FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ender's Game Expectations? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ender's Game Expectations?
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
What can we figure out just from looking at the poster?!
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

That it's coming out in 2013. And that there will be excessive lens flare. Then again, Kurtzman and Orci (Star Trek) couldn't do a sci-fi flick without it. My guess is that it's written into the script as a named character.
Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

That someone with ten free minutes and Photoshop is news worthy.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they paid someone a lot of money for ten minutes work . . . because that poster's genuine.
Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it. Had they given a bugger, a starship and an Ender it'd look like Alien vs. Alien Reloaded: Next Generation.
Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

quote:
Originally posted by Aros:
Well, they paid someone a lot of money for ten minutes work . . . because that poster's genuine.

How do I get that job?
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
alien vs lensflare
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Like hey there's no information indicating that that very basic poster is official promo stuff and if it is it's just some thing thrown together real early for promo material. in conclusion: lensflare
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

Well, as an OSC's fan I am pretty ashamed to admit I do not know whether title's "Game" refers to psychogame or Battleroom. I suppose it's the latter, cause OSC wrote the short story first, about the room. So they could give a Battleroom, and Asa Butterfield in it in a flashsuit. But maybe the movie is more about flashlens...
Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It's both.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought it refered to the (MASSIVE SPOILER) not-game where he didn't realize he was sending real people to their deaths and killing real aliens.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

Yeah, I guess that too. So it's all three, I guess.
Rivka, I never read the original short story. Is there anything about the psychogame there?

T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Do we have to spoiler EG plot points?

I always assumed Ender's Game was war.

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

Don't know if you're joking or not, but I think it's impossible to be on this forum and not have read EG.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Szymon:
Rivka, I never read the original short story. Is there anything about the psychogame there?

It's been a while, but I think so.

And we certainly have had forum members who had not read EG, but I don't know that we have any currently.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

I just thought that to want to find this forum one must read at least one of OSC's books. Maybe I made a wrong presumption that it was EG. But then, after reading any other book or series one must turn to EG, I think. It's obligatory.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by Szymon:

It's been a while, but I think so.

And we certainly have had forum members who had not read EG, but I don't know that we have any currently.

Actually no. If you recall the afterword (if you read it or listened on audible) to the 20th anniversary edition, OSC talked about how he invented th fantasy game as a way of filling out the story world in his re-write of the short story as a novel. The fantasy game, as I recall from my last reading of the Short story, doesn't appear there. Neither do Dr. Device, or Ender's family.

It stuck with me, because given OSC's own stated method of writing (mental outline to single draft), and yet how successful this atypical example of method was, that he didn't switch to drafting out novels with treatments more often. He has explained that drafting doesn't work for his books, but you could hardly argue that his best book doesn't work.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Oh, psychogame = Fantasy Game! Sorry, did not get that at all.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I always thought that the game in the title was a multilevel reference as there are more then one being played.

You have the actual game of battle school (and command school), with the armies and the flash suits (and simulators).

The mental game between Ender and his teachers, which ultimately, the teachers win.

Also the fantasy game world as well.

And of course the "game" of war which **SPOILERS** Ender doesn't actually know he is playing.

Szymon
Member # 7103

Yeah, that's right, his whole early life is a game and so is the war. But battleroom is easiest to picture on the poster [Wink]
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
I always thought that the game in the title was a multilevel reference as there are more then one being played.

:literary pontificating ahead:

The "Game" referred to in Ender's Game is a multilevel reference to the various games, physical and psychological, that are played throughout the narrative: Stilson playing "tennis" with Ender, Buggers and astronauts, the mind game, the battle room, the manipulations of Graff and Rakhem, Peter and Valentine on the nets, and the Simulator itself.

It is also an examination (excuse the word: deconstruction) of our basic conceptions of civilization and civilized behavior. The children, though innocent of the complications of adult lives (think: the jokes of the adolescents that Ender doesn't understand), re-enact adult conflicts and power struggles through "play." Though their play is itself very serious and consequential to the outcome of real-world events, the children themselves act only on the instinct for competitiveness and favor-seeking that is natural to children. So while they are, through action, responsible for terrible tragedies, they are not volitionally responsible for the situations that have been created around them. It's sort of like Lord of the Flies, only the children are there at the behest of the adults, and not by accident.

While this may sound like a restatement of "Creating the Innocent Killer," which is a much discussed analysis of the work that I don't necessarily agree with, my view is that the theme is applicable to all levels of the plot. The adults, like the children, are placed by circumstance into situations they can't really control, and in which they act out a script that was written into their being from the beginning. Compete and succeed. It's really about the idea that as a race and a culture, all of humanity is capable of the most deplorable act, of murder and genocide, because life itself is a game which must have winners and losers.

That all set the stage for the final scenes in Speaker for The Dead, in which Human (unsubtly clear reference there) says, to paraphrase: "We know that you gave us great gifts when you could have taken from us what little we did have... But why would you give us these gifts, if you did not mean for us to become great?" To which Ender replies: "You tried to make Libo and Pipo father trees, even though they weren't of your tribe." You can't properly appreciate the overall theme of EG without looking at SftD, because this encapsulates the central argument: namely that competition and otherness will and must always lead to unilateral destruction, and that while cultural difference can lead to violence, cultural seperatism and elitism are far *more* destructive.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

Orincoro, you put it really nicely. One thing I sometimes forget about is Ender's name. Having heard and thought about the name so much it's completely stripped of it's meaning in my head, like Andrew. But hey- *Ender's* Game? He sure does finish a lot of stuff.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.