminded me I had one. Because it was nonplussed and said "hey, hold on, you paused jimmy thackery and the drivers for this? wotsa matter, kid, need a hug and some ketamine?"

it continued to fuss until I turned Apache back on.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
There are no Yorke-free versions of Radiohead songs unless you count the handful of instrumental songs they've done, which probably still have plenty of Yorke's influence in them.

That's a shame. I'd dig an instrumental version of everything in its right place
Orincoro
Member # 8854

I have 8 versions of that song alone in my library, including acoustic versions by 3 different artists.

Christopher O'reilly is best known for his piano versions of Radiohead songs. The pieces are hotly debated among aficionados. There are myriad other takes as well. I could give you a list with recommendations if you have an interest.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:

quote:

He didn't even get to the good part. You know, the part where Thom Yorke sings really pretty about pigskin and vomit.
I wrote a paper on this song, many years ago. It's "nirvana" I believe. Not "vomit"
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm just not seeing Videotape as a good introductory song to Radiohead, even if it does occupy its own style space. But I'm biased. I never liked the song.
Then pick something that isn't in the identical style space as the other songs, is my point. You could put Trees, No Surprises, High and Dry, Go to Sleep, and Just, and the impression would be that Radiohead is a completely different band from Kid A, Pakt, 15 Step, Lotus Flower, or Nude.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Stop Whispering
High and Dry
Karma Police
Everything in Its Right Place
I Might Be Wrong
2+2=5
Weird Fishes
Separator

One song that represents the mood of each LP might be a good enough introduction to Radiohead and show the long evolution of styles the band's been through. Now, if you're talking about a scholarly analysis of the songs' styles as the basis for picking a suitably eclectic song mix, then you're already way over my head.

The lyrics, according to my OK Computer CD case and a quick check of several lyrics sites, are:

The panic, the vomit
the panic, the vomit
God loves his children
God loves his children, yeah.

twinky
Member # 693

Yeah, I always understood it to be vomit.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Stop Whispering
High and Dry
Karma Police
Everything in Its Right Place
I Might Be Wrong
2+2=5
Weird Fishes
Separator

One song that represents the mood of each LP might be a good enough introduction to Radiohead and show the long evolution of styles the band's been through. Now, if you're talking about a scholarly analysis of the songs' styles as the basis for picking a suitably eclectic song mix, then you're already way over my head. .

Interesting. None would be my picks from their respective albums.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

0 for 8, huh?

It would be an interesting exercise to figure out which song best represents each album.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.