FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My own personal geekfest

Author Topic: My own personal geekfest
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I just had the most awesome weekend and wanted to share with some people who would appreciate it.

I met some friends in Orlando this weekend to go to the Harry Potter theme park. It was awesome. That night we decided to see the Phantom Menace in 3D at the theater at Universal Studios. It didn't help make the movie good. BUT, on our way out there were members of the 501st Legion hanging out at the theater and they rocked. The next day we want to the Kennedy Space Center and had a geeky day more grounded (zing!) in the real world. In a totally unexpected turn of events, a few days before heading down to Orlando I found out there was going to be a Lebowski Fest going on in the city the same weekend! The Big Lebowski is my favorite movie and the fortuitousness of this was just too much (almost makes want to believe in god)! I just happen to have a Lebowski costume lying in wait, and brought it with me. For good measure, we watched some episodes of Firefly in our hotel room at night!

I've never had some a totally awesome geek filled weekend. If only we had run across some Hobbits, it would've been complete.

If you're on facebook, I uploaded an album. It's public, so I think you should be able to see it.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150766743678082.504356.822753081&type=1

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
You look so happy! [Smile]
Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Thanks CT, I was!

By the way, for anyone that's been thinking about it, the Harry Potter theme park is really impressive. It's not huge, and if the park isn't crowded you can do everything in half a day. But everything is really fun, and there are so many neat details. Even if it is crowded, they are really smart with the lines (especially for the castle) and even if there's a long wait, there's actually a lot to entertain you along the way. It's totally worth it.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
That looks like so much fun! That's like 6 months of geekery shoved in a few days. *jealous* I've never been to the Kennedy Space Center so that may have to join my list of things to do in Florida.

I've been dying to go to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. My mother, my youngest brother, and I have been trying to arrange it for awhile now but we have to schedule it around his weird school holidays and my new inability to tolerate summer temperatures. All of my friends who have gone have absolutely raved about it.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you... drinking butter beer at the top of the page? I too am jealous sir.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Hah...yes. It was incredibly tasty!
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
*jealous*
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.